#BringBackTheBarn

18 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Maybe if the renderings had been teased at a finer level of development everyone would have loved it

Do you seriously believe SQUAD would have put any further work into this concept than shown? The moment SQUAD realized that the most prevailing opinion was "it needs a lot of work", the idea was dropped faster than you can say "shmelta vee".

I think the Barn and related scenery would be fine if the game had a Level 0 (just getting started) and the most you could do is sounding rockets and science experiments that the sounding rockets used.

I wouldn't have minded if they put it in as an optional level 0, with a general setting that lets us decide individually whether we start games at level 0 facilities or level 1. That way the love-barn camp gets their barn, and the hate-barn camp never has to see it. Since the haters seem to be the most reactive about the whole thing, it can default to level 1; it's easy enough to enable it once at the start of a new game for those who like the addition.

Icing on the cake, but not in any way required, would be to slightly adapt the upgrade/level progression with the choice of level 0 start, so the upgrade steps are a bit more equalized. But as far as I'm concerned that'd be a different thing altogether, which if they'd ever consider looking at, should be taken up in a coordinated improvement effort for career/progression.

Alternatively: add some API hooks and let the whole thing be moddable... add the assets so they are mod-accessible even if they're not used in the stock game (or release them as a pack for modding), and let modders do the rest. End result will still be that whomever wants the barn can get it, and those that don't do not have to.

And let that (either one) be the end of this eternal debate.

@swjr-swis So there are actual barn haters huh? Shack people?

Or are these the city people? .... :confused:
Or the I'm going to debunk all the cute and innocent things people?

Lame thing to actually hate. Don't get me wrong. I know the word "hate" herein is a bit of a amplification of actuality. 
But to seriously hate it. Atleast one can be neutral to it if it bores them.

If  this doesn't get through, maybe for a mod...?

I learned of the barn some time ago, and while I love the 1950s cropduster aesthetic, I also think the whole bringbackthebarn business was just a storm in a teacup. The released aesthetic was simple, but clean and straightforward, and I find it really hard to envision downgrading the facilities fo the point where they are made up of trailer parks and a big red barn. Even the tracking station is just a hobbyists telescope-observatory in barnland, not a satellite dish to be seen. And what, KSC getting rid of renewable wind turbine generators is somehow an upgrade?

I think the barn belongs to a pre-KSC era of kerbal development, somewhere after fixed wing flight but before the MK1 Command Pod. I'd love to see these assets turn up in a meaningful way somewhere, somehow, but I do think the Barn KSC concept is dead, and rightfully so.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.