KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Just now, Felipe Guimarães said:

By the way, is there a way to use thermal turbojet with a microwave network?

ye, you can use a thermal reciever (the black cylinder) which converts your microwave energy into thermal power for the engine

19 hours ago, gary85 said:

i play career , and its not that hydrogen boils off because cooling is on all tanks.

8UCKA0h.jpg

PhAHaZ9.png

NO you cannot use the VISTA in the atmpsphere, the lasers would no even be able to hit the target relaible, let alone the light would be scattered and absorbed by air molecules *nitrogen and oxygen. Especialy superheated oxygen would be nasty.

Despite this limitation, the VISTA is one of the most powerful engines in KSP as it combines both high trust 1500 kN with high Isp 15000 s  NO other propulsion has this power. It is most effective in games where Kerbin is scaled up, as you would only have to reach space and you can cheaply get into orbit.

Edited by FreeThinker

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

NO you cannot use the VISTA in the atmpsphere, the lasers would no even be able to hit the target relaible, let alone thr light would be scattered and absorbed by air molecules *nitrogen and ogygen. Especialy superheated oxygen would be nasty.

Despite this limitation, the VISTA is one of the most powerful engines in KSP as it combines both high trust 1500 kN with high Isp 15000 s  NO other propulsion has this power. It is most effective in games where Kerbin is scaled up, as you would only have to reach space and you can cheaply get into orbit.

i know it dont work in atmosphere , it was like that form 0.2.5 or something , but it was more effcient , it burn so much fuel now . And im pretty sure it worked on all fuels and now it can only run on liquid hydrogen.

4 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

NO you cannot use the VISTA in the atmpsphere, the lasers would no even be able to hit the target relaible, let alone thr light would be scattered and absorbed by air molecules *nitrogen and ogygen. Especialy superheated oxygen would be nasty.

Is it intentional that I cannot scale down the size of D-T Vista Engine?

Actually there Is a bunch of reactors, and engines, that I either can’t scale to smaller sizes, or scale at all.

16 minutes ago, Felipe Guimarães said:

Is it intentional that I cannot scale down the size of D-T Vista Engine?

Actually there Is a bunch of reactors, and engines, that I either can’t scale to smaller sizes, or scale at all.

Yes it is intentional both from a game balance perspective and for realism. They usually go hand in hand. For atmospheric use , you should use the Thermal  Turbojet or Ramjet, they require no propellant. You can't beat that

8 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes it is intentional both from a game balance perspective and for realism. They usually go hand in hand. For atmospheric use , you should use the Thermal  Turbojet or Ramjet, they require no propellant. You can't beat that

Thermal Turbojet seens broke atm, shouldn't it have a max trust of 200kn? Mine is so ridiculously high, that i have to limit it to 10%. By the way, i have a power network that supply me with 400GW

3 minutes ago, Felipe Guimarães said:

Thermal Turbojet seens broke atm, shouldn't it have a max trust of 200kn? Mine is so ridiculously high, that i have to limit it to 10%. By the way, i have a power network that supply me with 400GW

Currently, there is no upper limit on the amount of power that can be converted into thrust. I agree it need some balance.

The IR power relay network probably also needs some realism tweaks as yet again, there are no upper limits which makes it possible for a tiny microwave receiver to receive an insane amount of power. In reality, it would overload and melt

So I was playing around with a bunch of mod combinations today (eg UKS+KSPI & NFE+KSPI) and found some lets say 'strage things' occuring...

First, if I recall correctly KSPI detects if NFE is installed and applies some patches to the reactor power etc...which works fine. However I think the radiator power isn't being scaled down appropriately. E.g when using the huge IXS Magnetic Confinement Reactor I'd need atleast two scaled up (1.6-1.8) large folding Radiators to have 100% cooling. But with NFE the same reactor just requires about two 0.95 scaled ones.

Second, I encountered some strange NullRef errors being thrown on my KSPI powered Spaceplane (TTJ + Magneto Inertial Reactor) stating 

"NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at NearFutureElectrical.RadioactiveStorageContainer.GetResourceAmount (System.String nm) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NearFutureElectrical.RadioactiveStorageContainer.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 "

So I guess either a NFE Module is trying to force its code onto the KSPI Reactors or vice versa. (log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B088tTghL16sYW12VFBGeDNTR2M zipped cuz its quite large)

Also usually my Magneto Inertial Reactor (2.5) required about a 1.25m MoltenSalt generator to keep the fusion going but with NFE I had to increase the size to 1.875 to prevent shutdown at max power.

Last, I remember reading a few pages back that you included a patch to make the UKS reactors behave like KSPI ones - which also includes the .625 one...however the regular molten salt just scales down to 1.25.

I guess some of this is just my install behaving weird because of heavy modding but anyway thanks for reading till here :D

Edit: Just remembered another thing...is it intended that the thermal launch nozzle has vector like gimbal in one and almost no gimbal in the other direction?

Edited by Amnesy

Version 1.8.12 for Kerbal Space Program 1.1

Released on 2016-04-24

• Upgraded IFS to 1.24 (fixing negative fuel tank mass in the VAB)
  • Fixed Generator negative mass issue in VAB
  • Fixed inaccurate mass prediction for Interstellar Fuel Tanks in the VAB

I have some problems with this great mod: the RCS things are just visually working the microwave receiver and warp drive have no right-click menu. I have deleted the toolbar mod and I have a lot of other mods installed.

Please help.

Edited by hoowuth

52 minutes ago, hoowuth said:

I have some problems with this great mod: the RCS things are just visually working the microwave receiver and warp drive have no right-click menu. I have deleted the toolbar mod and I have a lot of other mods installed.

Please help.

The toolbar mod must be installed otherwise no right click menu will work

NAUMEsD.jpg
Alright, I added a emitter doodad and darkened the coil texture a bit. Also extended the top a bit to make more room for feeder tube thingy I tried doing paneling on the texture but i don't like it very much. It's a layer so easy to delete.
Unless there are any suggestions I'll add a thrustTransform and export it in Unity. Also, what scale do we want this at? the base is around 3.25 right now. I'll also include the .XCF in case anyone wants to improve on my textures.

Edited by SpaceMouse

I have a large log file for you, Kraken being caused by https://github.com/sswelm/KSP-Interstellar-Extended/blob/master/FNPlugin/Microwave/MicrowaveSources.cs on vessel launch. There doesn't seem to be a consistent cause of it, I'm not even using any KSP Interstellar parts on the vessels that crash it.

Here's the output_log

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6XmL37AFRVGWV81UTBBb1I0VGs

1 hour ago, bkeevil said:

What could be causing all my liquid hydrogen to leak out when I go to 100,000x time warp?  At 10,000x it seems to hold its fuel but go a notch higher and the fuel is gone in seconds.

A lot of things break at max time warp just because of such high approximations. I find that things that rely on power tend to stop working at 100,000x

I can't get the game to load up with this modpack, it freezes when loading "WarpPlugin\Parts\Engines\KANDL\KANDL\KspiNuclearCandle", any idea how to fix this?

I've checked the KANDL.cfg but since I'm not familiar with modding KSP I've got no clue what I'm looking for.

Edited by Payne

27 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Most likely you installed it incorrectly. Please verify you put all the folder in your GameData folder and not created a second gamedata folder inside your game data folder

In my modding frenzy I seem to have accidentally deleted the very much so required "Squad" folder from my GameData folder :D

Yay me!

Edited by Payne
problem solved

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.