[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

I have the Imgur album: http://imgur.com/gallery/6GXB8

It has screenshots of the bugs visible from map view. Some are copies (I didn't feel like going through them and figuring out which ones to get rid of). For a few, I marked them up to make it easier to see the seams and other such things.

It's good that Olei and Olemut at least have no bugs (as far as I can tell). The mod's namesake is bugless. Hurrah!

21 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

I have the Imgur album: http://imgur.com/gallery/6GXB8

It has screenshots of the bugs visible from map view. Some are copies (I didn't feel like going through them and figuring out which ones to get rid of). For a few, I marked them up to make it easier to see the seams and other such things.

It's good that Olei and Olemut at least have no bugs (as far as I can tell). The mod's namesake is bugless. Hurrah!

I've fixed or tried to smooth the pole holes or spikes, but there's not much else I can do about it. It might be a game issue, but I'll need to look further into it. Again, as for the jagged texture seams, that's because I use PNG images, and the game joins the edges of the textures in a funny way. It's noticeable on OPM and KerbalOrigins as well - that might be an issue I can't really get round.

I think I'll release 0.9.9 today and see if there is anything up with the planets, or if anyone else reports problems. The bugs you reported are very useful and i'll see what i can do about them, though I can't guarantee them being fixed. All I need to do now? Biome maps and science definitions... Not my favourite!

On 2/25/2017 at 9:57 PM, Gamel0rd1 said:

I have decided I shall give that a go, the whole thing by hand (apart from fractal noise here and there, of course!)

It is a start, is it not? I can iron out the jagged, mis-connected edges. I need a new atmospheric body and yours looks incredible! I'm going for a more tectonic look, so these are the plates, and therefore the heightmap's outline:xB1KXsi.png

(it's really bad)

EDIT: I'm still struggling with the height pixellation. After looking at your planets you appear to have none! Same thing with OPM. I've no idea what I'm doing wrong - it's definitely because the deformity makes the height map stretch and so the difference between pixels is bigger - basically distorting it.

Is the answer 8k textures? For me, no. My mod size is already above 450MB, and it will rise further with more detail... I'll see how my next planet goes.

The creation method I use is something I've learned from an expert, though I promised to keep the method a secret. Therefore I won't spill the beans on how exactly I create those textures.

I can help you create a better specular map though (a map where the black areas are land and white areas are water).

Here's what to do: in GIMP or Photoshop, let it generate a cloud-like noise, then knock up the contrast all the way until only pure white and black remain. Before applying this change, adjust the brightness to change the water-land ratio. This should leave you with a texture of small islands. Copy and paste these into your map as you see fit. You can then polar correct the image by applying the polar coordinates distortion, manually fixing the pinching, then re-running the polar coordinates but with the effect inverted. Repeat this for both poles.

Regarding pixels, I use 4K maps. I can do 8K but that'd blow up people's computers, the mod is heavy as is. "This is KSP modding not computer genocide."

What I use instead is only using the heightmap as a base and using PQSMods to smoothen the terrain by adding noise to it, effectively terminating the pixelisation just because the noise overrides it. I recommend messing with VertexHeightNoise and VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute.

Edited by The White Guardian

14 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

a map where the black areas are land and white areas are water

Call me silly, but isn't water black on a map? Or are heightmaps/specular maps different. If so, why not invert the colours?

Edited by Gamel0rd1

Just now, Gamel0rd1 said:

Call me silly, but isn't water black? Or are heightmaps/specular maps different. If so, why not invert the colours?

A specular map is more of a shininess representation. :D

It's not going to be applied in-game though, so you can invert the colours if you want to.

Welcome to version 0.9.9.9.9.9.9! (yes we're getting close, don't make me add another .9!)

We got a new planet, in between Eve and Moho; Scorch! It's got a nice cool 700 degree C atmosphere. Oh did I say cool? Well it isn't hot enough to be a star, is it!

We also have... an easter egg.

