KSP Caveman Evolved Challenge

17 hours ago, Jetski said:

I vote for this:

RtiS184.jpg

Of course I would vote for it though, since I made it back when nobody had finished this one yet :)

Maybe we could write something on it...

I like the design but yeah it should have some writing. And maybe lose 1 or 2 steps? I wouldn't want it to be too long, and have people not use it.

I sadly have 0 time to work on something like this.

Eeloo Done!!!

I went to Eeloo. Rescued a Kerbal, landed. Took off, ran out of electricity, eva'd then rendezvous with the same craft I had just left, which was on a sub-orbital trajectory. Quick thinking saved the day and all was well in the end.
Coming home I thought it would be a good idea to go via Jool and maybe wipe off some speed. I've no idea if it worked but I had a burn set up about a year or so after Jool with a nice encounter with Kerbin. 850-950 dv to get into Kerbin orbit. From there I just gradually brought down the apo till I entered the atmosphere for the last time and landed safely.

Just Jool SOI and return from Eve to do.
Already have a craft orbiting Bop waiting for fuel

12 hours ago, Tattiebogle said:

Eeloo Done!!!

Well done! And a well-storied mission to boot.

12 hours ago, Tattiebogle said:

Just Jool SOI and return from Eve to do.

I've also got you down for needing Gilly. Did I miss that? I wouldn't be surprised if I did while re-making all the standings.

On 30/06/2017 at 9:29 AM, Tattiebogle said:

Mission Update.

We have landed brave Barzer Kerman on Gilly on his very first flight. What a guy!

I choose to upgrade Mission Control

So far. Mission Control Level 2

Launch Pad Level 2

Tracking Station Level 3

Mun and back

Minmus and back

Probe on Duna

Val  on Ike

Barzer on Gilly.

Things to do

Rescue Val on Ike

Rescue Jeb on minmus

Rescue Barzer on Gilly

Looks like the imgur album has gone:(. I'll do it again

1 hour ago, Tattiebogle said:

Looks like the imgur album has gone:(. I'll do it again

No need, unless you want to. I liked the original post and replied to it, so I can be confident you did it. I just missed it when I re-made the leaderboard after the forum ate the old one.

I've updated this leaderboard with the correction.

• 3 weeks later...

More progress has been made. Today, I conclude the Jool 5 that I've been doing to knock out the Jool system. The album for that can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/HVhL4

Some small updates have also been made to the main album detailing the immediate aftermath of that mission.

No summary this time, because the screenshots for this mission comprise half of all the screenshots I've taken so far for this challenge. I think the dedicated album does a better job.

10 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Today, I conclude the Jool 5 that I've been doing to knock out the Jool system.

Nicely done! I was wondering why the ship was so large but then I saw that you landed on all 5 moons with 3 kerbals! I've never landed more than 1 on Tylo at a time. Impressive!

Oh, and welcome to the "TO DO" list, where you have less things left to do than you have done.

Edited by 5thHorseman

1 hour ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Point(s) of order, Mr. Chairman... I've already done Dres and Eeloo, and my entry should be marked as a combo with the caveman challenge since I didn't upgrade any facilities until after unlocking the full T1 R&D tech tree. Also (obviously) combo Jool 5.

Oops. I can't even blame when I redid the list, because you did that after. I will instead blame the forum's UI. I think I edited the code field, but forgot to then save the post.

I've fixed it all, and await your final two planets!

Edited by 5thHorseman

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Challenge accepted !

I was looking for a place for my modded caveman challenge. The landing/upgrade rule fits perfectly with what I'm looking for.

1.4.2 Making History base.

Here is how I roll :

1. 3.2x rescale <= that's the big difficulty boost
  2. Unmanned before manned + SETI contracts
  3. DMagic science mod & Contracts, ProbePlus ! (removing all non DMagic science parts), SCAN Sat & Scan Sat contracts
  4. All Near future mods (mostly irrelevant since it's all 550+ science), MRS Lite and Missing history parts
  5. All reaction wheels torque at 10%

30% science and reputation, 50% credits, 120% entry heat. No quicksaves / VAB restarts.

Special rules : vessels going out of Kerin SOI need 3 times the seats than there are kerbal on board. As a life support approximation.

Progress so far :

The "Wyrd Sticks" Sounding rockets to 1500km for early science, and a bit of Space Center touring (no much actually) for some more. SETI contracts for early cash. With this I got to unlock the first science nodes and the 20 science rocketry node. To make both credits and science, the next step was a mun flyby. Since SETI has the Ant engine at rather low tech, and Missing history has a half-swivel with crap asl ISP, A mun flyby is just possible with the 7.4K dv budget.

Next unlocks are the telescope and altimetry radar parts, allowing for a neat science package in polar orbit. Unfortunatly the first launch is a failure due to a missalignment between thrust and COM. Second time is the charm though, and we get enough science for a 45 node. Terrier and Pug (30KN lighter terrier with no gimbal and worse ISP) will get us those juicy keostationary contracts. Two keostat launches are enough cash for a mun telescope and a mun lander (One lauch is a partial failure and the orbit is not reached due to an appalingly bad gravity turn and loss of coms during the circularization burn, leading to DV loss to salvage the relay). More sounding rockets with material bays and a SETI "return after LKO" contract/science probe. Low cash buffer is fixed with a few part testing missions.

The "Shaman Eye" Mun observatory mission is a succes, but the payload had to be trimmed to the extreme to fit in the DV budget of 8K. (200 spare for manœuvres due to mistakes and imperfections). However a lander with the current rocket is impossible, since the budget would have to be 9K or more for margin. Getting a lander on Mun with 9K DV, 30 parts and 18t is going to be a tall order.

Pics will come for the second part.

After some thinking by our chief up-goers boomsticks builder, A tentative mun lander is build.

Alas, due to some over optimism for the DV budget and poor capture burn, the first two probes crash. Third time's the charm though, with some of trimming down, DV is now 9130 m/s, with 30 parts and 18T. Finally, a success :

8AGHLTv.png

Landed :

4g7axIN.png

Getting to minmus and farming some biomes should now be rather easy in comparison...

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/30/2018 at 8:19 AM, Muetdhiver said:

Challenge accepted !

Welcome! Sorry for missing this, nobody played for so long I stopped monitoring the thread :) But I'm back for some fun of my own, hopefully soon. I'm adding you to the list on the front page.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.