KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

9 minutes ago, Profit- said:

Do you perhaps have a thermal generator with a high power draw on the same reactor?  If so maybe it is heating up and becoming less efficient and drawing more heat. 

The other thing is the gas core engines, some suffer from "Buoyancy Effects" and perhaps the acceleration is destroying nuclear reaction. 

Nope. The ship is Closed Cycle Gas Core Engine, stock ISRU, ore storage, ton of fuel tanks, passenger compartments, science experiments, solar panels, batteries, radiators. I'm still running 1.0.4.

If it were acceleration issues, than I'd expect it to kick back up as my speed drops. Instead, once it runs for a certain amount of time (and I get my speed up), it throttles back. Acceleration shifts back to zero, and then negative as gravity takes over. Thrust only returns if I shut off the engine for a while. I imagine if I turned it off long enough it would return to full thrust... but I hit the ground before that point.

1 hour ago, nezumi said:

Nope. The ship is Closed Cycle Gas Core Engine, stock ISRU, ore storage, ton of fuel tanks, passenger compartments, science experiments, solar panels, batteries, radiators. I'm still running 1.0.4.

If it were acceleration issues, than I'd expect it to kick back up as my speed drops. Instead, once it runs for a certain amount of time (and I get my speed up), it throttles back. Acceleration shifts back to zero, and then negative as gravity takes over. Thrust only returns if I shut off the engine for a while. I imagine if I turned it off long enough it would return to full thrust... but I hit the ground before that point.

Does the reactor run at 100% the whole time?  Does the power output remain high?  (use the reactor control window and see)

I really don't know what is going on but I am interested in helping you figure them out. 

I feel like I'm just being blind, but I can't find the warp drive parts? Installed the mod through Ckan and loaded up a sandbox game, but no warp drive parts, has something gone wrong?

If someone could tell me what the name of the parts are and what category they are supposed to be in that would be a great help!

Oh and I tried searching the thread, but the search doesn't seem to be working very well anymore :|

1 hour ago, Aramazia Kin said:

I feel like I'm just being blind, but I can't find the warp drive parts? Installed the mod through Ckan and loaded up a sandbox game, but no warp drive parts, has something gone wrong?

If someone could tell me what the name of the parts are and what category they are supposed to be in that would be a great help!

Oh and I tried searching the thread, but the search doesn't seem to be working very well anymore :|

It helps if you install the part filters, if you do you can find them under the KSPI section of your parts list.   

2 hours ago, Speadge said:

thanks

You are most welcome.   Did removing the warp plugin folder and reinstalling solve your problem?

1 hour ago, Profit- said:

Did removing the warp plugin folder and reinstalling solve your problem?

I had no problem recently - just wondering how to see it if i'd had one as KSPI seems very buugy on my side from time 2 time

51 minutes ago, Speadge said:

I had no problem recently - just wondering how to see it if i'd had one as KSPI seems very buugy on my side from time 2 time

Ah.   Sorry had you confused with the other person =) 

1 hour ago, Aramazia Kin said:

Ah, there they are, thanks! Wonder why they aren't appearing in the normal section? 

Welcome.  I think they are, just  they are really hard to find them in all the other parts. 

6 hours ago, Profit- said:

Does the reactor run at 100% the whole time?  Does the power output remain high?  (use the reactor control window and see)

I really don't know what is going on but I am interested in helping you figure them out. 

Did a reboot, no change.

Before launch, thermal power is 4.4GW_th (which is maximum). Max Power Output is 4.37 GW (also max). Core temperature 9859K (after launch the engine temperature climbs from around 466k to around 1500K, with some variation. Not sure how that works out.) Before launch status is Active, at 0.1%, but at launch immediately goes to 100%.

About a minute after launch, thrust abruptly drops to 241.2kN, engine temperature falls, losing about five degrees a second. Once it drops below around 1200K, thrust drops to 68.5kN. Watching the reactor system interface, there's no change; max power is 4.37 GW, thermal power 4.4 GW_th, status is 100%, active.

I may try a reinstall to see if that fixes anything.

I have some things with this mod...

