Nuclear Waste Disposal

I made a custom part for the container, because I was bored. It's got the exact same stats, I just made a different model and texture for it.

Aczqil&8icSi

this looks legit.

Also available in my meager collection of parts

Awesome, that looks great. Definitely adds a feel of weight to the container, and a gung-ho engineering style.

I am finally a member of this prestigious club. However, no way in hell could my PC handle all the parts needed if I was to do a stock rocket. So I resorted to modded parts.

This, my dear fellow Kerbonauts, is Hermes the bringer of light (it sometimes explodes 8)). She consists of 3x3m fuel tank and omnipotent bertha in the core stage, Eight liquid boosters consisting of 2x1.75m tank each driven by a large bertha. The return stage is one small tank and one small engine.

All credit to novasilisko for his parts, and to the guy who made the wobbly rockets pack.

Note my custom hold down system at the bottom of the boosters.

vtdQd.jpg0ba7g.png

Lessons:

-I could do it with a lot less fuel if I could get the effing thing to roll over and accelerate horizontally. As it is, the nose drops like a stone and the whole thing starts doing cartwheels. I achieved escape velocity by thrusting straight up.

-I could save at least 4 tonnes by getting rid of some decouplers, there was no real reason for me to decouple the load from the core stage once it was up to speed.

-I could also shave off the amount of fuel im lifting, as I hit 2700m/s at around 500km, roughly calculated to be an escape velocity. Though once I was up there I thought I may as well go to a nice round 3000ms.

-I must have been doing something right, as bob had a shit eating grin on his face from about 50,000m onwards.

• 5 months later...

Annoyed I can\'t do this. My final stage is stuffed with RCS and SAS modules. Don\'t understand why I can\'t control it!! Any ideas?

[gmod]Please do not necro bump posts. This post is from last September.[/gmod]

More SAS modules won\'t help as they are likely fighting each other over control. Try adding a single ASAS above your main stage and a plain SAS in your last stage.

If you\'ve purchased the game and have v.14, try using the MechJeb plugin.

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

I love it! What a great challenge. Thanks for bringing this back into the light.

Although, now that it is back up, is it still just escape from Kerbin, or is it solar escape too? Or crash it into the Mun/Sun? Or Sun?

Although, now that it is back up, is it still just escape from Kerbin, or is it solar escape too? Or crash it into the Mun/Sun? Or Sun?

When this challenge was conceived, you could never go into Kerbol\'s SoI. But you also couldn\'t build truly massive rockets without framerates going into single digits. So I think it\'s appropriate to raise the stakes. :) I\'ll say a Kerbol escape orbit will be good enough, but major style points if you can crash it into the star itself.

When this challenge was conceived, you could never go into Kerbol\'s SoI. But you also couldn\'t build truly massive rockets without framerates going into single digits. So I think it\'s appropriate to raise the stakes. :) I\'ll say a Kerbol escape orbit will be good enough, but major style points if you can crash it into the star itself.

Apologies for the necro bump -- but I think this challenge is awesome, so I\'m not actually that sorry.

Does Sol actually have a radius?? I\'ve got pretty close to it before, but never managed to crash into it.

So, the challenge I\'ve set myself is to

a) allow the standard mod packs (personal opinion is that the stock parts suck -- sorry!)

B) get 3 of these to either crash into Sol or put them on a sol escape trajectory.

I\'ve got 0.14 yesterday, so I\'ll give the MechJeb plugin a try.

Can\'t wait to get home and give this a shot :)

kHurtiZ

Apologies for the necro bump -- but I think this challenge is awesome, so I\'m not actually that sorry.

Yeah, I feel like necro bumps in this forum are appropriate, because the game is constantly adding new features and changing the rules around, which makes old challenges new again. And I\'m not just saying that because this was my challenge. :P I enjoyed it when the Race to 100 km and Three Minute Challenge threads kept coming back with new versions of the game.

Oniontrain made a great model for the storage vessel, but it looks pink now because the model and/or texture format changed between versions. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Yeah, I feel like necro bumps in this forum are appropriate, because the game is constantly adding new features and changing the rules around, which makes old challenges new again. And I\'m not just saying that because this was my challenge. :P I enjoyed it when the Race to 100 km and Three Minute Challenge threads kept coming back with new versions of the game.

Oniontrain made a great model for the storage vessel, but it looks pink now because the model and/or texture format changed between versions. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Agreed on the bump for this thread in particular - the addition of Kerbol and the Mun since this challenge was first posted only adds additional depth to the challenge. Do you just try to punt it into kerbolar orbit and hope it doesn\'t come back in a few decades? Do you shoot for Solar escape? Solar impact? The latter two both require substantially more boost than just going 3km/s straight up when the challenge was first posted.

Re: the challenge - I thought I had posted the working launcher I had back in the day, but it looks like I never did. I remember trying to get a version of it to launch two at once, but it kept breaking up mid-flight.

Re: Oniontrain\'s model - the simplest method I\'ve heard is to just open the texture in MS Paint and re-save it; there\'s an issue with the bitrate used, or something. If nothing else, I can try posting a fixed texture later tonight.

A Kerbol escape orbit is proving quite difficult indeed. You need to add 3845.8 m/s to Kerbin\'s orbital velocity, plus the amount needed to escape Kerbin\'s atmosphere and SoI. That\'s a lot of delta-V to impart to a 50-tonne payload. My 100-LFT design can get an apoapsis of about 3 KAU (3x Kerbin\'s orbit).

New ship, I managed 4250 m/s at an altitude of 500 km, which eventually translated to an apoapsis of 10 KAU above Kerbol. Getting closer! A few hundred more m/s of delta-V ought to do it, and I might be able to get that if the Kraken leaves me alone in the next release of the game. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.