Outer Planets Mod Challenge

DAL59

This is similar to the Jool 5 Challenge, but for OPM.

You may not use mining.  You can assemble/refuel in LKO.  You can refuel your craft in LKO from an asteroid, Mun, or Minimus, if you want, however.   The whole craft must travel to the destination together. 

Type 1:

Sarnus 5 Challenge

Start with 200 points.

Land on Tekto, Slate, Ovok, Hale, and Eeloo.

Type 2: 

Urlum 4 Challenge

Start with 150 points.

Land on Priax, Wal, Tal, and Polta

Type 3:

Neidon/Plock Challenge

Start With 300 points.

Land on Nissee, Thatmo, Plock, and Karen.  If you are doing this type in RSS, you'll need RSS extended.

Rules:

No tweakscale.  No non-stock engines.  

Minus one point for every three parts(reusable launchers will help you).  

Do it in science mode, and cheat yourself enough science to unlock all the nodes.  This way, you can know how much science you earned.  +1 point for every 20 science.  No labs.  

Bonuses: 

Use any life support mod: X2

Use any autopilot: /2

Do an unmanned mission: /4

Bring a rover: 10 points per rover.  You can reuse rovers, but you can't count multiple rovers per planet.

Use a plane on Tekto: +50.

Use a plane on Thatmo: +100

Fly a plane/blimp in the lower atmosphere of a gas giant: +100.

Kill a kerbal:-100 per kerbal

Couldn't climb down to surface: -10 per failure to plant a flag

Assembled using space planes: X2

Refueled via Mun/Minimus/Asteroid: X2

Used RO: X2

Used RSS or rescaled kerbin: X2

Kept the kerbals without adequate habitation volume on the mothership: /4

Impress me: X4

Good luck!

Example: I didn't really launched a Neidon- Plock mission.  I used RSS, so I had to land on Triton, Neried, Pluto, and Charon.  I kept the kerbals in the 3 person pod the entire trip.  I launched a blimp to Neptune.  The ladder wouldn't deploy on triton.  I used Mecjeb.  Score: 390*2/4 is 195 points.

Leader board

1. @JacobJHC -1037.5

Edited by DAL59

Wait I have a question so do I subtract 3 points for every part that isn't recovered? For example if I bring the entire Thatmo lander to the space center do I need to subtract the points for it's cost? Also if I hit all the moons of all 4 planets do the points stack?

Edited by JacobJHC

Just now, DAL59 said:

Are you going to assemble in orbit or launch all at once?

Probably all at once, reusing a launch vehicle would require other vessels to load the payload and that would add quite a few parts. Oh yeah is it ok if I delete Eeloo's config file so it is orbiting the sun and not Sarnus? It would make the challenge more difficult for me. I might go for a stock grand tour with the same launch and I would need Eeloo be to in it's original position.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one more question, so I have built the ship and it should be able to get to Sarnus, Urlum, and Niedon's moons, as well as Plock and Charon. However the rest of the ship is going to go to every other planet except the outer planets. For scoring reasons, do I only count the parts in the launcher and the parts used in the vessels that are going to be involved with the outer planets portion?

• 11 months later...
On 9/22/2017 at 1:54 PM, JacobJHC said:

I have one more question, so I have built the ship and it should be able to get to Sarnus, Urlum, and Niedon's moons, as well as Plock and Charon. However the rest of the ship is going to go to every other planet except the outer planets. For scoring reasons, do I only count the parts in the launcher and the parts used in the vessels that are going to be involved with the outer planets portion?

Any progress?

11 hours ago, DAL59 said:

Any progress?

I actually just finished a mission to all the OPM worlds in one launch, the issue is that the amount of parts it had would absolutely take it to the negatives. If you gave me the x4 for impressiveness, I would have a score of -16,600.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.