KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

6 hours ago, Sahadara said:

Does there exist a patch to add resources to planets that orbit the new stars of Galactic Neighborhood? If not, is there some way to have a baseline random resource map made for new bodies?

Well for minable resources, it uses the stock resource, so this should at least allow you to find basic resource on every rocky planet. Atmosphere is still done by ORS which requires a definition. If you think a planet atmosphere is mission, please supply the defenitions and I can add it to the list

15 hours ago, Youen said:

I kind of solved that issue by creating a new chiller part ; work in progress here: https://github.com/neuoy/KSPChiller

It looks like a regular KSP active radiator, but simulates a vapor-compression system that can get the attached part to any temperature (down to 10K). I hope I got the math right for realistic behavior ; I still need to find a good reference for very low temperature refrigeration, so far I've been surprised about the energy requirements, but then I never read anything about what kind of energy it takes to refrigerate a rocket liquid hydrogen tank... Also, I suspect my code is not very accurate for such a wide range of temperatures it can currently handle (I suppose a different refrigerant fluid should be used for different temperatures, etc.), and the machinery would probably be bigger (and heavier) than the stock KSP model I've used. And I've not accounted for the fuels state change (gas to liquid) that should require more energy, because it's not so simple (there are a lot of different fuels to handle), and doesn't make sense in the first place (the initial problem is that the tank is filled with liquid hydrogen that is too warm to be liquid... but it's not a gas either because the tank can't hold that, it would take much more volume and/or pressure).

My use case is to refrigerate a fuel tank, but the chiller allows refrigeration of any part (only the part directly connected is affected). Don't expect good results unless the part is well insulated (which is the case with Real Fuel cryogenic tanks it seems).

I tried to achieve the very same thing. It use the specific heat variables to calucalte the required energy to maintain the same cryogenic temperatures. It worked, sort of, but the problem is that stock thermal model has the nasy habit of working againt what you expect. Also, it tends to break down at higher timewarp so I kind of gave up and hoped someone else with more patience could create an accurate cryogenic simulation which would also work at high time warp. If your Chiller turns out to works well, I would like to use it to replace KSPI exising cryogenics part modules

Edited by FreeThinker

KSP: 1.1.3 Windows 64bit

Problem: Microwave Transmitter wont Transmit power

Mods installed:

KSP Interstellar Extended(Latest Version via CKAN)

Reproduction steps:

Attach microwave tranmitter( Activate Tranmitter button not pressent. See link below)

Log:

<a href="https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B043pVTzCvc4N2ZBVklpN1JmdzA/view?usp=sharing">Here</a> is my setup(I hope this is not a noob question.

I have searched all over google and sat through many tutorials. I have even clean installed and even tried in sandbox..

33 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

it tends to break down at higher timewarp

Good point, I've not tested that yet. I'll let you know. Also, it still requires insulated tanks, I don't think the stock game has any.

35 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

If your Chiller turns out to works well, I would like to use it to replace KSPI exising cryogenics part modules

OK, that would be great :) Feel free to take what you want, when you want (the license allows it anyway).

1 hour ago, randmsurvivor said:

KSP: 1.1.3 Windows 64bit

Problem: Microwave Transmitter wont Transmit power

Mods installed:

KSP Interstellar Extended(Latest Version via CKAN)

Reproduction steps:

Attach microwave tranmitter( Activate Tranmitter button not pressent. See link below)

Log:

<a href="https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B043pVTzCvc4N2ZBVklpN1JmdzA/view?usp=sharing">Here</a> is my setup(I hope this is not a noob question.

I have searched all over google and sat through many tutorials. I have even clean installed and even tried in sandbox..

For the moment, use the MIcrowave Rectenna, it is currently the only part the can transmit microwave power. The Phased Array Microwave Tranmitter, is actualy a Transiever without the capacity to convert Vessel Power to Microwave Power.

