KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

His data is outdated, I already fixed the density and cost of He3 in CRP dev.

Edit: crap, Roverdude did not merge my adjustments. Seems I need to pull it again

Note that in ResourceDefs.cfg I already made some adjustments.

Also, why didn't RW communicate with me about this?

Edit 2: alright, I made some pull request to fix LqdHe3, LdqDeterium, LdqTritium densities

Edited by FreeThinker

Here is the same craft file pasted into the career game followed by a screenshot of the techtree for that career. It should be fully upgraded according to the information here.

Nope, You don't have High Energy Science researched, therefore it is not fully upgraded. (sorry, this was a mistake on the first page)

Edited by FreeThinker

Oh ok. Thanks for letting me know. I have another question which arose while testing the craft on a trip to Dres. I'm a little unclear on the core temperature and Thermal P mechanics for the open cycle gas core. I understand that it drops in a gravity well and under acceleration and I did notice a slow steady drop while the thermal nozzle was running. I expected that but I shut down the reactor to save on nuclear fuel for the long transit and when I restarted it a couple days before Dres, the thermal P was really low. Instead of .75 (as it was at the beginning of the trip), it was listed as something like .21 out of .23 with really low thrust and never improved. I wasn't in a gravity well. What could cause that?

Freethinker, do you need any further info from me on the thermal turbojet issue that I posted earlier? Please let me know, I can go gather it.

No, the problem is there are 2 distinct kind of behavior for atmospheric thermal propulsion, Ramjet or Turbojet. Thermal Ramjet, is based on real world performance of the Pluto project, it would get improved performance as you increased speed but would not be very suitable for VTOL. Thermal Turbojet is based on no existing technology , performance is better in low atmosphere and therefore VTOL but worse in higher atmosphere.

Edited by FreeThinker

I have a problem with thermal turbojets and CO2, the thrust fall off continuous when it is ruing. When it hit 0 thrust it starts producing CO2. It is only CO2 and Methane as far as i know.

It is with all engine, so it must by the CO2

BASIC_NTR_PROPELLANT

{

name = LqdCO2

guiName = LqdCO2

BaseIspMultiplier = 0.2132

MinDecompositionTemp = 5000

MaxDecompositionTemp = 9000

ispMultiplier = 0.4085

thrustMultiplier = 1.4142

maxSootFactor = 0.33

minSootFactor = -2

levelSootFraction = 0.33

TechRequirement = improvedNuclearPropulsion

PROPELLANT

{

name = LqdCO2

ratio = 1

DrawGauge = True

}

}

Edit: Ok it is the Sooting, is it supposed to happen as fast as it is?

And the going in reverse is clearly a bug.

Edited by EnigmaG

Freethinker - perhaps you're not fully understanding what I'm saying. I'm using the thermal turbojets.. as VTOL. This worked 100% fine before the latest patch. Something changed now where 1. they have a lot less power in atmosphere mode, 2. if I ramp them up high enough to get off the ground and watch the thrust output, the plane will get a bit off the ground and suddenly the thrust drops to about half and the plane bounces back down. If I fly to a higher altitude using normal flight and then try it, it behaves a little better, but anything below about 1000m of altitude, at least on Kerbin, I see the above behavior. I see no reason for the thrust to vary with *altitude* when airspeed is constant, and then only below 1000m. This is definitely new behavior.

Oh, it happens on Duna, too, if that helps. On both planets, switching the TTJ into hydrazine propulsion mode fixes the problem. It's only an issue with Atmosphere propellant.

New day, new bug.

Today we have a bug with the RCS (all of them).

If you put them on the POWER OFF state in the VAB or SPH

http://i62.tinypic.com/21kgwzn.jpg

and then launch them it will result in an Isp as if they were activated (you can notice it in the fuel consumption)

http://i57.tinypic.com/t7lklx.jpg

but if you click two times again on the power button the proper Isp will establish.

http://i58.tinypic.com/im1cu8.jpg

Other behaviours I noticed:

1- Seems that the power consumption (ElectricCharge) is the same on Power on or off states.

2-As I said before the fuel consumption in the bugged off state is the same as on state.

Hey, sorry to bombard with questions this weekend, but is there a difference I'm missing between the Thermal Rocket Nozzle and the Advanced Thermal Nozzle?

While I'm posting so much, let me also say thanks for all the work you're doing on this project! It is obviously quite a handful and your hard work is appreciated!

[h=2]Version 1.5.7 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4[/h] Released on 2015-09-27

• Added Nuclear Candle with Traveling Wave Reactor
  • Added Nuclear Ramjet (Tory) PLUTO style early ramjet which can switch to propellants with Improved Propulsion
  • Ramjet and Turbojet have distinct thrust behavior, Turbojet performs bet at low mach levels while Ramjets perform best at high mach
  • Moved Thermal Nozzle and Thermal Turbojet back to Improved Propulsion
  • Adjusted cost of engines and reactors
  • Removed LqdHelium from Interstellar Fuel Tanks
  • Fixed shocking behavior of Turbojet/Ramjet at low speed
  • Fixed exploit with Arcjet/Resitojet RCS

Edited by FreeThinker

ABZB - since installing 1.5.7, your Mk2 integration mod is throwing 50 errors in modulemanager in the resources config file... not sure yet if it has any practical effect.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah.. ABZB here's what my output_log.txt is saying - KSP will not even start at present. I think there's an incompatibility between your mod and the changes made in KSPIE 1.5.7:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Mk2Expansion/Parts/Aero/AdapterIntake/part/mk2_InlineIntake'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

PartLoader Warning: Variable LionStatus not found in Part

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

PartLoader Warning: Variable LqdAmmoniaamount not found in Part

PartLoader Warning: Variable LqdCO2amount not found in Part

PartLoader Warning: Variable Hexaboraneamount not found in Part

InsterstellarFuelSwitch SetupTankList Error

InsterstellarFuelSwitch InitializeData Error

InsterstellarFuelSwitch OnLoad Error

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.

