How do you get your Spacestations Spaceborne?

Audiopulse

To some this might appear to be a redundant question as i guess there are ways widely known - but even though im lurking around since KSP 0.8 or so - I never actually tried launching a station myself until just now. And I failed miserably :)

So - what is your way to go? Do you just add tons of tanks and engines underneath and use hours over hours on balancing them? Or is there a modpack dedicated to that task that I just didnt hear of yet? Or would anyone happen to know a good cheat-pack to do the trick? I actually tried creating myself some cheat-engines for myself - but i never got indefinately burning liquid-engines running yet. They always kept burning out - no Idea what Im doing wrong.

how big is the space station you are trying to get into orbit, most space stations can be lifted into LKO with the stock parts, with your "ours and ours of balancing" i assume you meant the station tilting to one side etc , this can be helped by having alot of mass on the downside of your rocket and add some gimballing engine's underneath.

The old Instant Orbit still works and is a very simple solution to your problem.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/7306-0-14-Instant-Orbit-Debris-Generator-with-bonus-Asteroid?highlight=Instant+Orbit

As real space stations don't get launched in one piece and docking isn't implemented yet I wouldn't even call it cheating.

Depends on how heavy your station is, if its under 80t of payload u can get it up there easily with around 20'000l of fuel..

Max i got so far is 176t Unmoded.. Its a pain in the ... and it costs more nerves than its worth..

- General idea to save weight is to use TurboJet engines to get you out of the stratosphere..

I have a Med sized space station with 2 stage launcher if u wanna check out.. :P

I was able to launch an entire station from the ground to orbit once. I used massive amounts of Fuel and mega engines to do the job, but all the parts just made it lag terribly so I had, for the first time ever, use mechjeb to assist with the launch. It was so unwieldy in flight, that i ended up with an orbit that had apoapsis at 200km and a periapsis at 150km. Now I send stations up piece by piece with orbital construction. Very handy mod. You should try it.

As real space stations don't get launched in one piece and docking isn't implemented yet I wouldn't even call it cheating.

Yeah, true, but not always. Skylab was real space station!

408px-Skylab-73-HC-440HR.jpg

Anyhow... as for getting a space station into orbit in KSP. Just try and make it symmetrical so it's balanced, and not too heavy. Then put it into LKO with your standard issue big rocket.

Add lots of RCS tanks and thrusters all over, and add dozens of struts. You really don't want it tipping below 10k meters or so, since that will easily cause massive explosions. Also, put the largest engines you have on it. Put an extra small stage near the top in case you don't quite get far enough.

Here are some pics of my mun/minimus base. I fly it without mechJeb only mod used is Cosmos.

On the Pad

SCPad.jpg

After Jettison of 6 boosters and 3 large fuel tanks.

SCliftoff.jpg

At this point I have not yet achieved orbit but will soon after next stage begins. (sorry pretty dark)

SCorbit.jpg

Decent Stage

SCdecent.jpg

Finally touch down.

SClanded.jpg

There is only 1 solution that can enable you to get an infinite amount of cargo and parts in to space

and that is the Orbital construction mod v9.3

Step 1: get a small rocket with a space dock on and get it in the the orbit you wish to get you cargo in

Step 2: Build you Space station and add on a jump drive piece

Step 3: take your cargo to the launch pad and select the space dock you put in orbit and war drive to it.

Step 4: You will spawn about 50m from the space dock, you are know in orbit.

The only limit to the space dock is your computer, also its best if you try to avoid warping through a planet because it might explode 10% chance

I launched each piece of my station individually, rendezvous-ed, then edited the save to remove them and put the completed station in their place.

I'll just wait to do this orbital construction until they release docking and orbital construction as vanilla parts/capabilities.

I launched each piece of my station individually, rendezvous-ed, then edited the save to remove them and put the completed station in their place.

That is an interesting idea. I think that's the best way to 'pretend' like you're orbitally constructing the station while not really feeling that you're 'cheating' since you put the time in to launch parts individually.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.