DarkOwl57

Motorbike Design Challenge

Recommended Posts

So I'm a racing person. I've got an entire save file dedicated to racing. (I'm thinking about starting a DMP server just for air racing). So I've thought of something, and I've decided to enlist your help. Your challenge: Design a vehicle that has 2 wheels (Or at least looks like it has 2 wheels), looks awesome, and can complete a lap around the test course.

(The test course)

LWsMWLc.png

You will be scored on these things;

Functionality (It has to actually work)

Looks (You have to have that wow factor)

Speed (You can use the runway to test that)

Agility (How fast can it turn those sharp hairpin turns?)

And finally, time it takes the vehicle to complete 3 laps.

 

So in order for an entry to be official, it must have at least 4 pictures (top-down picture, a picture from the side (I don't care which side), a rear picture, and a picture from the front), a front headlight, a rear brake-light (Colored red for braking), and a command seat. Drone cores are allowed to allow the bike to stop and let the crew on.

Rules confusing enough for ya? Good. Happy designing!

Edited by DarkOwl57

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give me a sec, I'll be back

Edit: parentheses now unecessary

Edited by qzgy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, qzgy said:

(Also, shouldn't this be in the challenges sub forum?)

idk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went ahead and did actually move this to Challenges, @DarkOwl57, because it's set up exactly like a challenge is.

I think I'll actually give it a go eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tex said:

I went ahead and did actually move this to Challenges, @DarkOwl57, because it's set up exactly like a challenge is.

k; I was just confused

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will probably give this a go, too. Also

  • Can I use jet engines as dead weight to shift the Center of Gravity below the ground? (makes the bike self-righting)
  • Would it be a good idea to make how long it takes to run the test course one of the judging criteria?

And for everybody who will see this, my experience has been that four wheels in sets of two clipped to look like one will provide better performance, given that rover wheels act like 2-dimensional discs. (correct me if I'm wrong about this)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, NorthAmericanAviation said:

Can I use jet engines as dead weight to shift the Center of Gravity below the ground? (makes the bike self-righting)

sure

25 minutes ago, NorthAmericanAviation said:

Would it be a good idea to make how long it takes to run the test course one of the judging criteria?

yeah..

New rule: You must test how long it takes to go around the track..... 3 times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was fun ... Here's my HOG driving down the runway hitting over 83m/s

Done in my BDAc environment but fully stock with no part configs other than the Camo from DCK

EDIT: 3 laps coming soon to a video near you :wink:

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do Kerbals need to be in the seat(s) for the laps to count?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if I'll have time to race, but an old bike for inspiration:

screenshot1510_zps9kklnrxz.jpg

 

screenshot1509_zpss7zzuh7u.jpg

Four wheels for symmetry, but opposed and translated into each other to appear and function as two. Handles like a real bike; lean angle to turn, countersteering to hold the angle. RCS just to pick it up again if you drop it.

Edited by Wanderfound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2017 at 0:00 AM, Tex said:

Do Kerbals need to be in the seat(s) for the laps to count?

Yeah. You could use a tweak scaled cockpit though

7 hours ago, Wanderfound said:

Not sure if I'll have time to race, but an old bike for inspiration:

screenshot1510_zps9kklnrxz.jpg

 

screenshot1509_zpss7zzuh7u.jpg

Four wheels for symmetry, but opposed and translated into each other to appear and function as two. Handles like a real bike; lean angle to turn, countersteering to hold the angle. RCS just to pick it up again if you drop it.

Nice! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-04-22 at 11:05 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

This was fun ... Here's my HOG driving down the runway hitting over 83m/s

Done in my BDAc environment but fully stock with no part configs other than the Camo from DCK

EDIT: 3 laps coming soon to a video near you :wink:

This is awesome!

I want to see you do the race with that thing. And PLEASE use "Born to be wild" as the soundtrack :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.