Edited by FreeThinker

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I tried to achieve the very same thing. It use the specific heat variables to calucalte the required energy to maintain the same cryogenic temperatures. It worked, sort of, but the problem is that stock thermal model has the nasy habit of working againt what you expect. Also, it tends to break down at higher timewarp so I kind of gave up and hoped someone else with more patience could create an accurate cryogenic simulation which would also work at high time warp. If your Chiller turns out to works well, I would like to use it to replace KSPI exising cryogenics part modules

The Background Simulation included in Kerbalism works also at high timewarp in the last few version. Maybe it can help solving the stock issue.

This is a bit of a weird one, the Deinonychus engine doesn't seem to have any gimbal ability at all, I just recently started using it as a mid-stage booster for mid-career mode, and my rocket is unable to start its gravity turn when using only the Deinonychus engine. I went into the config to change the engine's gimbal from 1 to 5 (7.5 degrees) but it still has no ability to gimbal. May this be an overlooked bug?

On 18.08.2016 at 7:44 PM, Youen said:

I kind of solved that issue by creating a new chiller part ; work in progress here: https://github.com/neuoy/KSPChiller

It looks like a regular KSP active radiator, but simulates a vapor-compression system that can get the attached part to any temperature (down to 10K). I hope I got the math right for realistic behavior ; I still need to find a good reference for very low temperature refrigeration, so far I've been surprised about the energy requirements, but then I never read anything about what kind of energy it takes to refrigerate a rocket liquid hydrogen tank... Also, I suspect my code is not very accurate for such a wide range of temperatures it can currently handle (I suppose a different refrigerant fluid should be used for different temperatures, etc.), and the machinery would probably be bigger (and heavier) than the stock KSP model I've used. And I've not accounted for the fuels state change (gas to liquid) that should require more energy, because it's not so simple (there are a lot of different fuels to handle), and doesn't make sense in the first place (the initial problem is that the tank is filled with liquid hydrogen that is too warm to be liquid... but it's not a gas either because the tank can't hold that, it would take much more volume and/or pressure).

My use case is to refrigerate a fuel tank, but the chiller allows refrigeration of any part (only the part directly connected is affected). Don't expect good results unless the part is well insulated (which is the case with Real Fuel cryogenic tanks it seems).

There was already such a MOD:

How does KSPChiller fares against Heat Pumps for RF?

Here is a little sneak peak of a part we are working on

p8vnSh9.jpg

This particular model, the FELA is mend for deep space power transmission

9 hours ago, secretly_asian said:

This is a bit of a weird one, the Deinonychus engine doesn't seem to have any gimbal ability at all, I just recently started using it as a mid-stage booster for mid-career mode, and my rocket is unable to start its gravity turn when using only the Deinonychus engine. I went into the config to change the engine's gimbal from 1 to 5 (7.5 degrees) but it still has no ability to gimbal. May this be an overlooked bug?

I guess the gimbal is broken, to fix it change gimbarTransformName to any other name you can think of.

Anyone else seeing Null Ref Exptns. on the semi folding radiator. As soon as I expend/deploy it I get an endless slew of:

"NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ModuleDeployableRadiator.UpdatePanelExtended () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ModuleDeployableRadiator.updateFSM () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ModuleDeployableRadiator.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: -1)"

This is the only deploy-able radiator that is throwing this exception. The squad and heatControl radiators are working fine.

Exception happens as soon as radiator is deployed, I even tested it as the only part attached to a probe core and same result. Both in space and on Kerbin.

Here is the log from the last session: Output-log

I really hope someone can find the issues here, this radiator is the best looking in the game IMO.

I found other usage for triple alpha reactor (this one with built in charged particle generator).:

Use it on p-Li7 mode, as it produces most energy. You can power other fusion engines with it, and there is no power loss with hot radiators unlike with molten salt reactor!

26 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

I found other usage for triple alpha reactor (this one with built in charged particle generator).:

Use it on p-Li7 mode, as it produces most energy. You can power other fusion engines with it, and there is no power loss with hot radiators unlike with molten salt reactor!

Indeed, the Tripple Alpha might seem weak untill you discover it hidden strength, the ability to  always perform at 100% with minimal  wasteheat footprint

Here's a list of little things I have noticed at this point with the mod (1.9.11)

Radiators: Non deployable radiators have deploy/retract options,  Deployable radiators have both "extend/retract" and "deploy/retract" options.