3wab83m.jpg

Changelog coming soon. Pushed for time!

Edited by Gamel0rd1

Also @Gamel0rd1 if you want to split up the pack into several smaller 'packs' all part of the same mod to reduce memory usage there's an easier way to do it.

Remember the screenshot at my DeviantArt? I used a handy little feature that I came up with in the configs that allows for in-depth customization. Simply add :NEEDS[TAG] to the first Kopernicus-adressing line. For the 'TAG', enter a specific tag for that part of the pack. For example a planet and it's moons share the same tag. Once that's in place the planets with a specific tag will only load if another config reads '@Kopernicus:FOR[TAG]'

This means that if you remove the config with the 'unlocking tag' for a part of the mod, that part of the mod will not load.

2 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

This should leave you with a texture of small islands. Copy and paste these into your map as you see fit.

One more thing I would like to ask is:

Won't the islands have a harsh contrast to the rest of the heightmap (AKA massive spikes as it's completely white), or have I understood wrong?

I try to do the major features of the planets by hand, and the rest, more mundane parts using fractal noise. This is shown in Flak and its ribbon-like terrain.

The problem I'm having is for large planetary bodies - namely kerbin-sized (600KM radius), atmospherics. I'm just not sure how to tackle it. I might set up a plan of action:

- use cloud/fractal noise on the map

- divide out continents of the planet by shading parts black

- make mountains by painting parts white then blurring the two together to blend the map height

A more serious issue, however, is that I struggle to add small details like cracks. On my recent planet I have huge cracks, but I'd also like smaller ones coming off the big one (light a lightning fork, if you will). I'm wondering if there's a method to randomly generate cracks similar to cloud noise. (The voronoi cracked looking PQSMod didn't help me too much - it causes insane pixellation at high deformities and it's not really cracks, more tectonic plates, but thanks for letting me know about it. I may use it later)

Edited by Gamel0rd1

8 hours ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

do you have science definitions yet? If not I would gladly help.:)

I have some. If you go to gamedata > Olei > configs > ScienceDefs, you can add them yourself. If you want to share the file after you can :)

I want to know about the scorch (and the others) easter eggs without spoiling anybody's game, but i accidentally set it to adobe, which makes the file an "unsupported file" (Also, i have dealt with Easter eggs before, so this isn't different.)

Oh, and i tried looking in the files, and i couldn't find them. (STILL NOT TRYING TO SPOIL ANYONE'S GAME :/ )

Edited by Theglitchofthekraken

6 hours ago, Theglitchofthekraken said:

I want to know about the scorch (and the others) easter eggs without spoiling anybody's game, but i accidentally set it to adobe, which makes the file an "unsupported file" (Also, i have dealt with Easter eggs before, so this isn't different.)

Oh, and i tried looking in the files, and i couldn't find them. (STILL NOT TRYING TO SPOIL ANYONE'S GAME :/ )

SPOILERS:

Go to Olei > Configs > ScienceDefs.cfg

Go to Olei > PluginData > Scorch_height

Edited by Gamel0rd1

On 26 February 2017 at 9:15 PM, Gamel0rd1 said:

Welcome to version 0.9.9.9.9.9.9! (yes we're getting close, don't make me add another .9!)

We got a new planet, in between Eve and Moho; Scorch! It's got a nice cool 700 degree C atmosphere. Oh did I say cool? Well it isn't hot enough to be a star, is it!

We also have... an easter egg. it can be seen from orbit, but the planet is tidally locked, and it's in the dark. HINT: it's on the left of the planet if you face it away from the sun, just near the shade. Shhhhhh!

3wab83m.jpg

Changelog coming soon. Pushed for time!

The point if Easter eggs is NOT to tell them, not a living soul...

Cool planet tho...

8 minutes ago, Galacticvoyager said:

The point if Easter eggs is NOT to tell them, not a living soul...

Cool planet tho...

