1.1.3 vs 1.2 x - What are you playing?

itsaps

Hello Astronauts and Kerbonauts,

I wonder which version is currently more popular among the modding community. For some reasons I would appreciate 1.2 and further more due to stability and some stock game improvements, but currently for my realistic modded KSP I still use the version 1.1.3. Althougth it takes about 10GB Ram and a whole 10min startup time - there are some mods I am completly missing in higher versions and as long as they will not be updated, so won't I.

What's your opinion? Which versions do you prefer and why? :)

tumblr_ol2gd06n6s1w54b8qo1_1280.png

1 hour ago, DarkOwl57 said:

it depends on what I want to do. If it's BDArmory + Kerbinside, I do 1.1.3.

Why 1.1.3? I run both those mods fine in 1.2.2 AFAICT.

OT:

I am finally running 1.2.2 playing with planes and BD now that ALG got a update/upgrade.

Edited by Svm420

2 hours ago, Gaarst said:

I finished updating my modded install to from 1.0.4 to 1.1.3 about when 1.2 got out. I'll probably update to 1.2 when 1.3 will come out.

What were your actions for updating? Was it like: install game version, install all mods? Or also transfer own configurations and stuff? I recently start digging into the config files deeper and the closer I look the more I can find missmatches/collisions between mods and also a bunch of work to enable "non RSS" mods to apply their stuff also for my RSS version... The last months I spent more time outside the game than inside :confused:

1 hour ago, DarkOwl57 said:

it depends on what I want to do. If it's BDArmory + Kerbinside, I do 1.1.3. Racing on the other hand, that gets 1.2

Ok I guess you are more into plane constructions? Have you used/ Are you using FAR?

BTW: does anyone have a CommunityResourcePack version for RSS (materials assign to the corresponding planets)?

Well I'm still playing RP-0 in 1.1.3 but I've also started a colonisation save in Galileo's Planet Pack in 1.2.2.

I played RP-0 this afternoon (designing a fast transfer Neptune probe and getting my latest two Venus landers into parking orbits to wait until Earth is in a position I'll be able to maintain communication during a daylight landing) but will be switching to GPP after dinner (sending up the core of my Iota orbital station and expanding the Gael station).

1.2.2 seems a little more stable and performant with a stockish game. Hopefully this will translate into RP-0 once all the mods are updated and I can migrate my save (it stated in 1.0.5).

41 minutes ago, itsaps said:

What were your actions for updating? Was it like: install game version, install all mods?

That's the way I do my updates. Start with a clean unmodded install of the current version then download latest versions of each mod, install, test, next mod... until I've got all the essential mods needed for a particular save installed then I'll copy over the save folder and do another round of testing/tweaking and adding "optional" mods.

1 hour ago, itsaps said:

Ok I guess you are more into plane constructions?

Oh YES! I've made TONS of fighter jets, a Battleship (USS Stonewall (My own name (I think))), a Destroyer, A tank, a F-35B replica, and a BattleStation (SPAAAAACCCCCEEEEEE!!!!). My next plans include an aircraft carrier, and extinguishing the fire that will inevitably consume my laptop thanks to 0fps after 3 hours :/ (Seriously; a 2012 Toshiba is not meant for KSP)

0.25, because 0.90 broke the always-on functionality of Editor Extensions' "Vertical Snap" feature.

I spend 90% of my time in the SPH/VAB, so having to hover and press 'V' every time I place something is ridiculous.

I've tried several later versions, but the fun new features don't make up for the negative fun in having to deal with the UI.

3 hours ago, itsaps said:

What were your actions for updating? Was it like: install game version, install all mods? Or also transfer own configurations and stuff? I recently start digging into the config files deeper and the closer I look the more I can find missmatches/collisions between mods and also a bunch of work to enable "non RSS" mods to apply their stuff also for my RSS version... The last months I spent more time outside the game than inside :confused:

1. Don't want to break everything so spend a few months not updating;
  2. Waiting for mods to update, especially for that one mod which is obviously dead, but who-knows-it-might-get-updated-soon;
  3. Waiting for RSS/RF configs to update;
  4. Install all mods and remove half of them because they don't work anymore;
  5. Find new mods;
  6. Move my own configs to the new version (takes a lot of time because I never remember which are the ones I wrote);
  7. Write new configs because the old ones don't work anymore;
  8. Play new version.

I do also spend more time outside the game than inside, but I spend way less time managing my mods than I used to, now it's mostly managing my main save (planning missions, crew rotas, transfers...)

On 2/8/2017 at 5:54 PM, FleshJeb said:

0.25, because 0.90 broke the always-on functionality of Editor Extensions' "Vertical Snap" feature.

I spend 90% of my time in the SPH/VAB, so having to hover and press 'V' every time I place something is ridiculous.

I've tried several later versions, but the fun new features don't make up for the negative fun in having to deal with the UI.

!

wait, i should elaborate...  ummmm... 

!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.