KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

I am receiving module manager errors when attempting to load the game. 110 errors related to mk2_KSPI.cfg. It then hangs when attempting to load the mk2Fuselage. Here is a section from my Player.log in Linux. Looks like a great mod though.

[ModuleManager] Applying node StarLionIndustries/Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration/mk2_KSPI/@PART[mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk2Fuselage|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk3FuselageLF_100]:FIRST to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk2FuselageLong/L_long/mk2Fuselage

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[ModuleManager] Cannot find key tempvolume in PART

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key resourceAmounts = #$/tempvolume$;#$/tempvolume$;#$/lqdH$,#$/lqdOh$;#$/lqdMeth$,#$/lqdOth$;#$/tempvolume$;#$/tempvolume$;#$/tempvolume$;#$/tempvolume$;#$/tempvolume$;#$/tempvolume$;#$/tempvolume$;#$/tempvolume$;#$/tempvolume$

[ModuleManager] Cannot find key percentage in PART

Edited by Trolllception

This is awesome to see, I tried to build SSTO with Mk-2+KSPIE parts, but nothing happen in case of rescaled to 1.25 Thermaljet + 1.25 Fission reactor gave me too low dV in comparsion with 2.5m parts. I know - bigger is better, so I'm not surprised)

For now i'm testing my Mk-3 based SSTO, capable to land on Eve and get back to Kerbin. Maybe today I gonna use it in career, so I'll share some screenshots

Edited by Cosmonauth

1.25m parts will overheat a lot faster than 2.5m - it's all about how much % throttle you're running though, so if you used multiple 1.25m, that'd be better - although your framerates will take a hit due to part count. Seriously though look a couple pages back for my "mini tutorial" - SSTO is pretty trivial once you have antimatter power.

You cannot mine Uranium nitride directly, you first need to mine Uranium, which will be stored as EnrichedUranium. You should them be able to convert it to Uranium Nitride, but this doesn't work yet (due to flow issues)

i know about mining only Uranium, and yes i mean converter is not working.

P.S. is any way to make mechjeb(landing with magnetic/thermal nozzle, maneuver execution with magnetic nozzle) compatible, may be change thrust level to linear not exponential?

Looks like microwave receivers need to be automatic and more fine grained (min is 1%) - my 100000 m/s DV spaceship is overheating even with engines shutdown - there is like 100 TW of power coming from sky lol

It needs 7 GW of power to run at full thrust.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Edit: Looks like microwave network is useful only locally :P

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Venus hid Earth lol

Edited by raxo2222

If you fix those warnings, I will add a link to your mod

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like microwave receivers need to be automatic and more fine grained
Yes, I think this would indeed make it more usefriendly. It should be easy to implement. Sometthing like [Microwave Ratio] = Pow([WasteHeat Ratio], 3) - 0.1. That way, you it will automaticly reduce power imput when you start to overheat. Edited by FreeThinker

A few things I've noticed.

Firstly does the 2.5m (default size) Gas Core reactor really NEED 1200 units of Enriched Uranium for fuel? I have realised somewhat late in the day that this is the chief factor in their million+ price tag. I have taken to launching them half or even a 1/6 full to save money. Haven't noticed any appreciable high rate of fuel consumption (although I haven't run them for long) so I'm wondering if this rather high default amount could be reduced?

Next: Are cargo bays intended to double as radiators?

y7JVLd8.png

That glow on the bay doors is rather annoying. . . . especially as the actual radiators aren't glowing.

If it is intentional can the glow on these parts at least be disabled?

On that ship I also had some Deuterium / Tritium cryostats, the section they were launched on didn't have a reactor so I disabled the cooling as it was draining the electric power fast. Now its in orbit and docked to a section with a reactor, I thought to switch them back on and discovered I couldn't. Is this a mistake or do they just not need the cooling in space so the option doesn't appear?

Lastly the radiator automation is cool, any chance you could apply the same little trick to solar panels? In fact that would be a pretty neat stand alone mod.

