[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

7 hours ago, luz5020 said:

So I'm new to the game and even tho i did all the tutorials I have some issues with getting into orbit

The trick for orbit is it is two burns: one to set your apoapsis altitude, and a second one to circularize the orbit at that altitude. And I fly the launch burn by hand always, because I find I can do better than MJ and can get my orbit finalized with considerably less delta V than he uses. So basically, I fly the launch burn to hit an apoapsis height, and then I shut down the engines. Then I use MJ's maneuver planner and select Circularize and At the Next Apoapsis, hit create node, then execute node. The end result is you're in a nearly perfect circular orbit.

Honestly, if you're just having trouble with launches, try this mod:

It's simpler than MechJeb's ascent guidance, an generally works better in my experience.  It doesn't have all the features of MechJeb (and you'll still want MechJeb), but it does launches well.

42 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Honestly, if you're just having trouble with launches, try this mod:

It's simpler than MechJeb's ascent guidance, an generally works better in my experience.  It doesn't have all the features of MechJeb (and you'll still want MechJeb), but it does launches well.

If you switch the ascent autopilot from "Classic" to "Gravity Turn" style you more or less get this kind of ascent.  It'll do the intermediate altitude stuff, but I'd recommend just setting your intermediate altitude to your target altitude and doing a 2-burn ascent.  It doesn't support any sort of auto-tuning though or doing any of the pitching up at the intermediate altitude to deal with low TWR engines, but it is very simple and effective for what it does.  Since it flies strictly zero-AoA it can help with flippy rockets and bad aerodynamics.

Edited by Jim DiGriz

What the hell is going on with the maneuver autopilot? I have a manned station orbiting Duna, and I'm trying to send other components for building the station in orbit. 

It worked perfectly fine earlier today, and now whenever I try to select "Transfer to another planet" at "next available window" I get told "an error occured while creating the node". Literally nothing has changed between when I last used it, and now, yet it doesn't work for ANY craft transferring to ANY planet. For clarification

-  I have done F5/F9 saves, I reset the game, and my entire PC

- I am controlling from the proper part

- The engine I plan on using is enabled

- I have communications established everywhere

- My target is selected

-  My inclination is 0 degrees

-  My orbit is eccentric, and is above 100km

As said above, it went from working fine to suddenly not working under any circumstances at all. If I check the ingame F12 console, I see many lines of "timeout exception brents rootfinding method maximum iterations" in red. What gives?

When it comes to the landing autopilot, it's not being nearly as accurate as it could be, at least in my testing. I was trying it out on the Mun in a JNSQ game, dropping landers from 20k or so. The process I saw was first a burn to get the plane in line with the target, then a burn that puts the impact point right on the target. But then, at about 2500m or so, it does a burn that brings it to a dead stop, and it drops straight down from there.

So obviously every time it comes up well short of the target, 400-500m or so in each case I tried and I tried 6 different landers.

If on step 2 it set its impact point beyond the target landing point, when it did its burn at 2500m it could drop straight down on the landing target.

4 hours ago, Jim DiGriz said:

This is hard, I've been working on trying to make it better for months.  Circular parking orbits are going to be more successful.

So then...what is the issue with transfer to another planet? Because as of today, I can do ejection burns at the next transfer window FROM Duna TO Kerbin, but I cannot do the same TO Duna FROM Kerbin

Hi,

I just installed MechJeb2. Unfortunately, the game loading stops at a moment and gets stuck. Here is the log:

[EXC 00:25:50.073] ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
    System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
    AssemblyLoader+LoadedAssembyList.GetPathByType (System.Type type) (at <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0)
    AssemblyLoader.GetPathByType (System.Type type) (at <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0)
    KSP.IO.IOUtils.GetFilePathFor (System.Type T, System.String file, Vessel flight) (at <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0)
    NavUtilLib.GlobalVariables.Settings.getPathFor (System.String subdir) (at <f862bca6125f4e2e94637a46c1e5d4c5>:0)
    NavUtilLib.GlobalVariables.Settings..cctor () (at <f862bca6125f4e2e94637a46c1e5d4c5>:0)
    Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'NavUtilLib.GlobalVariables.Settings' threw an exception.
    InternalModule.Load (ConfigNode node) (at <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0)
    InternalProp.AddModule (ConfigNode node) (at <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0)
    InternalProp.Load (ConfigNode node) (at <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0)
    PartLoader.LoadInternalProp (UrlDir+UrlConfig urlConf) (at <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0)
    PartLoader+<CompileInternalProps>d__75.MoveNext () (at <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)

