[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

What's the mod with the crew tanks, can't find it anywhere.

Here's the crewtank mod thread. A must have for any long trip or permanent base.

One of Nova's pic hinted that a similar module might be one of the new parts, but it's only speculation at this point.

Okay, Celestia add-on download link here

LINK

And here's a picture of my new Duna texture. Should point out that this is NOT OFFICIAL IN ANY WAY. Just in case. And yes, I realise about half the bodies in the system have a rotation period of 15 minutes. Not sure how to change it.

(warning: large image)

LdICV.png

Okay, Celestia add-on download link here

LINK

And here's a picture of my new Duna texture. Should point out that this is NOT OFFICIAL IN ANY WAY. Just in case. And yes, I realise about half the bodies in the system have a rotation period of 15 minutes. Not sure how to change it.

(warning: large image)

LdICV.png

That actually looks really nice, well done.

Thanks everyone. If there are any problems or bugs, please let me know. It's not perfect by any means, a lot of the values such as the SMA of moons and planets and the radii of some planets are just guesses but I think that everything that we know about the system is in there. Can anyone confirm that Moho is tidally locked to Kerbin? I think it is but I'm not sure.

By that logic they would have to provide us with stock parts for landing on Jool too then. Some people have actually announced plans to mod parts for landing on the surface of Kerbol which I doubt will ever be stockable. I would expect to be able to land on the dark side of Moho, but only if the devs have implemented the ability to vary atmospheric temperature by longitude.

Sure, solid, high density, solid state, and fully impervious to crushing pressure pods that can be dropped through the atmosphere to the liquid "surface," i.e. something not at all far from resembling a large bowling ball.

It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to make unexplorable worlds for a game, unless there is a way to at least partially explore them, and to make a gas giant impossible to explore is one thing, but to make a solid rocky planet unexplorable is quite another thing entirely.

Besides, a cooling part is not at all unreasonable. It would simply be another consumable such as fuel or future life support systems that would be rather easy to implement. It's just a matter of smoke and lights really, to paraphrase c7.

This game seems like it's trying to stay scientifically accurate, (or at the very least, hard sci fi.) The only cooling units we know work in space are radiators (think big extending wrinkly panels that disperse heat as infrared radiation) or a ridiculous space AC that literally has to vent hot air into space, which would run out of 'fuel' very quickly. (On that note, radiators could be used for controlling engine overheating, especially when closer to Kerbol; sorry if I'm going a bit off topic here with the suggestion.) But in any case, cooling systems will probably (correct me if I'm wrong devs) be in the form of radiators, if they're implemented at all.

Anyhow, I'll have fun diving into Jool to see how far I can go in and still come out.

Actually, refrigerant lasers are a hard science fiction option, and heat sinks are real-world options that would take major tech improvements to be good enough. in both cases, you use heat transfer systems to make a part of your ship hotter than the exterior, and use that part to dump heat outside. Efficient heat transfer to a thermally-isolated part is the key.

* Added a button on the Tracking Station to terminate an ongong flight (prompts for confirmation).

I was re-reading the update post and I was thinking, will we have some kind of scrolling tool in the Tracking Station? Because is kinda getting difficult to chose when you have lots of spaceship/probe/plane/spaceplane going on at the same time.

* Added a button on the Tracking Station to terminate an ongong flight (prompts for confirmation).

I was re-reading the update post and I was thinking, will we have some kind of scrolling tool in the Tracking Station? Because is kinda getting difficult to chose when you have lots of spaceship/probe/plane/spaceplane going on at the same time.

A scroll bar was added in 0.16. Funny, so many people request features already in the game.

That feature is already present in 0.16.

Actually, refrigerant lasers are a hard science fiction option, and heat sinks are real-world options that would take major tech improvements to be good enough. in both cases, you use heat transfer systems to make a part of your ship hotter than the exterior, and use that part to dump heat outside. Efficient heat transfer to a thermally-isolated part is the key.

Tanks of liquid Nitrogen or Helium would work just fine for maintaining low enough temperatures for at least a while. All I'm really talking about is the need to cool the ship for attempted landings on Moho.

Tanks of liquid Nitrogen or Helium would work just fine for maintaining low enough temperatures for at least a while. All I'm really talking about is the need to cool the ship for attempted landings on Moho.

Moho is tidally locked to Kerbol. One side is always quite cool.

Not gonna happen. It's probably the buggiest thing in the game right now (and that's saying something :P)

Surely it will kind of be possible to stick yourself anywhere you like using the Scenario stuff, though, right?

Also, on a separate note, I'm really looking forward to getting 0.17 and learning how to use Gravity Assist. That stuff is so cool...

Just look at how cool it is.

Edited by LukeTim

Problem with gravity assists is they're a bugger to work out for the layman. We need flight/mission planning before we can do it properly.

I'd say it's rather like celestial pool. Duna ball, corner pocket!

I would consider myself the "layman" and I'm able to figure out elementary gravity assists to slingshot out of Kerbin SOI using one or both moons (saves a lot of fuel if you're lined up right). I guess it helps to be able to visualize the future orbits before you start your burn.

Problem with gravity assists is they're a bugger to work out for the layman. We need flight/mission planning before we can do it properly.

I've actually found that it's not too hard to do them in the Mun-Minmus system, as long as you're not terribly picky about where you go or when. The longer times involved with interplanetary flight would make this method tedious, though.

There are a few tricks that should be fairly easy to eyeball, though. For instance resonant encounters (where you hit the same planet multiple times in a row, ala the vidoes that LukeTim posted) should be fairly straight forward. Just eject into an orbit who's period is a nice multiple of the planets--2x, 1.5x, 2/3x, etc--coast out the the opposite apsis, and adjust your orbit to make sure you're at another nice multiple for the next time around.

Edited by silent_prtoagonist

Thats Scott Manleys idea

it was no ones idea... if anything im laying claim to it right now seeing as I havent seen anyone else do this yet on youtube... apart from me in my latest systems test video :D

(this is all in jest btw dont have a heart attack, the first people to suggest it was the apollo guys)

Edited by Pleborian