KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

The mod works fine for me (using the current version of KSP and mod) but I am trying to build it from the sources on github myself and in the solution (stuff for MS Visual studio) the existing configs are named "Release KSP0.25", "Release KSP 0.90", "Debug KSP 0.90" - these names do not actually have to match any actual version.

For KSP 0.90 you need to find the Boris Maintenance Port.

@FreeThinker

"Release KSP0.25" builds but for "Release KSP 0.90" (and "Debug KSP 0.90") I get errors like

Error 17 Unable to copy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll" to "..\..\..\..\..\Games\Kerbal Space Program 0.90\GameData\OpenResourceSystem\Plugins\Assembly-CSharp.dll". Access to the path '..\..\..\..\..\Games\Kerbal Space Program 0.90\GameData\OpenResourceSystem\Plugins' is denied. OpenResourceSystem

I did neither find out where i can change the path nor where it should point to. Can you point me to info about that?

Ooops - I installed VS 2013 (12.0) instead of VS 2012 (11.0) but this actually should not break the copying, right?

No, I'm usiing VS 2013 myself. Not sure what is wrong, have you verified you got acces to all paths?

Well looks like plasma engine doesn't have throttle.

And thermal receiver with thermal generator can transfer sane amount of energy unlike other types of microwave receivers - I have TW energy worth microwave transmitters.

http://imgur.com/a/flLHH

Seems you found an exploit/bug.

The problem is that the Thermal Generator forget's to create waste heat like when reactor produce thermal heat, this will cause the thermal electric generator to act like a very strong radiator allowing you to use electric thrusters witout any heating issues.

Edited by FreeThinker

Okay i've searched everywhere and still can't figure this out. What should I do with my pebble bed reactor which is full of depleted fuel? I brought up a ship with 2 UraniumNitride containers which both have space for 30 units of depleted fuel. Should I be able to transfer the depleted fuel from the reactor back to the tanks? I see the community resource pack CFG has Depleted Fuels transfer mode set to NONE. I also checked the reprocess nuclear fuel code and see that this is only for actinides. Do I just need to dump my reactor/propulsion module?

Okay i've searched everywhere and still can't figure this out. What should I do with my pebble bed reactor which is full of depleted fuel? I brought up a ship with 2 UraniumNitride containers which both have space for 30 units of depleted fuel. Should I be able to transfer the depleted fuel from the reactor back to the tanks? I see the community resource pack CFG has Depleted Fuels transfer mode set to NONE. I also checked the reprocess nuclear fuel code and see that this is only for actinides. Do I just need to dump my reactor/propulsion module?

You could stick this somewhere:

@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[Actinides,DepletedFuel,ThF4,EnrichedUranium]
{
@transfer = PUMP
}

Issue is that all of those resources have both no flowmode (which does make sense - your nuclear fuel does not generally slosh around as needed) and no enabled pump (so you can't transfer them manually).

I put the above into my gamedata months ago, as otherwise EPL-built fission-powered craft tended to be kind of screwed.

You could stick this somewhere:

@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[Actinides,DepletedFuel,ThF4,EnrichedUranium]
{
@transfer = PUMP
}

Issue is that all of those resources have both no flowmode (which does make sense - your nuclear fuel does not generally slosh around as needed) and no enabled pump (so you can't transfer them manually).

I put the above into my gamedata months ago, as otherwise EPL-built fission-powered craft tended to be kind of screwed.

Thanks. I figured I could either edit the resources in the save game or edit the communityresources.cfg file. The MM patch is the best solution though since it doesn't interfere with CKANs ability to update. I was more wondering if there is a 'correct' way to perform a nuclear refueling for the Pebble Bed reactor. Or if they simply can't be refueled. This will be going in my beginners guide since I've seen this question asked a few times in the various KSPI threads but never saw a response from anyone about it. I suspect the players just gave up and launched a new reactor?

The truth of matter might simply be that at one time Fractal might have been a plan what to do with them, but he is no longer around. I'm inclined to see them as a form of handicap, like the poisoning of a nuclear reactor over time.

The truth of matter might simply be that at one time Fractal might have been a plan what to do with them, but he is no longer around. I'm inclined to see them as a form of handicap, like the poisoning of a nuclear reactor over time.

The mechanic feels broken a bit since there's absolutely no point in allowing refueling of that reactor of you can't remove the products. I'll be modifying the fuel flow mode to allow for a more flexible game. Ideally depleted fuel could be removed with an engineer on board and some time.