Do you know what I could do to address this problem? Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, sarbian said:

You have an other mod that was not build for KSP 1.8+

Sure, but when I remove that outdated mod (that is to say Navutilities), the problem will still happen: the loading stops at "extensions":

[LOG 14:51:27.746] No Expansions detected
[EXC 14:51:27.762] ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
    System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
    AssemblyLoader.GetTypesOfClassesImplementingInterface[T] () (at <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0)
    Expansions.Missions.MissionsUtils.InitialiseAdjusterTypes () (at <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0)
    Expansions.ExpansionsLoader+<LoadExpansions>d__21.MoveNext () (at <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    Expansions.ExpansionsLoader:StartLoad()
    <LoadSystems>d__11:MoveNext()
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

Edited by Hippodingo

9 hours ago, Hippodingo said:

Sure, but when I remove that outdated mod (that is to say Navutilities), the problem will still happen: the loading stops at "extensions":

You really need to post logs for anyone to have a chance of diagnosing this.  I'd guess you have a bunch of MiniAVC.dlls intalled that came bundled with other mods that may themselves be compatible.  These can cause this problem in 1.8+.  Install ZeroMiniAVC to disable them.

Edited by Tonka Crash

10 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

You really need to post logs for anyone to have a chance of diagnosing this.  I'd guess you have a bunch of MiniAVC.dlls intalled that came bundled with other mods that may themselves be compatible.  These can cause this problem in 1.8+.  Install ZeroMiniAVC to disable them.

What I posted isn't the logs? I'm a newbie at it :/

Besides, I have already installed ZeroMiniAVC for a very long time

4 hours ago, Hippodingo said:

What I posted isn't the logs? I'm a newbie at it :/

Besides, I have already installed ZeroMiniAVC for a very long time

You posted a snippet of your log, not the complete log.  Upload it to a file sharing site like Dropbox and post a link here.

Edited by Tonka Crash

15 minutes ago, Hippodingo said:

Ok, thanks for your explanation :)

Here is the link to my log file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngvd6cmeqq11ogn/KSP.log?dl=0

Your MechJeb is ancient.  2.8.3.0 was for 1.6.  Also the Module Manager is a 1.4 era version.  I didn't check everything else, but you need to go through and make sure your mods are up to date. 

36 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

Your MechJeb is ancient.  2.8.3.0 was for 1.6.  Also the Module Manager is a 1.4 era version.  I didn't check everything else, but you need to go through and make sure your mods are up to date. 

Thanks a lot, I upgraded mods, now the game works correctly! :)

In the past this thread has had some discussion about mechjeb's landing autopilot being quirky, especially on Duna. I just wanted to share that I've found that I can get very good results with it if I only rely on it for the last leg, as it were.

For example, I'm building a base on Duna, which is at 0 latitude and 50d0'0"E longitude. So I:

* Arrange my orbit to be 80km with 0d inclination.

* Perform de-orbit burn at around 36d W (think of it as just -36d E), burning until the (Kerbal Engineer) estimated landing/impact point is at about 60d E

* This means that the atmosphere starts getting thick enough for some decent drag at around 40-45d E, at around 13k altitude, depending on the drag of the lander

* Fire a deceleration burn and/or open chutes at about 48d E

With this setup, I have pretty low velocity and am over the landing site with a margin of 5-10km. Then I cut chutes (if applicable) and only THEN tell Mechjeb to take over the landing. When I do it like this, it lands on a frigging dime. As in, I had to panic and act quickly to stop it landing literally on top of the target vessel when I forgot to jog the landing coordinates a little bit away first.

I hope this is helpful.

Sorry for being the guy with a zillion questions. Can you tell I got back into KSP recently and have become kinda clueless? :)

So, sometimes when I switch to a new craft, or decouple/undock, I will suddenly find my craft staging, which can deploy parachutes and activate decouplers and other things that ruin you day when they happen at the wrong time. Inevitably when this happens, I've learned that if I check the Ascent Guidance mechjeb window, "Autostage" will be active.

