Why does my jet make these interesting airstream effects? [solved]

TonyH01za

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my jet makes these circular air stream effects when flying. None of the other jets Iv'e made do it. Tried searching the web but cant find pics of other ksp jets doing it. Is it because its so cool! and fast? Or is there something weird about the design? Here's some screenshots.

feKYrzP.jpg

EmBX2dy.jpg

do5hDK3.jpg

8 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Wow... would make a nice sonic boom sort of effect! 

Hehe ... thought that too but there was no sound effect while flying... it was going about 350 mps when the the pics were taken. What is that, mach 2 or something? It also builds up slowly, from about 200 mps I think.

I have a feeling its something to do with the wings ...

Edited by TonyH01za
extra info

10 minutes ago, TonyH01za said:

Hehe ... thought that too but there was no sound effect while flying... it was going about 350 mps when the the pics were taken. What is that, mach 2 or something? It also builds up slowly, from about 200 mps I think.

I have a feeling its something to do with the wings ...

Nah... 350m/s is just a bit over Mach 1 (I think 320-330 is Mach 1 in stock aero, may be a bit different if you're using FAR).  You'll sometimes see this effect (or similar) on real-world aircraft as they're breaking the sound barrier.

13 minutes ago, MaxxQ said:

Nah... 350m/s is just a bit over Mach 1 (I think 320-330 is Mach 1 in stock aero, may be a bit different if you're using FAR).  You'll sometimes see this effect (or similar) on real-world aircraft as they're breaking the sound barrier.

Oh ok. Not using FAR. Cant really see it properly in the pics but the weird thing is that the large circles are perpendicular to the small circles created around the midsection. 

Edited by TonyH01za

10 minutes ago, Alshain said:

It almost looks like a real mach cone.  You sure you don't have a mod adding that?

Fairly sure. Got EVE and scatterer. Dont know what else could add it. Can give a list of my mods if you want.

Edited by TonyH01za

These are all the mods I use.

- Chatterer
- CommunityCategoryKit
- CommunityResourcePack
- DistantObject
- EasyVesselSwitch
- EvironmentalVisualEnhancements
- KAS
- KerbalEngineer
- KIS
- Kopernicus
- LightsOut 
- MagicSmokeIndustries (infernal robotics)
- ModularFlightIntegrator
- PlanetaryBaseInc 
- Scatterer
- Squad
- StockVisualEnhancements
-TextureReplacer (for diverse kerbal heads only)
- TriggerTech (alarm clock)
- TweakScale

Btw I used tweakscale with this jet but only with the landing gear, as Im in career mode and havent unlocked the large landing gear yet.

2 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

That's a nifty design.  I like that.  Can't answer your question though.....

Thanks!

Bleh :D I keep merging replies when I want to make new posts.

Edited by TonyH01za

2 minutes ago, LordKael said:

If i had to guess, it almost looks like you have something clipped funny, and the game is creating an aero effect that is super flat, instead of following the shape of the vehicle like they normally do

Aha! Yes, that sounds right! The two large tubes at the back (before the small tanks and engines) are ... nazelles (I think there called) for taking in air and are supposed to be attached radially, I think, or under the wings. Or maybe something else clipping, like you say. I'll check.

7 minutes ago, SchwinnTropius said:

I've seen similar effects on ascent to and reentry from space. It's new to 1.3 from what I can tell. That's all I know.

That could be true as well. Hmmm ... 

5 minutes ago, TonyH01za said:

Aha! Yes, that sounds right! The two large tubes at the back (before the small tanks and engines) are ... nazelles (I think there called) for taking in air and are supposed to be attached radially, I think, or under the wings. Or maybe something else clipping, like you say. I'll check.

Looking at the picture its where the landing gear are :wink:

24 minutes ago, MeCripp said:

Looking at the picture its where the landing gear are :wink:

:D Lol I went into the game and tried removing things. Put smaller landing gear on the bottom, replaced the nacelles at the back with tanks (tried that before I think). Nothing changed. Then, as an afterthought I removed the little struts that I put between certain segments of the wings (can see them in the first picture, on the edges) and ... no more "mach cone" circle effect! 

I put them there cause I was worried that the segments weren't properly connected and would wobble like they've done on some of my other planes.  And I assumed they were physics-less. 

3 minutes ago, TonyH01za said:

:D Lol I went into the game and tried removing things. Put smaller landing gear on the bottom, replaced the nacelles at the back with tanks (tried that before I think). Nothing changed. Then, as an afterthought I removed the little struts that I put between certain segments of the wings (can see them in the first picture, on the edges) and ... no more "mach cone" circle effect! 

I put them there cause I was worried that the segments weren't properly connected and would wobble like they've done on some of my other planes.  And I assumed they were physics-less. 

Yeah, I've heard its from struts or something like that. Kinda cool, but also kinda hope it gets fixed in 1.3.1

Guess I can mark this a solved. Thanks for your input everyone 

13 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Yeah, I've heard its from struts or something like that. Kinda cool, but also kinda hope it gets fixed in 1.3.1

It is kinda cool. maybe more struts would make a more solid looking air cone. Though it is a bit weird and "messy" (doesnt look quite symetrical from all angles when I'm playing) so I agree it should probably be fixed

Edited by TonyH01za

2 minutes ago, TonyH01za said:

Guess I can mark this a solved. Thanks for your input everyone 

It is kinda cool. maybe more struts would make a more solid looking air cone.

Either that, or make the cone too big....

I know it usually it doesnt matter it there is a large base segment and the rest are attached to it but with some of my other attempts at making planes, they had longer/larger wings and had serious wobbling segment issues which I also used struts to try and solve.

Edited by TonyH01za

Just now, TonyH01za said:

I know it usually it doesnt matter it there is a large base segment and the rest are attached to it but with some of my other attempts at making planes had longer/larger wings and had serious wobbling segment issues which I also used struts to try and solve.

Autostrut?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.