Parameter name: index

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[system.Collections.Generic.List`1[system.Double]].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at InterstellarFuelSwitch.InterstellarFuelSwitch.SetupTankList (Boolean calledByPlayer) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

InsterstellarFuelSwitch SetupTankList Error

InsterstellarFuelSwitch InitializeData Error

InsterstellarFuelSwitch OnStart Error

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.

Parameter name: index

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[system.Collections.Generic.List`1[system.Double]].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at InterstellarFuelSwitch.InterstellarFuelSwitch.SetupTankList (Boolean calledByPlayer) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Hey, sorry to bombard with questions this weekend, but is there a difference I'm missing between the Thermal Rocket Nozzle and the Advanced Thermal Nozzle?

While I'm posting so much, let me also say thanks for all the work you're doing on this project! It is obviously quite a handful and your hard work is appreciated!

Not at the moment. In the previous version, it allowed the Thermal Rocket Nozzle to aquire Lox afterburner with improved propuslion, but now that it is unlocked with improved propusion, this distinction no longer exists.

- - - Updated - - -

Freethinker - perhaps you're not fully understanding what I'm saying. I'm using the thermal turbojets.. as VTOL. This worked 100% fine before the latest patch. Something changed now where 1. they have a lot less power in atmosphere mode, 2. if I ramp them up high enough to get off the ground and watch the thrust output, the plane will get a bit off the ground and suddenly the thrust drops to about half and the plane bounces back down. If I fly to a higher altitude using normal flight and then try it, it behaves a little better, but anything below about 1000m of altitude, at least on Kerbin, I see the above behavior. I see no reason for the thrust to vary with *altitude* when airspeed is constant, and then only below 1000m. This is definitely new behavior.

Oh, it happens on Duna, too, if that helps. On both planets, switching the TTJ into hydrazine propulsion mode fixes the problem. It's only an issue with Atmosphere propellant.

I understand now. Please verify if the bug has solved in the latest version

ABZB - since installing 1.5.7, your Mk2 integration mod is throwing 50 errors in modulemanager in the resources config file... not sure yet if it has any practical effect.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah.. ABZB here's what my output_log.txt is saying - KSP will not even start at present. I think there's an incompatibility between your mod and the changes made in KSPIE 1.5.7:

Cropped some of the quote.

From investigating the MK2Integration the errors seem to come from \StarLionIndustries\Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration\InterstellarFuelSwitch\IFS_Expanded_Resources.cfg

It's not using the 1.5.7 revision of tanks in regards to Helium storage as far as I can tell... So my personal solution is to change it from a .cfg to a .cfg.notWorking

I hope that illuminates your day :)

Thank you for a great mod FreeThinker. (And anyone else assisting in the development of it)

// Edit: //

Seems just renaming the cfg to not work disables all tanks to be able to switch between fuels, so not a solution for the error-heap :)

Edited by RenewableRocket
Found a bug in my "Fix"

Freethinker - sorry for the bad quoting of the log. Thanks for addressing the TTJ problem; I will tell you if it's fixed as soon as the error with the MK2Integration is fixed, since I now have converted all my craft to use that, and with the bug in place I cannot even start KSP at all :( hopefully soon. From your description it sounds like it was addressed but I will let you know ASAP. Thanks :)

Sadly, I seem to have hit a bug first thing on the new version. When I have a MSR on top of a thermal converter with a fusion reactor below it causes the thermal converter to not work. This use to work in the old versions, and it should have about 100,000MW (yes MW) of thermal power right now. (one other small note, I miss the large heat radiators, the other ones, do not scale up enough, as they are capped at 400% =( )

image.png

Further experimentation, if I add another generator, it fixes the problem.

image.png

(This does make sense, as there are differing reactor temperatures so it cannot figure out efficiency but it seems like it should at least pick one.)

Edited by Profit-

I think I noticed a bug, similar to someone's above me. Using the Thermal Rocket Nozzle, I can't seem to get any more than about 10kN of thrust from the MCF Reactor. My setup is, from top down, a DUMBO reactor, a (tweaked) inline radiator (so it's larger), a thermal electric generator, the MCF Reactor, and the thermal rocket nozzle. The MCF apparently has enough power for the maintenance purposes, but it's still not producing the thermal power necessary to use the thermal rocket nozzle (at least more than 10kN or so). Thoughts?

Well this sounds as a differnt problem. The MFC is not very good for high thrust propulsion (only 60% efficient) combine this with High Isp and High atmospheric pressure, and you end up with low thrust for lauch from Kerbin. A better configuration would be the reverse. Use the DUMBO for thermal propulsion/auxilery power and the MFC for high efficient electric/magnetic nozzle propulsion.

Btw, I would be realy nice if someone create me a nozzle with a smaller throth , optimised for atmosphere

Edited by FreeThinker

Found a little typo in a patch file, \WarpPlugin\Patches\HeatManagement.cfg

It adds the values for part Heatsink250n onto the already modified Heatsink125n, so you have both parts interstellar FNRadiators on the 125n part and none on the 250n part.

Do you want me to post such little fixes I find in this thread or somewhere else?

Alright, could you explain the first setup in more detail so I can reporiduce the problem.

This is the basic setup. I have a charged particle gen,with a upgraded fusion, a thermal generator, and a molten salt generator stacked on top to beam energy to vehicles. The Thermal electric generator would not produce energy for more than a few seconds in this configuration.

image.png

Edited by Profit-

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.