SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

15 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Of course, the replacement rockets are being built on Elon time.  Better build a few more as 100 flights seems pretty high (may have been simply increased to match Bezos spectacular claim.  He's probably confident that his rockets are more reliable).

What’s bezos’ claim? 

9 minutes ago, Jaff said:

What’s bezos’ claim? 

Bezos says each NG first stage should be capable of 100 reuses, but makes no claims as to refurbishment timeframe or sequence.

18 minutes ago, tater said:

My god that will be glorious.

10 minutes ago, tater said:

I bet the "how you count it" is whether you include the static fire propellant in the total or not.

Musk has said the payload fairing costs around $6M.

So we finally have (rough) numbers:

• Payload fairing: $6M
  • Fuel and consumables: $0.5M
  • Launch costs, not including fuel: $5.5M
  • Second stage: $12M
  • Booster: $36M
  • Total in-house cost of expendable launch: $60M

If SX sells an expendable Falcon 9 launch for approximately $95M, that means they're looking at a 37% profit margin.

If we guesstimate Block 5 recovery costs at $1M per flight and assume only 10 flights per booster, then nominal in-house cost per flight is $28.6M. If they continue selling recoverable launches at $62M each, that's a 53.9% profit margin.

They are about to make so much bloody money..........

Oh, and if we assume, reasonably, that the $1M/launch in recovery cost is more than enough to allow for more refurbishment every 10 flights, and accept Elon's claim of 100 reuses per booster, and assume they get fairing reuse sorted with an average of 20 uses per fairing, then the nominal amortized cost per flight becomes $19.7M.

6 minutes ago, tater said:

Or that’s retail, and their cost is substantially less.

Elon described the payload fairing as a "pallet of $6M cash falling out of the sky" so it sounds like that's their nominal in-house cost. 

Just now, DAL59 said:

t-15?

No, its still on hold.

The launch window is ending soon, if the problem isn't fixed within the next 15 minutes it will likely be scrubbed.

Just now, Scotius said:

Goshdangdarnit! And i was so happy i made it home in time to catch the launch :( Why are you doing this to us, Falcon?

Just wait, there is still a chance.

Why does the backround noise sound like a restaurant? I hear typical metal object noises (forks, spoons, and knifes) in the backround.