If I restore from a save (when I can) and disable "autostage" before whatever seems to have triggered it, everything goes just fine, as you'd normally expect. I guess this makes sense, given how autostage is meant to operate; usually I have a full tank and an inactive rocket on the next stage, or something. But here's what makes it weird:

* I was not using, and had never used "ascent guidance" on the craft in question. Yes I checked that I hadn't somehow accidentally turned it on.

* I've taken to checking the "ascent guidance" window frequently before doing things that might trigger the issue, so I can often say for certain that autostage was not previously enabled on that vessel.

* If I open the mechjeb "utilities" window, the autostage option _there_ is still disabled.

If this is a bug I can obviously report it more formally with logs, though repro is hard because it's seemingly random. But if it's a quirk, or even the result of intended behavior, I'd love to know what I might be doing wrong to trigger it.

Anyone else having a bug where Stock SAS and RCS would not engage? I mean after some time flying, using Advanced Transfer and etc with MechJeb, game just refuses to engage Stock SAS and RCS (using T or R buttons, or doing it manually with buttons on Navball). It's not connection or not having a crew problem. Connection is 100% and pilot is 2nd or 3rd level. It just won't let engage SAS or turn on RCS. I noticed it usually occurs after using Porkchop selection to another planed. But it also can occur more randomly.

4 hours ago, Selphadur said:

Anyone else having a bug where Stock SAS and RCS would not engage? I mean after some time flying, using Advanced Transfer and etc with MechJeb, game just refuses to engage Stock SAS and RCS (using T or R buttons, or doing it manually with buttons on Navball). It's not connection or not having a crew problem. Connection is 100% and pilot is 2nd or 3rd level. It just won't let engage SAS or turn on RCS. I noticed it usually occurs after using Porkchop selection to another planed. But it also can occur more randomly.

Are you using MJ's own SmartA.S.S to point the craft? That overrides stock.

4 minutes ago, Tokamak said:

Are you using MJ's own SmartA.S.S to point the craft? That overrides stock.

I know that it overrides stock. When that bug happens all MechJeb stuff is disabled (such as SmartASS).
When I press button to enable RCS or SAS it enables for like half a second and disables. 
It would not be much of a problem as I could just use SmartASS, but this bug also disables RCS. I can't toggle it (turn it on).

2 minutes ago, Selphadur said:

I know that it overrides stock. When that bug happens all MechJeb stuff is disabled (such as SmartASS).
When I press button to enable RCS or SAS it enables for like half a second and disables. 
It would not be much of a problem as I could just use SmartASS, but this bug also disables RCS. I can't toggle it (turn it on).

Just making sure, because that is a problem someone could have if they didn't know. Other than that, I've got nothing, so hopefully someone else has an idea.

Just now, Tokamak said:

Just making sure, because that is a problem someone could have if they didn't know. Other than that, I've got nothing, so hopefully someone else has an idea.

I understand.
Yeah, that is really annoying.
At first I thought that other mods are messing things, such as Gravity Turn or Vertical Landing Redux. But after deleting all other "navigational" mods problem persisted.
Also there was another bug I encountered. When trying to use stock maneuver editor that is bellow staging (one where you select Docking, Staging, Maneuvering), where all points for precision editing are (Prograde, Retrograde and etc) if you start using it there is weird glitch making that button to become bigger every time you press it. For example I recently discovered this feature that was added in 1.7 I believe (after 400hours of playing, ha ha) and started editing new maneuver node, started pressing Prograde button and noticed it started to get bigger. So curious as I am I started to press it more. And behold, my screen was green after Prograde button became massively huge. And this glitch did not disappear after exiting map mode, it persisted even after loading (I quicksaved with this glitch to check it out). 

I do not touch this stock maneuver editor again after discovering it as it glitched out the moment I started to use it. 

I am not sure if this is related to MechJeb too as I did not tried it again after deleting all other navigational mods and don't want to touch that thing again and glitch it.

But regarding locking up of RCS and SAS I am 80% sure it's MechJeb as it is similar behaviour to when MechJeb turns off stuff automatically doing stuff like executing maneuver node, except in this case it does not return any control to toggling SAS and ASS even when all MechJeb stuff is turned off.