Oh and if you get a chance I've got some things that need review in the beginners guide. I've highlighted them in yellow.

Edited by Trolllception

The mechanic feels broken a bit since there's absolutely no point in allowing refueling of that reactor of you can't remove the products. I'll be modifying the fuel flow mode to allow for a more flexible game. Ideally depleted fuel could be removed with an engineer on board and some time.

Oh and if you get a chance I've got some things that need review in the beginners guide. I've highlighted them in yellow.

How about movement of EnrichedUranum? Ammonolysis doesn't work since the ISRU cannot feed EnrichedUranium from tanks, that would be a necessary factor for ISRU replenishment.

The problem is that I cannot change CRP resource because other mods rely on them

What I can shange it what resource KSPI change. On the first page, I have already lays out how to handle it.

In ahort, there is going to be a distinction between DepletedUranium and DepletedFuel. DepletedFuel will be in contrast to DepletedUranium. Allowing you to move it arround.

The problem is that I cannot change CRP resource because other mods rely on them

What I can shange it what resource KSPI change. On the first page, I have already lays out how to handle it.

In ahort, there is going to be a distinction between DepletedUranium and DepletedFuel. DepletedFuel will be in contrast to DepletedUranium. Allowing you to move it arround.

The only mod in community resource pack using DepletedFuel is KSPI according to the CFG inline notes. Changing it to DepletedUranium would change behavior of other mods since Near Future uses that resource. The CFG seems to indicate that it's curated by KSPI-E which would imply you have the right to request that it be changed in the Community Resource pack. Would it also make sense to add the other resources that KSPI has added over time? Also would the Module Manager file that AZBZ posted also suffice until a Community Resource pack update was made?

Hiya everybody, I'm still playing around with the super collider and have been noticing a few things.

When your data hits 1500/1500 and you send a kerbal eva to the collider and right click on it, there's no provision for the kerbal to "collect" the data. Instead you're offered a button to "deploy" the collider. Clicking "deploy" doesn't seem to do much, but the button changes from "deploy" to "close". You're also offered a "download data" button, but clicking on that from an EVAed kerbal causes you to lose the data. I've a feeling that's not working as intended.

if you keep your kerbals inside, have a lab module, and right click the collider, you're offered the opportunity to click "process in lab module". Doing so always results in a "not enough space for data" failure. You don't lose the data, you can still keep or transmit it, but if it never works, why is it offered?

If you transmit the data, the experiment locks like a goo pod, but you can still run the experiment and collect the data. It won't let you download the data that's there. If you have a lab, you can clean the experiment. (and lose the data) If you run the experiment, collect data and hit transmit; you can clean the experiment. Takes forever and warping time doesn't help, but that's a problem with all cleanable experiments. Unlike a goo pod or bay, there's no provision to allow an EVAed scientist the opportunity to clean the experiment. After cleaning, the "clean experiment [1]" button is still offered by right clicking on the lab, but the collider acts as if it's clean.

Tooling around the KSC with a nuke powered, collider equipped, rover I find that at each biome I get:

165 science for driving to the biome, running the experiment to 1500/1500 (which takes 4 days) and recovering

96.3 science for doing it a second time in the same biome. (261.3 total for that biome)

56.1 science for the third time. (317.4 total for that biome)

If I run the experiment, transmit the data, clean the experiment, re-run the experiment, and recover I get 213.1 science.

Doing this takes a lot longer than launching and driving to the desired KSP biome twice, and you get less science.

Cleaning and re-running without the opportunity to EVA and collecting the data really isn't worth it.

So, with 32 biomes, and running each biome 3 or 4 times, you have over ten thousand science available without leaving the ground at KSP.

Opinion time...

I think the collider shouldn't work on Kerbin's surface. (The part description says as much)

I think it should run like a magnetometer, run it once and transmit 100% of the data. Having a fractional value if you transmit and no ability to EVA and collect data means you'll only get full value from the science if you recover the collider. (It'd be interesting to see how difficult it is to have the thing survive re-entry)

Some news on the plume. I'm still working for saving persistently the position of Flares and Plumes for TTJ, btw, this is the Thermal Rocket Nozzle, with AM reactor. Note that with less powerful reactors, the effect is less white and more red

5DuVzAQ.png

I still have no success with MPD, is there a secret about their exhaust?

Version 1.4.6 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4

Released on 2015-08-29

• Fixed Thrust during timewarp which was not calculated correctly at all times
  • Fission fragment Engine (Plasma Reactor) will now convert part of fission product into propellant, increasing effective Isp of magnetic nozzle
  • Increased storage density Uranium Nitrite storage canisters

- - - Updated - - -

Hiya everybody, I'm still playing around with the super collider and have been noticing a few things.