1.) The Dumbo reactor can be placed on an object, but after that it can not be removed. Likewise if you place it next to something (not attached), you can never pick it up again.

2.) Dusty Plasma reactor makes the system super slow, like the cpu is freaking out. The only one of the reactors that works without glitches is the Pebble Bed

1 hour ago, nezumi said:

Did a reboot, no change.

Before launch, thermal power is 4.4GW_th (which is maximum). Max Power Output is 4.37 GW (also max). Core temperature 9859K (after launch the engine temperature climbs from around 466k to around 1500K, with some variation. Not sure how that works out.) Before launch status is Active, at 0.1%, but at launch immediately goes to 100%.

About a minute after launch, thrust abruptly drops to 241.2kN, engine temperature falls, losing about five degrees a second. Once it drops below around 1200K, thrust drops to 68.5kN. Watching the reactor system interface, there's no change; max power is 4.37 GW, thermal power 4.4 GW_th, status is 100%, active.

I may try a reinstall to see if that fixes anything.

I really have no idea what is going on here. 

What reactor (with fuel especially if it is fusion) and engine are you using with what propellant and I will see if I can duplicate it and work it out. 

Also a picture of your craft would be good, although it is obviouly a working craft.. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is something with the new thermal management stuff in 1.05 and the mod compensating for it. (I believe you said you are on 1.04)  I will need to test that theory though. 

Edited by Profit-

7 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

I have some things with this mod...

1.) The Dumbo reactor can be placed on an object, but after that it can not be removed. Likewise if you place it next to something (not attached), you can never pick it up again.

2.) Dusty Plasma reactor makes the system super slow, like the cpu is freaking out. The only one of the reactors that works without glitches is the Pebble Bed

That's cause these reactors has a model that exceed the 255 polygons requested from KSP 1.0.5 and next from 1.1. 

They need to be replaced or reworked, for now just avoid to use them.

ye i noticed my 163 parts warp ssto is unplayable i got 3 fps at reentry i guess physics is calculated for all parts separetly , all i can now is w8 for 64bit and unity 5 update.

so sad cuz kspi is my faw addon cuz i love spaceplanes.

8 hours ago, Profit- said:

I really have no idea what is going on here. 

What reactor (with fuel especially if it is fusion) and engine are you using with what propellant and I will see if I can duplicate it and work it out. 

Also a picture of your craft would be good, although it is obviouly a working craft.. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is something with the new thermal management stuff in 1.05 and the mod compensating for it. (I believe you said you are on 1.04)  I will need to test that theory though. 

Sure, here's an image.

http://imgur.com/U5IITkw

There's no separate reactor; just the Closed Cycle Gas Core Engine, using Uranium Hexaflouride, burning liquid fuel as propellant.

I can post the craft files as well if it would help. (This could also have been an ongoing issue, but I've never had an instance where I require such a long burn before. If it dropped off while doing course corrections and such, I honestly wouldn't have noticed.)

Edited by nezumi

Sorry to bring this up again:

In the last 1.0.4 version of KSPI:

I'm trying to get KSPI-E and RealFuels/RO to work together.

The current fuels patches work fine with regards to propellant choices.

However, neither mechjeb, nor KerbalEngineer, are able to calculate deltaV or thrust... or Isp correctly.

Second problem is that all nuclear thermal rocket engines, whatever the fuel or reactor size, only have only one Isp and one thrust rating in flight. For example, the Molten Salt reactor paired with a second level thermal rocket nozzle will produce 500kN@1000isp whether it is running on      LqdHydrogen or kerosene.

They show correctly in the VAB.

After testing, SolverEngines is not the problem. Neither AJE nor RealismOverhaul contain any patches that modify the behavior of KSPI-E engines.

I'm stumped as to what other mod interactions cause this, since the only thing affecting KSPI engines is its own compatibility files.

Edited by TruthQuark

9 hours ago, nezumi said:

Sure, here's an image.

http://imgur.com/U5IITkw

There's no separate reactor; just the Closed Cycle Gas Core Engine, using Uranium Hexaflouride, burning liquid fuel as propellant.

