[1.0+] CORE Solutions [19JAN16]

Absolution

I wouldn't say that either.

Actually you did say that. By saying that Isp is derivative. It is not in real life. Thrust and size are variables, Isp is fixed.

I did the best I could. :)

I never said otherwise - your US decouplers are awesome! I was so tired building some sort of probes into US so I could deorbit it.

Actually you did say that. By saying that Isp is derivative. It is not in real life. Thrust and size are variables, Isp is fixed.

I didn't use Isp as an input value but I did consider the end results when running the equations. Every variable was sanity checked and weighed against a reasonable value. So to say that I had no intention to make it more or less realistic is not an accurate statement. I have had every intention to do so. The results, however, are what they are. I simply don't want to give the impression that I did not do my due diligence.

Hello all!

I'd like to say thanks for an awesome mod but I am also here looking for some help.

I have been playing for only a couple days now and I love the game. I'd like to use these rockets to get equipment into orbit easier but I am having a difficult time trying to get the parts to connect. The part I really am having a hard time with is the Decoupler on the top of the anvil rocket (the nose piece). It seems to never want to wrap around the simplest satellite.

Does anyone know of any tutorials or guides that help one build an anvil rocket from scratch? Or does anyone have any pointers in building the anvil rockets to carry small and medium sized payload into orbit?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for the awesome add-on/mod!

I'm a bit new to kerbal and I am loving the game! I am, however, having some difficulty with this mod and find that once I overcome the problems I am having my space program will be much more enjoyable.

My only real problem is getting the nose cone decoupler to connect to whatever small to medium size payload I am trying to launch. I can't seem to get anything to be placed within the decoupler stage of the launch so that I can place satellites into orbit easily. Is there a video or guide that shows or explains the bes way to construct an anvil rocket with different size payloads? Or better yet, can someone just tell me how to do it :)

Thanks in advance,

Dom

As with most, if not all, rocket builds you should start with your payload and then assemble the rocket below it. There are two existing resources for helping to figure out how to put an Anvil rocket together.

The first is the ANVIL ROCKETS GUIDE PDF included in the download package. At the end of the document are two exploded views for the Anvil IV and V. It shows which parts are used and where. All of the Anvil variations are assembled in the same basic format.

The second resource is the .craft files also provided in the download package. Copy those files to your game's "Ships\VAB" folder and then open it inside of the VAB screen. These are pre-assembled examples of a typical rocket/payload configuration.

Hope that helps!

---

Update on the next project: Progress has slowed a little because I am learning how to do more advanced texturing techniques such as normal mapping and emisives. It's not like they are complicated but I am starting from zero experience and the learning curve is always steepest at the start. Hopefully I can get this stuff down and be able to offer more visually appealing work.

Well... update .20 really flipped the mod folder structure on it's head. I understand what I need to do to get Anvil to work with the new system but it will take a couple of days to implement and test. Stay tuned!

oh... and my early normal map tests aren't turning out so well, lol. There's much learning to be done on that front too. :)

*edit*

Also, I want to get everything caught up with the bugs/improvements people have identified since the last release so here is a list of what is coming in version 1.6.2:

-FAR compatibility (making an effort but no promises)

-Fix radial attachments for CSB to be more user friendly

-Better colliders for fairings

-Investigate RDM not firing properly (not sure what the problem is so I don't know if I can fix it)

-Incorporate new folder structure for compliance with KSP 0.20

I hope to have something out by this weekend but, as always, I promise nothing. I can only do my best. :)

*edit 2*

I am also developing a new "brand" image. My current one is quite... bleh. Not that anyone really cares but I do. :)

Edited by Absolution

Brand? You've already got a strong brand: rockets that actually look like rockets. KSP and 99% of mod parts have a quazi-steampunk look. The lack of fairings and/or aerodynamics, the wobble ... they are all a little cartoonish. By not continuing that tradition, Anvil creates a very distinctive "brand". I also laugh a little at the very concept of a rocket brand. Everything about a rocket should be utilitarian. Even their colour schemes (white and black) have purpose.

Since I started using Anvil I've almost abandoned other lift systems. If it doesn't fit under an anvil fairing, it doesn't fly. That's a much more realistic approach imho.

Brand? You've already got a strong brand: rockets that actually look like rockets. KSP and 99% of mod parts have a quazi-steampunk look. The lack of fairings and/or aerodynamics, the wobble ... they are all a little cartoonish. By not continuing that tradition, Anvil creates a very distinctive "brand". I also laugh a little at the very concept of a rocket brand. Everything about a rocket should be utilitarian. Even their colour schemes (white and black) have purpose.

