RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

1 minute ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Yep

(It's so easy to forget how LOUD that thing can be! Geez!)

I love the fact that we can get up close audio from Electron. It sounds more rocket-y than the other rockets. Maybe it's because Electron is smaller and therefore quieter than many other rockets, and because of that they can put the microphone closer. That close on a large rocket would mean that the audio would clip (soundwaves so powerful that the trough of the pressure wave would be a vacuum) and overwhelm the microphones... The closer microphone would mean a less muffled rocket sound or something like that, meaning we get a more authentic rocket-y sound.

I'm mostly just spitballing here, I may be wrong. In fact, I probably am. Maybe Electron just is a cool sounding rocket and they have good mics, and it's not related to size.

Still, it sounds awesome.

Also, we got an awesome view of the rocket ascending through the clouds. That might have been part of the reason why this launch felt so "real" to me... This one really resonated. Maybe it's the fact that I haven't seen a launch in a while, maybe it was the way the music synchronized with the launch, maybe it's the sound, maybe it's the clouds providing a sense of scale to Electron's climb to orbit... Maybe it's all of those.

I really enjoyed this launch.

20 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I love the fact that we can get up close audio from Electron. It sounds more rocket-y than the other rockets. Maybe it's because Electron is smaller and therefore quieter than many other rockets, and because of that they can put the microphone closer. That close on a large rocket would mean that the audio would clip (soundwaves so powerful that the trough of the pressure wave would be a vacuum) and overwhelm the microphones... The closer microphone would mean a less muffled rocket sound or something like that, meaning we get a more authentic rocket-y sound.

I'm mostly just spitballing here, I may be wrong. In fact, I probably am. Maybe Electron just is a cool sounding rocket and they have good mics, and it's not related to size.

Still, it sounds awesome.

Also, we got an awesome view of the rocket ascending through the clouds. That might have been part of the reason why this launch felt so "real" to me... This one really resonated. Maybe it's the fact that I haven't seen a launch in a while, maybe it was the way the music synchronized with the launch, maybe it's the sound, maybe it's the clouds providing a sense of scale to Electron's climb to orbit... Maybe it's all of those.

I really enjoyed this launch.

It makes perfect sense to me, an larger rocket you have to record at larger distance there the sound had time to spread out and get reflected more making it sound softer. 
Remember an friend of me needed the sound of an gunshot so I borrowed an shotgun and put the microphone next to the muzzle :) 
He got best effect of an tiny firecracker.