I can post the craft files as well if it would help. (This could also have been an ongoing issue, but I've never had an instance where I require such a long burn before. If it dropped off while doing course corrections and such, I honestly wouldn't have noticed.)

Sorry I took so long, apparently my body wanted 12 hours of sleep today (Chronic issues kinda suck.) 

Anyhow...   It is not intended behavior or at least not behavior in 1.05 with few mods.   
This has been sitting on the pad for... I dunno about an half an hour simulated (5 mins at 6X speed) *Edit, I tested it out to about 2 hours simulated burn time, no loss
it's thrust has reduced but that is because of reactor embrittlement. (it has lost .1kn or about .001%)
I am going to keep looking and see if there is a reaction with one of your ship components.  
*edit*  I have tested it under as many components as I could match to your craft and I am not getting a power fall off. Although my radiators glow a really bright red. 
I have one factor I cannot control for, I am one tech level above you in my save and a sandbox of course gives all tech levels. 
I can say I do not believe this is a bug that most people will experience, however I am sure it is frustrating... Maybe you can try getting the final tech level and seeing if a retrofit will get your ship into orbit. 

image.png

*Edit, I just tested to make sure it was not acceleration, this here made it to orbit.... I am still getting a really bright glow on the radiators though

image.png

Edited by Profit-

I've been playing with it as well on my other box, which is 1.0.5, using both the current and a more dated version of Interstellar. There's definitely some play between the engine and the two Thermal Control Systems I have on. The ship was steady around 2062K for a long while with one panel open. The craft shook abruptly, then the temperature dropped (slowly) to 1880K. Retracting, it jumps back up 2062K. Extending both, it nosedived to 1576K. BUT there's no loss of thrust. I may go back to 1.0.4, remove the heat control systems, and see how it operates then.

Thank you for looking into this though. Now that I know it's not intentional, I can experiment a little more, and cheat with a clean conscience :P

1 hour ago, nezumi said:

I've been playing with it as well on my other box, which is 1.0.5, using both the current and a more dated version of Interstellar. There's definitely some play between the engine and the two Thermal Control Systems I have on. The ship was steady around 2062K for a long while with one panel open. The craft shook abruptly, then the temperature dropped (slowly) to 1880K. Retracting, it jumps back up 2062K. Extending both, it nosedived to 1576K. BUT there's no loss of thrust. I may go back to 1.0.4, remove the heat control systems, and see how it operates then.

Thank you for looking into this though. Now that I know it's not intentional, I can experiment a little more, and cheat with a clean conscience :P

Glad I could help =)

Figured it out! It's the darn ISRU. When the engine drops, the fuel flow was dropping too. Turning off the ISRU, fuel flow returns to normal and the engine kicks back on. My guess is, the engine would pull from the four nose cones until they're empty. The ISRU would fill the nose cones preferentially, so the engine sees a trickle more fuel in there and would start feeding again--but only at the rate the ISRU produces. If the ISRU is off, only then it'll switch over to using the main fuel tanks. Engine heat is a function of fuel flow, so a total red herring.

Thank you for bearing with me on this. Good to be able to get into orbit!

2 hours ago, nezumi said:

Figured it out! It's the darn ISRU. When the engine drops, the fuel flow was dropping too. Turning off the ISRU, fuel flow returns to normal and the engine kicks back on. My guess is, the engine would pull from the four nose cones until they're empty. The ISRU would fill the nose cones preferentially, so the engine sees a trickle more fuel in there and would start feeding again--but only at the rate the ISRU produces. If the ISRU is off, only then it'll switch over to using the main fuel tanks. Engine heat is a function of fuel flow, so a total red herring.

Thank you for bearing with me on this. Good to be able to get into orbit!

LOL I never considered the ISRU.. 

Awesome... I am glad it is working for you =) 

1 hour ago, EMPeror said:

Anyone else notice a weird snapping issue with the 2.5m Liquid fuel tank?  I have to flip the second one upside down to snap below the first one.

There are a lot of weird snap issues, we kinda work around them but yeah they are there. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.