ATEC

Stock Payload Fraction Challenge RE-BOOT

Red Iron Crown    12086

If the rule is "Do NOT clip parts" then how is that acceptable? Not a dig at @SpaceplaneAddict, just wanting to understand how that rule is supposed to work.

2 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

If the rule is "Do NOT clip parts" then how is that acceptable? Not a dig at @SpaceplaneAddict, just wanting to understand how that rule is supposed to work.

I quite second this. We need a clarification 'ere.

ATEC    8

@Red Iron Crown and @SpaceplaneAddict
1st of all sorry for the late reply (Had finals)

2nd of all i changed the rules so now:
Clipping functional parts aint allowed (So that clip won't be allowed) And clipping parts like winglets / constructional parts will be allowed now.

7 hours ago, ATEC said:

@Red Iron Crown and @SpaceplaneAddict
1st of all sorry for the late reply (Had finals)

2nd of all i changed the rules so now:
Clipping functional parts aint allowed (So that clip won't be allowed) And clipping parts like winglets / constructional parts will be allowed now.

'Ere we go, that makes sense. I'll be showin' off my stuff in about a few days then :)

Bomaye    57

Is this allowed? (Wings/engine mount)

0rSbM4t.jpg

ATEC    8

@Bomaye Does it comply with the rules?
If answer === Yes, Then it is allowed

If answer === No, Then it's not allowed

Bomaye    57

43,14% for my work horse SSTO :)

Pics in reverse order

AeroGav    614
Posted (edited)

I don't know if the leaderboard is still being maintained,  but I decided to make another entry.

Conventional wisdom has it that NERVs are heavy and are only justified on longest range, interplanetary SSTOs.      Therefore  a  100% liquid fuel only , heavy lifting SSTO that only goes to low orbit must be the worst idea ever?

When I set out building this thing, I knew that i could get about 50 tons supersonic comfortably enough with 1 rapier and 1 panther,  and then go on to exceed mach 4.     I've also managed to accelerate in the upper atmosphere with just 1 nuke per 25 tons with a sufficiently high lift/drag ratio.

So, the blueprint for this design was 3 Rapiers, 3 Panthers and 6 Nukes for 150T gross weight.       Unfortunately, I got to 135 tons and couldn't figure out a way to put any more strakes on the aircraft without it looking even sillier, so we're a bit fuel light.     It definitely feels like you could lift more ore if the fuel capacity was upped,  since it doesn't struggle to accelerate or climb.

Gross Weight   135.260 T
Payload            59.145 T   (43.7%)
Fuel Mass        31.025 T  (fuel fraction 22.9%)
Dry mass         33%

Craft file here - 

https://kerbalx.com/AeroGav/partridge

Apologies for the rather ropey flying in this vid, but i'm using a keyboard. The video is sped up 3x !

re-entry and landing vids to follow, sorry my internet isn't fast (live out in the boonies)

Landing it - just enough fuel left to buzz the tower.      Recorded at normal speed.

Edited by AeroGav

BAPBAP    1

Hey, i didn't know about this challenge existence, couple of things like reaction wheel, batt and antenna is clipped in for aesthetical reasons, and 75*75 instead of 100*100 km orbit in the proof, although it have some deltaV in reserve, so no scoring attempts can be made, but i have pretty capable craft right here: Skyranger 4

Test run was made with 102050 kg of cargo, which is 46% of gross mass, with efficiency of 86 funds per 1 ton of cargo to LKO.