Oh, and in reference to the post above. . . . MkIII as well would be lovely! :D

Edited by Bishop149

That glow on the bay doors is rather annoying. . . . especially as the actual radiators aren't glowing.

If it is intentional can the glow on these parts at least be disabled?

Well once launced there is little you could do. You might try to remove it from kspstockthermal.cfg, not sure if this will work

- - - Updated - - -

Firstly does the 2.5m (default size) Gas Core reactor really NEED 1200 units of Enriched Uranium for fuel? I have realised somewhat late in the day that this is the chief factor in their million+ price tag.

Yes, the cost of the Uranium actualy constitutes 99% of all cost. The large the amount, the longer you can use it witout degrading performance. However, you probably not going to notice any changes for a year with a full tank

Edited by FreeThinker

What about pre-launch? Don't especially mind launching that section again.

Just remove it, the effect conpaired to full size radiator is small anyway (possible even negative)

- - - Updated - - -

On that ship I also had some Deuterium / Tritium cryostats, the section they were launched on didn't have a reactor so I disabled the cooling as it was draining the electric power fast. Now its in orbit and docked to a section with a reactor, I thought to switch them back on and discovered I couldn't. Is this a mistake or do they just not need the cooling in space so the option doesn't appear?

Wel if it doesn't ask, it doesn't need it. However it should still have offered at least the option, which could be considered a minor bug

- - - Updated - - -

Lastly the radiator automation is cool, any chance you could apply the same little trick to solar panels? In fact that would be a pretty neat stand alone mod.

Possible, but I'm not sure if people will appreciate when their solar pannels starts to get a mind of their own.

- - - Updated - - -

Next: Are cargo bays intended to double as radiators? http://i.imgur.com/y7JVLd8.png

Yes they are. NASA space shuttle has also integrated radiators into the space shuttle cargo bay. However, their effect on color might be undisired. I probably will add a flag which will disable the coloring effect for these parts

BTW, nice looking vessel, great for making video/pictures

- - - Updated - - -

i know about mining only Uranium, and yes i mean converter is not working.

P.S. is any way to make mechjeb(landing with magnetic/thermal nozzle, maneuver execution with magnetic nozzle) compatible, may be change thrust level to linear not exponential?

Not sure how to implement it as thrust is a function that is linked with both the core temperature of the reactor as the static pressure of the atmosphere.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Looks like microwave network is useful only locally :P
True, at long range (Venus), a lot of power is lost. Still you can improve the amount of recieved power considerably by using large microwave recievers Edited by FreeThinker

If you fix those warnings, I will add a link to your mod

working on it - looks like I mis-entered the modulemanager variable reference thing for reading off the volume of each stock tank (that's what I get for working late:sticktongue:)

version 1.1 is now up, it should work now:

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/1080/MK2%20KSPI%20Integration

Other than fixing the fuel switch for the stock Mk2 parts (which only is dependent on KSPI being installed) I also changed the fission reactor from the Molten Salt stats to the Gas Core stats, so it should now provide convenient TWR.

- - - Updated - - -

I concur on the Solar panels - I would love that!

With regard to MkIII - for the mk2 I am dependent on a part model from here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121224-1-04-Mk2-Expansion-v1-5-Update-8-9-2015 - when he makes a similar MkIII part, I will do the same for that (He is currently just starting on making his MKIII parts)

With regard to MkIII - for the mk2 I am dependent on a part model from here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121224-1-04-Mk2-Expansion-v1-5-Update-8-9-2015 - when he makes a similar MkIII part, I will do the same for that (He is currently just starting on making his MKIII parts)

Ah ok, I didn't realise that this was all mainly in reference to the MkII expansion mod (which I have, just not the latest version, looks like quite a lots has been added!), well I'd be happy with the KSP-I Fuel switch on the stock MkIII parts, is that doable?

Not sure if my post was overlooked but I was wondering if the Attila thruster should display it's thrust values in the vab? Mine is not displaying thrust or fuel selection values and was wondering if I need to search for a mod conflict.

Yes it should, check you log and look for any exceptions.