Since I started using Anvil I've almost abandoned other lift systems. If it doesn't fit under an anvil fairing, it doesn't fly. That's a much more realistic approach imho.

Thanks for the support!

By brand I meant a logo for CORE. The big name mods in this community have very nice and easily recognized logos and I would like to do that for CORE as well. What do I have? A plain text title for my OP and a half baked logo for the openings of my videos. Bleh. :)

Anvil is what it is and I have no intention to change it. It will inevitably evolve as KSP does but I built Anvil to be a quick, easy and reliable platform and that's the way it will stay.

Anvil 1.6.2 is now released!

As I always state: please delete all previous Anvil content before installing the new stuff. Of course, that shouldn't be too hard considering KSP 0.20 just rewrote the rules on mod folder structure. :) I also suggest replacing any .craft files you may have from the older releases with the ones contained in the download.

---HOW TO INSTALL---

Copy the entire folder titled "CORE_ANVIL_162" into the following directory:

"KSP_win\GameData"

Assuming you have not installed any other mods you should now see two folders. One is titled "CORE_ANVIL_162" and the other is titled "Squad".

Change Log:

---1.6.2---

(27MAY13)

-Now fully compatible with KSP 0.20.

-Rearranged folder stucture to comply with KSP 0.20 and moved fairings into the "Aero" category.

-Improved radial attachment scheme on CSB parts. Now more user friendly

-Fixed RDM radial decoupler. Now detaches correctly.

-Improved mesh colliders of all fairings. Now more user friendly and accurate. Less chance of clipping.

Also, unofficially, I think I made my fairings compatible with "FAR" but I didn't test it. Here's hoping for the best.

The new CORE logo is also still in work. It has nothing to do with this release so I didn't see a reason to delay this version for a silly picture. :)

If you see any bugs or any other weird behavior you know where to find me. Good luck and have fun!

Are the CORE retro rockets supposed to be able to de-orbit spent engine stacks?

That was their original intent but the delta-v necessary to accomplish it and the fact that it was an uncontrolled burn made the situation worse. Instead of a piece of debris gently orbiting in a stable path you now had a large, spinning, missile orbiting erratically. It was a disaster waiting to happen. :) The retro rockets are now intended to aid in stage separation. A short, gentle, burn to get the spent stages away from your payloads. I never use them myself but I left them in the pack just in case someone found a use.

The SMRT modules were developed to de-orbit spent stages by allowing you to retain control of said spent stage after separation. Assuming you left enough gas in the tank you can turn the spent stage around and bring her home. Hopefully not literally onto some poor Kerbal's home...

Probably the best moded heavy, and i mean real heavy payload, launcher out there. Nice design, good on mixing parts around for your needs, and the CoM down there helps to have nose heavy loads without worry to much that the rocket will flip.

Also like the fact you included the little amount of RCS on the tanks, providing some control fuel without need for adding another part to the setup.

0.20 heavy payloads here i come :cool:

PS: Excellent work on the PDF, its a very nice presentation on the parts.

PS: Excellent work on the PDF, its a very nice presentation on the parts.

Agreed, but there is one thing: the PDF seems to mix up the Anvil IV and V on the last two pages...

Very nice! One tip: I had a ton of trouble getting the fairings to wrap around my payload. I finally figured out that I had to put the nose cone in place first and then the fairings would fit.

One question: I played with the supplied V-L and it worked great, but when I built a my own IV around my lander, I couldn't get the payload fairings or decoupler to separate from the payload (the first stage worked fine). I tried rotating and thrusting, but nothing happened (my lander was happily burning through the decoupler). They must've eventually drifted away since I ignored it and warped to my next node and when I got there, the fairings and decoupler was gone.

I saw the bit about the retro rockets -- will that help with this? I may try it anyway just to see the next time I get a chance to play...

In any case, thanks for all your hard work!

DF - for separation to work properly, the nose cones have to be attached first. You should have a payload coupler at the bottom of your payload and the fairings attach to this. There are special attach nodes in the couplers to allow this to work properly. Don't fret if there is "dead space" inside the fairing. This happens even with the real thing. Make sure your fairings are their own stage. This will prevent decoupling occuring at the same time you are activating an engine which can result in some odd behavior as the program tries to calculate multiple different changing physics vectors at the same time. Real rocket staging typically has the payload fairings separating shortly after 2nd stage activation. This allows for the prograde acceleration to stabilize so the only "new" acceleration you are adding is the lateral force of the decoupling device. This is what gives a smooth and predictable separation of the fairing.

Wishlist: a non-faring nose cone, sized and textured to match the Anvil V. Why? Well...

anvilabuse.jpg

I know, I know, not the right way to deal with an overweight payload. But I do it anyway... bwahaha!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.