Add a Saturn Analog

Opinion  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Add Saturn

It would be interesting to set a hard sci-fi novel in the rings of Saturn.

Suppose it was discovered that the magnetic field of Saturn produces deadly radiation (like the Van Allen Belts, but thousands of times more powerful) all around the planet, except where the water content of the rings essentially deflects it. However, the moonlets scattered within the rings are the purest source of water in the solar system and are regularly mined for propellant. Thus, the only habitable zone for the planet would be those rings, which would have their own challenges to navigate. Ships and space stations would need to be at least vaguely sleek in order to reduce the damage from heightened micrometeoroid impacts. The rings cover a LOT of space (150% the surface area of Jupiter), enough to have whole civilizations scattered across their expanse, but ships would only need a very small amount of dV to move from destination to destination, since everything is in a coplanar orbit.

If KSP added a Saturn analogue, how about doing a hologram ring which would cause moderate heating of your spacecraft (enough that you might need to plan for some radiators), and be dotted randomly with asteroids that are 98% ore?

I think this would be a nice addition, and I think it should come with an Enceladus/Europa and Titan analogues as well (Maybe a volcanic moon like Io as well!).

It would be great to see more variety and examples of celestial bodies than the ones we currently have and I would much prefer these to be stock than a mod

A ringed planet sounds good, but I won't support adding it into the game. The stock planets are good already. Keep those extra planets in their mods.

About OPM: Please, no. They are like a copy of real solar system, scaled down, retextured, recolored and renamed. The Kerbol system deserves more freedom for its celestial bodies.

14 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

A ringed planet sounds good, but I won't support adding it into the game. The stock planets are good already. Keep those extra planets in their mods.

About OPM: Please, no. They are like a copy of real solar system, scaled down, retextured, recolored and renamed. The Kerbol system deserves more freedom for its celestial bodies.

I agree partially. Yes I like the Kerbal System being creative. I disagree because console players can not get mods and many PC Plays don't use mods. I've looked into it and ask don't know how to even install them, nor do I own a PC. I, not asking the game to revolve around console players but the Kerbal System isn't that diverse. Each planet is a solid. 1 Gas Giant. Also each planet has little variation from the mun in terrain other than a lighter shade of grey. It is really just a accomplishment to get to Eeloo their is no reason to actually go their. In real life a research base could be built on Pluto. I think we need more parts for bases too. (Tie into Kerbin Infrastructure suggestion, go see it and comment) Honestly the reason I want a ringed planet is A. We don't have one B. It creates a challenge (because of the rings) it's almost like a minigame in KSP to dodge the asteroids, this would require... creative designs. And C. I think it would add more destinations/diversity to the game to make it more interesting. I think we need a legitimate reason to go to EACH Planet. Anyone that's just my opinion, thoughts?

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎01 at 12:38 PM, Cheif Operations Director said:

I agree partially. Yes I like the Kerbal System being creative. I disagree because console players can not get mods and many PC Plays don't use mods. I've looked into it and ask don't know how to even install them, nor do I own a PC. I, not asking the game to revolve around console players but the Kerbal System isn't that diverse. Each planet is a solid. 1 Gas Giant. Also each planet has little variation from the mun in terrain other than a lighter shade of grey. It is really just a accomplishment to get to Eeloo their is no reason to actually go their. In real life a research base could be built on Pluto. I think we need more parts for bases too. (Tie into Kerbin Infrastructure suggestion, go see it and comment) Honestly the reason I want a ringed planet is A. We don't have one B. It creates a challenge (because of the rings) it's almost like a minigame in KSP to dodge the asteroids, this would require... creative designs. And C. I think it would add more destinations/diversity to the game to make it more interesting. I think we need a legitimate reason to go to EACH Planet. Anyone that's just my opinion, thoughts?

Those NovaSilisko celestial objects should be added, I guess.

Faz as a crystal-covered second moon of Eve, Harvest, a trojan dwarf planet in Kerbin L4/5, Gas Planet 2, a blue gas giant with rings and its own set of moons, and other cool planets beyond.

Edited by Hypercosmic

5 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

I'm not one to suggest adding a whole bunch of new planets or anything, but there are a few things the Kerbol system is definitely missing:

• An ice giant
  • A moon or moons in retrograde orbit
  • Rings
  • A planet with high axial tilt

One new planet could take care of all that.

Indeed

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on a console, so this sort of thing would have to be a DLC, I'd love to see a set of rings in the Kerbal system. I haven't been to many other worlds yet... Duna, Minmus, Mun, Kerban, and a mythical place called Earth.

As far as trying to make the console version track a large number of orbiting asteroids, I shudder to think of the stutter this would make my PS4 do.

As far as a creative suggestion for this Rings addition, here's my thoughts.

Jool gets 2 large pretty rings one low and one high, they are completely 2-D and cosmetic, but they do block radio and solar. For ease of CPU demand ( I honestly have no idea if this would be more/less demanding on the processor.) the radio/solar blocking occurs irrelevant of which side of the rings you are on, just being near their plane of orbit does it. Basically just a zone of exclusion that stops interfering once your not in it. Much science is locked away in the mystery of the rings.

In the gap a put a Titan style moon, a thick foggy atmosphere, in retro grade orbit, with an oddly angled polar rotation. Perhaps the polar regions stick out through the exclusion zone, but the odd angle of rotation means that radio contact and solar collectors are intermittent.

Just my thoughts on this.

I'll probably be awhile before I get to see these rings close up because the console version needs an alarm clock, and a tech tree unlock for an interplanetary transfer alert/planner.

On 1/1/2018 at 3:20 PM, Cheif Operations Director said:

I think that a Saturn like gas giant would be a neat addition. The rings should be made out of actual asteroids though they should actually pose a threat to your craft if you hit them. 

I know this is probroly a mod and a common suggestion but none the less It should be added for console players can use it too. 

Ring collision is a bad idea. Like when Cassini flew through Saturn's rings, there is a pretty small chance of impact, and having thousands of independent asteroids making up the rings would probably break the game.

Edited by Clockwork13

23 hours ago, Clockwork13 said:

Ring collision is a bad idea. Like when Cassini flew through Saturn's rings, there is a pretty small chance of impact, and having thousands of independent asteroids making up the rings would probably break the game.

Yes their was a small chance because the manure was pre planned. Now unless your using mech Jeb you are winging it. I also said the rings should be 1 single craft. Furhur a 2S animation with 3D here and their with ring collison isn't bad. 

I suspect is JPL Winged it and flee through the most dense part Cassini should have survived. 

On 17/02/2018 at 1:34 AM, Cheif Operations Director said:

Yes their was a small chance because the manure was pre planned. Now unless your using mech Jeb you are winging it. I also said the rings should be 1 single craft. Furhur a 2S animation with 3D here and their with ring collison isn't bad. 

I suspect is JPL Winged it and flee through the most dense part Cassini should have survived. 

My brain glitched at " the manure was pre planned ", but anyway, wouldn't it be simpler to implement a "Every X minutes, randomly, a part fails"?

5 hours ago, MinimalMinmus said:

My brain glitched at " the manure was pre planned ", but anyway, wouldn't it be simpler to implement a "Every X minutes, randomly, a part fails"?

I meant to say Maneuver. I'm not sure I follow but, what I was saying was that NASA pre planned their MANEUVERS :). But KSP players don't unless their using mechjeb

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.