When your data hits 1500/1500 and you send a kerbal eva to the collider and right click on it, there's no provision for the kerbal to "collect" the data. Instead you're offered a button to "deploy" the collider. Clicking "deploy" doesn't seem to do much, but the button changes from "deploy" to "close". You're also offered a "download data" button, but clicking on that from an EVAed kerbal causes you to lose the data. I've a feeling that's not working as intended.

if you keep your kerbals inside, have a lab module, and right click the collider, you're offered the opportunity to click "process in lab module". Doing so always results in a "not enough space for data" failure. You don't lose the data, you can still keep or transmit it, but if it never works, why is it offered?

If you transmit the data, the experiment locks like a goo pod, but you can still run the experiment and collect the data. It won't let you download the data that's there. If you have a lab, you can clean the experiment. (and lose the data) If you run the experiment, collect data and hit transmit; you can clean the experiment. Takes forever and warping time doesn't help, but that's a problem with all cleanable experiments. Unlike a goo pod or bay, there's no provision to allow an EVAed scientist the opportunity to clean the experiment. After cleaning, the "clean experiment [1]" button is still offered by right clicking on the lab, but the collider acts as if it's clean.

Tooling around the KSC with a nuke powered, collider equipped, rover I find that at each biome I get:

165 science for driving to the biome, running the experiment to 1500/1500 (which takes 4 days) and recovering

96.3 science for doing it a second time in the same biome. (261.3 total for that biome)

56.1 science for the third time. (317.4 total for that biome)

If I run the experiment, transmit the data, clean the experiment, re-run the experiment, and recover I get 213.1 science.

Doing this takes a lot longer than launching and driving to the desired KSP biome twice, and you get less science.

Cleaning and re-running without the opportunity to EVA and collecting the data really isn't worth it.

So, with 32 biomes, and running each biome 3 or 4 times, you have over ten thousand science available without leaving the ground at KSP.

Opinion time...

I think the collider shouldn't work on Kerbin's surface. (The part description says as much)

I think it should run like a magnetometer, run it once and transmit 100% of the data. Having a fractional value if you transmit and no ability to EVA and collect data means you'll only get full value from the science if you recover the collider. (It'd be interesting to see how difficult it is to have the thing survive re-entry)

Thanks for the report. Preventing the to be run at ground/in atmosphere should be easy.

Regarding balance. What do you think about the cost benefits. My guess it's gives too much science, what do you think?

In an end-game situation isn't so much science, if you need to build more or less a station to make it run (lab, reactor...)

EDIT: it seems I'm unable to make Real Plume works for any electric engine... Can you help me? Probably something overwrite the RP config, how to disable the "stock" effect? I tried with Vista, Magnetic Nozzle and Quantum Vacuum.

Edited by Nansuchao

IEDIT: it seems I'm unable to make Real Plume works for any electric engine... Can you help me? Probably something overwrite the RP config, how to disable the "stock" effect? I tried with Vista, Magnetic Nozzle and Quantum Vacuum.

I think you nee to do something similar like the InterstellarPlasmaThruster in the HotRocketFix.cfg

If you cut "on Kerbin" and "in Kerbid atmosphere" it should be fine.

Perhaps also cut per-biome for other bodies. Say a single high over/near/ground for each planet and moon?

Potential mission:

Collider & Science lab lander.

(You'll need two scientists to run lab)

Travel to high orbit over destination body.

Collect & transmit data, Clean collider.

Move to low orbit.

Land.

That's only three uses out of a collider.

If someone can come up with a ship that could do that,

then move the thing another body and do it again...

They deserve the science :)

I changed the Supercollider Experiment to situationMask = 43 (from 63) biomeMask = 0 (from 7) and reduced scienceCap to 1000 (from 1350) and base value 500 (from 550) should this enough?

Btw, has anyone played around yet with the new magnetic nozzle acceleration at timewarp?

Btw, has anyone played around yet with the new magnetic nozzle acceleration at timewarp?

How exactly does that work? I clearly can not just throttle up like usual during timewarp. Is there an extra button for it?

edit: Also is there any special intention behind the particle accelerator not being able to generate data while the ship is not active? for me it is just an inconvenience having to switch to it while I'm waiting to execute a manoeuvre with some other ship. It doesn't seem to add much to the game

Edited by tetrapack

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.