Version 1.0.5 (from Steam) gets stuck during loading screen

After Steam installs 1.0.5, the loading screen gets stuck while loading "Squad/Parts/Aero/fairings/fairingSize1/fairingSize1". The game doesn't crash (the flavor text continues to cycle), It's simply stuck loading forever.

I have uninstalled the game and deleted the Kerbal Space Program folder from steamapps\common before installing 1.0.5; the problem still persists every time, even with a completely fresh reinstall of 1.0.5. I have found other threads both on these forums and on the steam forums of other people with this exact issue, but I have never found a solution. Installing the current version or the other betas does not cause this issue.

I've also tried installing 1.1.3, copying the "fairings" folder, downgrading to 1.0.5, and then replacing the 1.0.5 fairings folder with the 1.1.3 folder. This works, but it gets stuck loading at a different point (one of the heat shield files).

The reason I want 1.0.5, by the way, is because the current fastest route for speedrunning "Career Mode Mun and Back" only works in 1.0.5, and about cuts the length of the run in half compared to the route I previously used. So, eh, please don't suggest updating to the current version.

EDIT: Probably should mention I'm running Windows 8.1

Edited by Ianwubby

Do people actually speedrun sandbox games? And if they do, would some old version with an exploit in it be valid?

Anyways...do you have any mods? Steam won't touch folders you've made yourself so if you installed some mods, it's likely they are still there and crashing your game due to being incompatible with that version.

Go check the Gamedata folder in your actual KSP install location, if there is anything in there besides the "Squad" folder, it's a mod.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

No, there are no mods. Removing the mod folders was the very first thing I did, even before first installing 1.0.5. And either way, the game's not crashing, it's just stuck loading forever. In some of the other threads where people have had this problem, it's been suggested that some files are either missing or corrupted in the copy of 1.0.5 that's on Steam, so that might be the issue.

I guess the easiest way to solve this is to ask: Is there any other place where old versions are available for Steam users?

• 4 weeks later...

I have some more useful info for this, and would love to see a fix- 1.0.5 is where it's at for the speedrunning early career!

Problem: Steam does not properly roll back to or make fresh installs for v 1.0.5 . Problem presents on multiple systems running Win10, no mods.

History
1. Deleted KSP folder from steamapps\common\
2. Told steam to download v 1.0.5
3. It downloads but doesn't run - because it's missing like 9/10ths of the files! There's almost no parts at all, it's quite uncanny.
4. Repeated on multiple windows systems, with the same result.

The 1.1.3 rollback works, so it's just the 1.0.5 version missing files. I ran a diff, and the files that are there seem fine.

I know the timing's tough with the DLC on its way, but if it's an easy fix I'd love some help on it. Thanks much!

Have you by any change some other folders in the steamapps/common with the same name? KSP can get stuck on that one. Most of the thime I copy paste a new install of KSP to a total different location like C:\Games\...

Edited by DrLicor

7 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

1. Deleted KSP folder from steamapps\common\
2. Told steam to download v 1.0.5
3. It downloads but doesn't run - because it's missing like 9/10ths of the files! There's almost no parts at all, it's quite uncanny.
4. Repeated on multiple windows systems, with the same result.

On Windows 8.1 x64, downloaded 1.0.5 clean, and it does start up into the main screen for me, allows to change settings etc, even allows to start new games. New career starts with fully upgraded buildings though, and in SPH/VAB no parts are shown at all, so basically nothing can be done from that point on. Game folder shows a lot of files missing. But it does load up.

The Steam 1.0.5 repository is definitely screwed up.

Running 'Verify integrity of game files', it identified 2067 (additional) files to be downloaded, and once it was done with that, surprisingly, the game couldn't finish loading anymore and got stuck at the same spot mentioned in the OP. Which is not too surprising, seeing as it seems to add files from version 1.3.1 - I gather this from the following:

• the readme.txt is now specifically from 1.3.1
  • the main folder still has the buildID.txt with build 1028 (1.0.5), but it also has a buildID64.txt with build 1891 (1.3.1)
  • there is a KSP_x64_Data folder (1.0.5 did not have official 64bit yet, if I remember correctly)
  • GameData contains KSPedia and Localization folders, which 1.0.5 didn't have

So it looks like a) the initial 1.0.5 repository is incomplete, and b) doing a 'Verify' action will add 1.3.1 files to the game folder, mixing 1.0.5 and 1.3.1 files and thereby screwing things up entirely.

Just to check, I deleted folder again, reinstalled from my own archived 1.0.5, and all runs well. So the problem is in the Steam download.

On 1/21/2018 at 3:39 AM, Ianwubby said:

The reason I want 1.0.5, by the way, is because the current fastest route for speedrunning "Career Mode Mun and Back" only works in 1.0.5, and about cuts the length of the run in half compared to the route I previously used.

7 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

1.0.5 is where it's at for the speedrunning early career!

I am curious about this one. What exactly is meant here by 'speedrunning', and why is 1.0.5 considered the best/only version to do this in?

Edited by swjr-swis
questions, verify adds 1.3.1 files

Thanks for checking it out @swjr-swis. It's good to get corroboration on the problem. I suspect the 1.0.5 steam release just got accidentally messed up at some point, and needs to be reset to its original files/settings on Squad's end. If we don't hear from anyone soon I'll bump this again after squad has had a chance to cool their heals from the DLC release.

6 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

I am curious about this one. What exactly is meant here by 'speedrunning', and why is 1.0.5 considered the best/only version to do this in?

It's for the 'Mun and Back' speedrun where you start a real world clock and see how long it takes you to land on the Mun and come home in a fresh career mode file of stock normal-difficulty KSP. Version 1.0.5 has a few advantages and disadvantages, but it works out to be ~30-50 seconds faster than other versions when you're really gunning for it.

Advantages:
1. The rockets are generally less wet noodly and easier to phys time warp.
2. Exhaust damage is high enough to blast away lower stages without using decouplers, saving a bit of science and making rockets less wiggly.

There's other real time speedruns too, but the Mun and Back run is the most popular at the moment, owing to the short and exciting run time of <5min.

Edit: YT video here

Spoiler

And leader board here.  https://www.speedrun.com/ksp#Mun_and_Back

The peloton will undoubtedly catch up and surpass this time once this v 1.0.5 route can be used by everyone, which I'm really looking forward to!

Edited by Cunjo Carl

On 2/19/2018 at 6:54 PM, Cunjo Carl said:

There's other real time speedruns too, but the Mun and Back run is the most popular at the moment, owing to the short and exciting run time of <5min.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I've done time/race challenges before in KSP, but for some reason this type of speedrun doesn't tickle my competitive trigger. Something tells me it should be possible to be quite competitive with 1.3.1 as well, but I'll take your word for it... for now. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.