Thanks I will check this out tonight and report back my findings. Also I was spending some time in the deadly reentry thread and it appears there is a flag that can be added to the parts to ignore deadly reentries max temperature changes. What's the best way for me to integrate these changes into kspi after I add the sections and test? I would like to assist a bit with this mod as its proving to be one of my favorites.

version 1.1 is now up, it should work now:

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/1080/MK2%20KSPI%20Integration

Other than fixing the fuel switch for the stock Mk2 parts (which only is dependent on KSPI being installed) I also changed the fission reactor from the Molten Salt stats to the Gas Core stats, so it should now provide convenient TWR.

- - - Updated - - -

I concur on the Solar panels - I would love that!

Let me notice, that Gas Core reactor suffers from buoyancy effect, that makes it less useful for spaceplanes. As FreeThinker wrote before: it was designed for orbital operations. It significantly loses thermal power under acceleration. Just so you know)

Currently, i'm using Magnetic Confinement Fusion reactor for powering Thermal Turbojet. Despite the fact that it has only 60% of thermal propulsion efficiency, it gives me better output (both thrust and dV) than Magnet Target Fusion. Maybe it's bug though.

Do you still have the DRE folder in GameData? You might have a MM patch somewhere that is changing maxtemps - those usually have NEEDS[DeadlyReentry] or something, and that foldername being present will trigger them (that happened to me at first, figured that out by happenstance).

@ABZB What else do you know about the reheating issues with DRE? I have been talking with Starwaster over at his DRE thread and he gave me some information on how to ignore the DRE temperature changes on parts. I have created this MM patch which is completely untested and probably won't work until I can get home and do some debugging. Don't use this unless you know what your doing, ill release an updated version once I can actually test it. Also Starwaster has noted that there is an addition to the leaveTemp flag that will be in the next release of Deadly Reentry and should also be included if you wish to experiment with this.

@PART

[*]:HAS[@MODULE[*FNRadiator]]:NEEDS[DeadlyRentry]

{

%leaveTemp = True

}

Edited by Trolllception

i have a problem with the relay's i cant seem to figure out how they work.

i even tried with 4 power station in stable orbits and adding a relay after but it doesnt seem to connect to the power stations

I haven't unlocked the relays in my career yet but I think you need a transmitter which needs to be pointed in the direction of the other vessel which is equipped with a receiver also pointed at the transmitter. Scott Manley covers this a bit in his interstellar quest series around episode 25 or so.

To start a relay network power ground base, it should have a working Reactor + Radiator + Electric generator + Crew/Control + Transmitter which is activate for transmission. On the receiving craft you need at least Crew/Control + Radiators + Thermal/Electrical Receiver which is at line of sight (or very close) to the transmitter. The receiver has to be aimed within an angle op 90 Degree (dish receiver) or 270% (sphere receiver) or side way (thermal receiver). If you receive too much power, you can adjust the amount of power you receive. The received power is negatively affected by atmosphere and distance.

Edited by FreeThinker

So I've noticed that if I stack multiple 2.5m or 3.75m alcubierre drives, I can get more speed out of them, presumably since they share the ExoticMatter resource(?) - ie, stacking 2 or 3 of the big ones is the only way to get 20c. However even stacking 3 1.25m drives I can't go faster than 0.75c - is this intentional?

I just reinstalled the game fresh and downloaded only KSPI and Tweakscale. I add a Generator, Reactor and Attila thruster and when I right click this is what I see.

Edit: I also previously attempted to check exception logs. I found some errors and removed mods until it was clean. It then lead me to uninstall the game and do a fresh reinstall in which that didn't work either. I also attempted to use previous versions of KSPI but none of them appear to have a working thrust values in the VAB for the Attila. Not sure what's going on with my game.

XL5QMbx.png

Also there is a typo in the Tweakscale section of the Attila thruster config which is unrelated to my original issue but I saw it none the less. It displayed an error from Tweakscale.

scaleFactors = 0.625 1.25, 1.875, 2.5 should be scaleFactors = 0.625, 1.25, 1.875, 2.5 note the comma

Edited by Trolllception

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.