[1.3.1] Aviation Lights v3.14 [use MOARdV's version instead!]

BigNose

The update is fully backwards compatible, there will be no problems in this regard.

Just one problem -- the lights now slightly hover above the surface of the craft they were previously firmly attached to. However, this isn't just a problem for old craft -- newly placed lights also hover... more noticeably when placed on flat surfaces (against curved ones, radially placed items tend to "sink in" a bit, due to physics shapes being a bit simpler than visual models).

Just one problem -- the lights now slightly hover above the surface of the craft they were previously firmly attached to. However, this isn't just a problem for old craft -- newly placed lights also hover... more noticeably when placed on flat surfaces (against curved ones, radially placed items tend to "sink in" a bit, due to physics shapes being a bit simpler than visual models).

Hmm, the problem with that is, it depends on which part you place them. If I make them attach too close, it may looks good on some parts, but on other ones they sink completly into the surface. As you said: The real collision modell of some parts is much simpler.

I'll look into finding a better value for the node, but the biggest problem is, that especially wingtips tend to have a badly shaped collision modell, so the lights sink in quite a bit. Try the B9 Wingtips or the 2m Command pod for example. It's easy to hide them completely in the mesh.

EDIT: Ok, I tested some more and come to the conclusion that it makes no difference to move the EVER SO SLIGHTLY closer to the surface they are attached to, so they touch exactly to one pixel. I'll reupload without changing the version number, and post when it's done.

Edited by BigNose

Do you have any plans for other mods? Love what you have now. But maybe flood lights, headlights,taillights, would be great for our rovers and things.

Taillights are already viable, put the red strobe light on the back, action grouped for toggle on brakes. Have a second set back there set to turn on when you turn on lights (make sure the ones keyed to brakes aren't keyed to lights). B9 has some epic floodlights, if that's all you want, trash the rest of the parts and keep those.

Taillights are already viable, put the red strobe light on the back, action grouped for toggle on brakes. Have a second set back there set to turn on when you turn on lights (make sure the ones keyed to brakes aren't keyed to lights). B9 has some epic floodlights, if that's all you want, trash the rest of the parts and keep those.

I do that now all the time, but im talking a set made for tail lights, Im just throwing ideas around. i know B9 has flood lights, i use them all the time. :) But Bignose specialty is lights, so maybe he can give us something better.

Edited by viperwolf

I do that now all the time, but im talking a set made for tail lights, Im just throwing ideas around. i know B9 has flood lights, i use them all the time. :) But Bignose specialty is lights, so maybe he can give us something better.

Woah, thanks for putting that much trust into me, but I don't think I will be able to make better lights than the mighty bac9. Actually I can't imagine what a floodlight better than the one from the B9 Pack should look like, there are already awesome! :D

Woah, thanks for putting that much trust into me, but I don't think I will be able to make better lights than the mighty bac9. Actually I can't imagine what a floodlight better than the one from the B9 Pack should look like, there are already awesome! :D

ok the flood lights may have been a bad example lol, i seem to be getting hammered for that one. but you did such a great job with the lights i was trying to think of a future project.

How about emergency vehicle bar lights?

This mod is for lights which are intended for aviation.

At the moment, I'm fine tuning a Double Flash mode for the lights, which I've actually managed to implement fairly well in the time the forums were down. It will be based of the Flash Interval timer, so changing the variable in the config changes both the single and souble flash modes.

What IS the amber light for anyway? It is just one of those things that well... It does not seem to fit in with the rest. All the others are plain colors, while amber is a combination (between red and yellow?) unlike the rest of the lights.

With exception for the amber light. :wink:
What IS the amber light for anyway? It is just one of those things that well... It does not seem to fit in with the rest. All the others are plain colors, while amber is a combination (between red and yellow?) unlike the rest of the lights.

Well, the amber light was implemented because of this:

Wikipedia Article about Navigation Lights, spacecraft section

In 2011, ORBITEC developed the first Light-emitting diode (LED) lighting system for use about spacecraft. Currently Cygnus spacecraft, which are unmanned transport vessels designed for cargo transport to the International Space Station, utilize a navigational lighting system consisting of five flashing high power LED lights.[5] The Cygnus displays a flashing red light on the port side of the vessel, a flashing green on the starboard side of the vessel, two flashing white lights on the top and one flashing yellow on the bottom side of the fuselage.

Also, you can make REILs or RELs with them.

Well, the amber light was implemented because of this:

Wikipedia Article about Navigation Lights, spacecraft section

Aww. I thought it was because some piece of chewey meat asked for them and DeadWeasel had already done it. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/16925-0-21-1-Aviation-Lights-v3-4-%2817SEP13%29?p=417589&viewfull=1#post417589 :cool:

Aww. I thought it was because some piece of chewey meat asked for them and DeadWeasel had already done it. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/16925-0-21-1-Aviation-Lights-v3-4-%2817SEP13%29?p=417589&viewfull=1#post417589 :cool:

That of course played into it as well, popular request for a yellow light definitly existed for some time now. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I love the new Amber light. I can't wait until this is package is updated for KSP 0.22

It works just fine in the sandbox. All that's needed are some config file edits to get them into the tech tree.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

It works just fine in the sandbox. All that's needed are some config file edits to get them into the tech tree.

Indeed, I will update the Aviation Lights with a new Double Flash mode and integrate them into the techtree shortly.

Await the new version in a couple of hours or sometime tomorrow.

Or in 20 minutes ;D

Edited by BigNose

V3.5 Released

This update integrates the Aviation Lights into the tech tree and implements a quite hacky version of the long awaited Double Flash mode (but it works!).

CHANGELOG

Added

- Implemented a DOUBLE FLASH mode

- Tech tree integration

DOWNLOAD

Get it on Kerbal SpacePort or Mediafire!

As always, this update is fully backwards compatible! Existing crafts will be updated automatically without getting deleted.

Tip: The timer of the DOUBLE FLASH mode is dependent on the FLASH interval.

Edited by BigNose

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.