Not many people play the mod, I just wanna let them know they are there :wink: though I shall edit and make the easter egg a bit more vague

Edited by Gamel0rd1

Just now, Gamel0rd1 said:

Not many people play the mod, I just wanna let them know they are there :wink: though I shall edit and make the easter egg a bit more vague

Well it's your choice, I like to keep them secret so people have that sweet sweet pleasure of finding it without the general public knowing...

@The White Guardian @Gamel0rd1 At the mention of a problem with the download size for this mod, would you consider saving the planet textures (those that don't need transparency) to DDS DXT1? I do believe those afford more savings and personally I find it a little sad that the planets themselves have to be distributed separately and image maps reduced to 2048px across and below to achieve the download savings. (Umm... How large is the download at this time anyway?)

23 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@The White Guardian @Gamel0rd1 At the mention of a problem with the download size for this mod, would you consider saving the planet textures (those that don't need transparency) to DDS DXT1? I do believe those afford more savings and personally I find it a little sad that the planets themselves have to be distributed separately and image maps reduced to 2048px across and below to achieve the download savings. (Umm... How large is the download at this time anyway?)

File size is exceeding 450MB as of 0.9.9. It's a pretty serious problem

I cannot save as DXT-1, DXT-3 or DXT-5 .dds file format because DDS is a lossy compression method, resulting in an overall loss of quality. For the heightmap, this is horrific because DXT-1 specifically tries to reproduce the pixels nearest to it based of their colour when uncompressed. This results in some pixels being coloured. As you may know, heigtmaps are greyscale. Having them coloured causes all kinds of nonsense with heights.

The good thing is a lot of the planets are small and don't even need 4096 x 2048 textures (Yes, niebietos, dread, I'm looking at you). They only need 1024 x 512 sizes. I'll be making sure all planets keep as much quality as possible (large planets have to have large textures!) but the more I use PQSMods to generate terrain, the less detail I need on my planet maps. Expect to see a file size reduction for 1.0.

As well as this, I would hate to separate the planets and moons apart. It adds a whole lot of problems for bug reporting and general installation for the people who wish to use the mod. I'm afraid that after I reduce the sizes of a few excessively large textures, people just need to suck it up and download it :( 

Edited by Gamel0rd1

WELCOME TO VERSION 1.0

Just kidding! Welcome to version 0.9.99! The final version BEFORE 1.0! Why's that? Uh... Final bug fixes! I've narrowed the list from 24 to just 4 fixable bugs. One of which I can fix tomorrow with a few clicks - yes, that's Niebos's annoying oceanic terrain jutting out everywhere.

Bsu1ViU.png

So here's our changelog for today:

• Olu'um Scatterer configs added
  • Volux clouds added
  • Volux low-scale hurricane added
  • Olu'um's atmosphere is now dangerous even just outside of it. Be sure to bring radiators. OIu'um is nearly heavy enough to turn into an M class star and begin nuclear fusion!
  • Sonus celestial body added
  • Sonus clouds added
  • Sonus scatterer configs added
  • Fixed Scorch's poles to an extent
  • Fixed most other planets' poles as well as I could (Flak has a mohole, that's intended)
  • (more stuff here if I remember)
  • FILE SIZE REDUCED BY 100MB! HUZZAH!

I would also like to say a massive thank you to KerbalItalia on YouTube for doing a review.

Although I can't understand a thing of what he said, it really is amazing to see the first review of the mod!

8 hours ago, Gamel0rd1 said:

Although I can't understand a thing of what he said, it really is amazing to see the first review of the mod!

Makes a fella get down on his knees and pray that he knew Spanish. That reviewer did GPP too but I can't read it either. :(

I have to have another look at this mod soon. A lot has changed since I was last here (it's probably one of the quickest-developed planet mods I've seen) and it's all looking very impressive.

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Makes a fella get down on his knees and pray that he knew Spanish. That reviewer did GPP too but I can't read it either. :(

Just so you know, it's Italian, not Spanish.