Jool is big

rudi1291

A few days ago i had this excellent idea... to do a Jool-5 mission. Again. But this time a bit different. On a larger scale. Maybe 6.4x times larger? Why not?

So here it is, my attempt to do a Jool-5 in a slightly bigger system. No ISRU, only stock parts. Let´s see what happens.

These are the delta-V requirements:

Sj0BJdh.jpg?1

(https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/87284-kscale64-v122-16th-april-2017/)

Not sure if its is a good idea to post this before i even started the mission. Updates will be added to this post as the mission progresses!

Update 1:

I now (finally) have designs for all the landers, transfer stages and all that stuff, and i hope they work. Took me quite some time to do. The hardest one was probably the Tylo lander: Not only does it require a lot of deltaV (13,000 m/s bare minimum, 6,500 per trip), it also needs that deltaV in engines capable of landing in Tylo´s high gravity! So no nuclear propulsion or ion engines for this one. My current design is about 110 tons and the fourth design iteration. The first design was something like a thousand tons, so i´d call that good.

The next heavy (but not quite as heavy) lander is the Laythe one. Its about 20 tons and has somewhere between 6,500 and 7,000 m/s of deltaV, just enough to get to Laythe orbit. The map says 7,600, i guess it means 6,600. The plan for landing is to splashdown under parachutes, and for aerodynamic stability during reentry i found the best solution to be putting it in a fairing.

The other landers are just small. The lander for Vall is about 3 tons, the landers for Bop and Pol are half a ton each (and still have way to much deltaV, even for a 6.4x Bop or Pol). All the landers (including the ones for Tylo and Laythe) are Command Seat landers, so they have actually a bit less deltaV, if a kerbal is in there.

https://imgur.com/a/JoFkO (Imgur embedding broken? I don´t know)

Update 2:

The ship is now in orbit (around Kerbin)! Just took about a dozen+1 launches. 4 for the actual ship, 8 to fill it up and one for the crew. Expect some big rockets :)

https://imgur.com/a/Mn7V2 (Unordered, because imgur mixed them and removed the feature to order by name. Does anyone know a better host than imgur? Not going to reorder the album by hand)

Edited by rudi1291

• 2 weeks later...

Took me longer than expected, but the preperations (designs) are mostly done.

On 10.10.2017 at 2:34 PM, Geschosskopf said:

That should make for a staggeringly big mothership :) 

My (current) goal is to get it under a thousand tons, not that big (i´ve seen stock entries bigger than that. Mine probably was). One of my earlier designs for this mission had a 3,600 ton mothership. It was eaten by the Kraken, so....

Edited by rudi1291

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.