[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

A gas giant has a gaseous layer, a very deep liquid one, and finally a solid core, you could theoretically land on the solid core, if you don't account for the immense pressures. . .

You mean 'if you do account for the pressures'? If you don't your rocket will explode very, very quickly.

It couldn't be chlorine or phosphorus - even if they some strange way appear on hi-atmosphere in quantity sufficient to make planet green, it will fall off to the gas giant core leaving lighter gases on top (so it couldn't be green in any case) - it's easy :P.

Edited by karolus10

you can double check me on this, but, according to what I've seen, a gas giant such as Jupiter or Saturn (and presumably what we will find out there in KSP) would have an atmosphere of gas which would increase in pressure as you go further into it, but compress any gas enough and it becomes liquid and then solid. So, essentially, you could have some sort of ocean (non-water based) at lower altitudes. At that point you could, in theory, have a hybrid spacecraft/submarine (cue engineering nerd gasp) and both fly and swim in a single mission. For more on this, see Ben Bova's Jupiter and Leviathans of Jupiter.

I'd love to see a mod with a balloon that would function similar to a parachute. A balloon would allow you to "land" (i.e. shut off your engines and float indefinitely) in the atmosphere of a gas giant, wouldn't it?

A submarine type object wouldn't need a liquid to function as a submarine in the atmosphere of a gas giant - for aerodynamic (or more generally fluid dynamic) performance liquid and gas are essentially the same type of thing; a fluid. What matters more is the density and viscosity of the atmosphere. I'd imagine due to the very high gravity of the gas giant the pressures, and hence densities would get rather high rather quickly. This means that you'd have plenty of buoyancy (like a submarine) and wouldn't need very big wings. We don't really have that range of situations on earth as we only really have two substances we design stuff for (air & water). In the upper atmosphere you'd want to look like a super-sonic jet, as you descend you want to get more like a jet liner, then a glider, but I'm not really sure what the transition between glider and submarine would look like. Interesting...

What is the status o the Planets?????

nearly ready or ready or it takes a week/two weeks

Moderator Comment: Don't Ask. There was a time (not all that long ago) when the forum would collapse under the weight of people asking "when", and we now have a rule prohibiting "when" posts and threads.

Rules Addendum: 16MAY2012 "Release Date"

Creating posts or threads that contain nothing but 'When is the next release coming?' is prohibited.

Edited by softweir
Spelling.

It couldn't be chlorine or phosphorus - even if they some strange way appear on hi-atmosphere in quantity sufficient to make planet green, it will fall off to the gas giant core leaving lighter gases on top (so it couldn't be green in any case) - it's easy :P.

What if the atmosphere was comprised almost entirely of chlorine, phosphorus and heavier gases? That would leave the planet green, right?

No... Gas giant are ~90% hydrogen and helium, but if we even hypothetically assume that we get mostly from phosphorus and chlorine the answer is still NO.

First, phosphorus is an solid element, so it could fall down to core and if we get only phosphorus it wont be gas planet, besides phosphorus aren't green.

Are 4 types of phosphorus: White,Red,Purple and Black).

Second: Planet mostly made of chlorine will be YELLOW, with little greenish tint... but it will be mostly yellow (like road workers visibility vests).

490px-Chlorine_liquid_in_an_ampoule.jpg

EDIT1: Abundance of the chemical elements

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abundance_of_the_chemical_elements

800px-ElementsAbundance.svg.png
Edited by karolus10

For the arguement about the Color of the Gas Giant, what if it's Krypton, which when applied with an electric current, glows greenish?

We could imagine the giant thunderstorms on the Giant, so it would be plausible for it to be made of Krypton.

BTW: This is on topic, it's about the gas giants in the update.

No... Gas giant are ~90% hydrogen and helium, but if we even hypothetically assume that we get mostly from phosphorus and chlorine the answer is still NO.

First, phosphorus is an solid element so it could fall down to core and if we get only phosphorus it wont be gas planet.

Yes, gas giants are 90% H/He In 1st 2nd and 3rd generation solar systems (Sol being 3rd gen). But it would be possible to have gas giants made of heavier elements such as chlorine or phosphorus in younger generation solar systems.

A 1st gen system for example wouldnt even have rocky/metalic planets, but after cycling through star formation until the 3rd generation, metal is abundant.

Given enough generations of stars, chlorine could become more abundant than hydrogen. :)

And why couldn't a planet of phosphorus be gaseous? It is a nonmetal and assuming there was enough phosphorus in one place to form the majority of a planet, if it was close enough to the sun I don't see why it couldn't be gas, unless the amount of phosphorus required to be the size of planet would already create too much pressure to remain in a gaseous state... Hmm

Edited by karolus10

This in a game where the home planet of the little green men has to be made of neutronium, or be empty with a black hole in the middle, and we have a moon of said planet (in the habitable zone) that has frozen methane lakes (according to Harv).

Just invent a funny explanation already :D

So propane? Not sure I trust a gas giant made out of propane. Rocket engines could, according to my understanding of chemistry, blow up the atmosphere of the entire planet.

How? If it's made of propane then You'd have to first get the oxygen to it to have an explosion. We don't usually think of oxygen being explosive and propane we do. But in propane atmosphere it's the oxygen that's the flammable, explosive gas. A propane atmosphere is no more dangerous than oxygen atmosphere. Together... well that's when the fun begins!

So propane? Not sure I trust a gas giant made out of propane. Rocket engines could, according to my understanding of chemistry, blow up the atmosphere of the entire planet.

[Removed reaction image.]

"Section 3: Spam: A user shall not: Post reaction images alone."

Edited by Ted
Reaction image.