Maneuver nodes escape trajectory from sun

I have 2 screenshots here one shows the the conic patch approximation for bodies on an escape trajectory from sun has a distance limit depending on the change of velocity. 

In the first one here you can see my burn is 800m/s and the conic patch line is ok for the distance but I dont want to get there in 35 years because I have 17000m/s of delta v :) 

https://prnt.sc/g9vc5m

In the second one I have a burn of 4500 but as you can see the conic patch line is get shorter  and shorter. I know from expirence I can get an encounter like this but its a pain in the ass. 

http://prntscr.com/g9vd4s

Any mods or solutions out there? I was thinking maybe RSS might have to deal with problems like this considering the distances of the planets but I haven't played that in a while and cant tell. 

Game version is 1.2.2 

EDIT: not sure if this is even the right place for this :)

Edited by dave1904

Hi @dave1904,

Had a little trouble figuring out what you were actually asking.  I think I may have figured it out, though, so puzzlement is relegated to a spoiler section.  Feel free to ignore the spoiler contents unless my guess below is wrong.  :wink:

Spoiler
22 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Any mods or solutions out there?

For what?  What's your actual question?  What are you trying to accomplish?

the conic patch approximation for bodies on an escape trajectory from sun has a distance limit depending on the change of velocity. 

Sorry, have no idea what you mean.  "Conic patch" refers to the approximation that software uses by modeling gravitational bodies as having a finite SoI, with a sharp transition at the SoI boundary.  If your ship is already in orbit of the Sun, then there's no "conic patch" approximation here because you're never going to transition between one SoI and another; it's just the Sun's SoI, all the way out to infinity.  And not sure what you mean "distance limit" here.  What kind of limit?

I dont want to get there in 35 years

Get where?  Some arbitrary distance from the sun?  There's no "there", there, because the sun's SoI is infinite.

I know from expirence I can get an encounter like this

An encounter like what?  With what?  As far as I can tell from the screenshot, you're not trying to get an encounter with anything, just heading off into deep space.

I can see that you've got Plock targeted.  Is that what you're trying to do here?

In other words, is the following an accurate statement of your problem?

"I'm currently in the inner solar system.  I want to get an encounter with Plock, and I want it to be on a much-higher-than-solar-escape-velocity trajectory, since I have plenty of dV.  But when I try to do this, KSP has a bug in which it doesn't draw the projected trajectory far enough to see whether I have an encounter or not, so it's hard to set up my burn."

Is that it?

If so, yeah, that's an annoying bug.  There's a really simple workaround.  Make your high-speed burn node (as shown in your second screenshot), and then place a second (dummy) maneuver node on your projected trajectory.  Having done that, just grab that second maneuver node and slide it along the trajectory, out towards Plock.  As you slide it past the "end of the line", the line will get extended so that it reaches as far as that node.  So, just drag it out past Plock, and then you'll have a projected line that goes out as far as you need, and you can then tinker with your "real" node down in the inner solar system in order to set up your encounter.

1 minute ago, Snark said:

Hi @dave1904,

Had a little trouble figuring out what you were actually asking.  I think I may have figured it out, though, so puzzlement is relegated to a spoiler section.  Feel free to ignore the spoiler contents unless my guess below is wrong.  :wink:

Hide contents

For what?  What's your actual question?  What are you trying to accomplish?

Sorry, have no idea what you mean.  "Conic patch" refers to the approximation that software uses by modeling gravitational bodies as having a finite SoI, with a sharp transition at the SoI boundary.  If your ship is already in orbit of the Sun, then there's no "conic patch" approximation here because you're never going to transition between one SoI and another; it's just the Sun's SoI, all the way out to infinity.  And not sure what you mean "distance limit" here.  What kind of limit?

Get where?  Some arbitrary distance from the sun?  There's no "there", there, because the sun's SoI is infinite.

An encounter like what?  With what?  As far as I can tell from the screenshot, you're not trying to get an encounter with anything, just heading off into deep space.

I can see that you've got Plock targeted.  Is that what you're trying to do here?

In other words, the following a statement of your problem?

"I'm currently in the inner solar system.  I want to get an encounter with Plock, and I want it to be on a much-higher-than-solar-escape-velocity trajectory, since I have plenty of dV.  But when I try to do this, KSP has a bug in which it doesn't draw the projected trajectory far enough to see whether I have an encounter or not, so it's hard to set up my burn."

Is that it?

If so, yeah, that's an annoying bug.  There's a really simple workaround.  Make your high-speed burn node (as shown in your second screenshot), and then place a second (dummy) maneuver node on your projected trajectory.  Having done that, just grab that second maneuver node and slide it along the trajectory, out towards Plock.  As you slide it past the "end of the line", the line will get drawn as far as you like.  So, just drag it out past Plock, and then you'll have a projected line that goes out as far as you need, and you can then tinker with your "real" node down in the inner solar system.

Nvm I found a solution to the issue but it requires a galactic core mod but the calculations over those distances make it very unstable and the projected encounter is no better.  You know exactly what I mean and Im using the workaround

that you mentioned already but it is a pain in the ass.

the screenshots were made to show how the projected trajectory gets shorter the higher the eccentricity. They were not precisely planed yet :)  Im bad at explaining excrements so sorry :)   

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.