Quantum Singularity Reactor still has the description referring to when the model was used as a refinery.

Universal Liquidficator & Universal Gasifier: Description should be swapped: liquificator should be to changed to "gas to liquid" (not "liquid to gas") & gasifier should indicate "liquid to gas" (not "gas to liquid"), when activating either HE3 or HE4 the disable buttons for those options will refer to hydrogen though it still disables the proper one.

Tri-Alpha Reactor: I can switch between He3/HE3, proton-li6, proton-li7, and proton-boron11 just fine, but the info pannel mentioned multiple other modes that it does not seem to have options to switch to in either vab or on the launch pad (Deuterium-Tritium, Deuterium-HE3, Deuterium-Deuterium, HE3 Catalyzed D-D, Tritium Catalyzed D-D, Tritium-Tritium, & Deuterium-LI6, ) ,  Makes  the He4, Tritium, Deuterium storage useless.  Even if all modes are present why HE4 for storage?  The reactor control window also indicates LqdHelium as a biproduct but lists LqdHelium Storage as 0 even when an empty tank is present.

KSP Interstellar now has a it's very own logo thanks to Eleusis La Arwall

7Pu1cvH.jpg

2 hours ago, WaYa said:

Here's a list of little things I have noticed at this point with the mod (1.9.11)

Radiators: Non deployable radiators have deploy/retract options,  Deployable radiators have both "extend/retract" and "deploy/retract" options.

Quantum Singularity Reactor still has the description referring to when the model was used as a refinery.

Universal Liquidficator & Universal Gasifier: Description should be swapped: liquificator should be to changed to "gas to liquid" (not "liquid to gas") & gasifier should indicate "liquid to gas" (not "gas to liquid"), when activating either HE3 or HE4 the disable buttons for those options will refer to hydrogen though it still disables the proper one.

Tri-Alpha Reactor: I can switch between He3/HE3, proton-li6, proton-li7, and proton-boron11 just fine, but the info pannel mentioned multiple other modes that it does not seem to have options to switch to in either vab or on the launch pad (Deuterium-Tritium, Deuterium-HE3, Deuterium-Deuterium, HE3 Catalyzed D-D, Tritium Catalyzed D-D, Tritium-Tritium, & Deuterium-LI6, ) ,  Makes  the He4, Tritium, Deuterium storage useless.  Even if all modes are present why HE4 for storage?  The reactor control window also indicates LqdHelium as a biproduct but lists LqdHelium Storage as 0 even when an empty tank is present.

All good points, take +1 rep

33 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

I talked about precoolers in DR thread.

Starwasher said, that precoolers shouldn't be used in SSTO designs - their low skin maxtemp is intentional.

So looks like we have to cool engines with radiators.

Well that makes perfect sence, NOT.

21 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well that makes perfect sence, NOT.

well radiators did good job all way to the orbit.

Here's my craft:

http://imgur.com/a/2d9jr

Instead of 2 precoolers it has smaller fuel tank with Hydrazine.

Edit:

This triple alpha reactor should have hydrogen gasifier/liquifier too.

Edited by raxo2222

2 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

I talked about precoolers in DR thread.

Starwasher said, that precoolers shouldn't be used in SSTO designs - their low skin maxtemp is intentional.

So looks like we have to cool engines with radiators.

Tell that to the people actually buildind the Skylon spaceplane.

On 8/15/2016 at 1:40 PM, FreeThinker said:

I heard that there are certain part module you can add to force DR not to mess with the part, perhaps you can figure out what it is.

You can use ModuleAeroReentry iirc: https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/NearFutureElectrical/blob/master/GameData/NearFutureElectrical/Patches/NFElectricalDRE.cfg

How many extrasolar system mods are available for this game?

I'm aware of Kumar's dwarf stars and the Valentine system. Are there more?

I saw someone refer to "galactic neighborhood" up above  . . . ADDIT: and of course, within minutes of posting this question I find the Galactic Neighborhood mod thread . . .

Edited by Diche Bach
more or less answered my own question

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.