*Internal* Science Transfer?

Okay, so my first station was in orbit about 85 km above Kerbin.  Kerbin Station Alpha is pretty basic -- two Hitchhikers and a cupola, with a pair of Clamp-o-tron Jr., some batteries, and solar panels to charge the batteries.

On a whim, the commander went EVA and took an EVA report, which produced some useful science (because it was "above Kerbin's shores" or some such -- in other words, I was low enough for biomes on Kerbin to matter, which is a science realm I haven't touched).  I'd love to get this science, since it'll be nearly free (just add some instruments to modules already planned for addition to this station -- barometers, thermometers, goo cannisters, etc., cheap and easy).  However, there arises an issue, and will arise another: initially, how do I get the data Lufrid generated down to Kerbin so R&D can do something with it?

The station has a high-gain antenna on one of the Hitchhiker modules, but it's not the one with the working hatch (the cupola and other Hitchhiker hatches are blocked by solar panels and docking port, respectively), and when I tried to immediately transmit the EVA report I was informed there was "no  antenna within reach" or something of the sort -- and when Lufrid had re-boarded the station core and transferred to the module with the antenna, I couldn't find the EVA report to transmit.

Longer term, once I can reliably transmit my science from Kerbin Station Alpha, have instruments, and have a scientist aboard, will that scientist be able to reset experiments from inside the station, or will he/she have to EVA (presumably within a certain distance of the experiment) to do so?

When your Kerbal is in the module near the antenna (don't think I've ever seen it say an antenna wasn't within reach before; maybe a mod?), you should be able to right-click and transmit data directly from the antenna itself, without needing to locate the experiment. The antenna should know where it is.

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

The experiment will be stored in the pod that you boarded -- you can transmit it from there. If you have a relay antenna on the station, it can also collect all the experiments on the ship into itself -- and then you can access the reports from there. A miniscience container can also collect all the experiments, of course. Any craft that's about to return to Kerbin can be used to transport the experiments down to the surface if you know where they are stored (or sometimes even if you don't).

When most science devices transmit their experimental results (or have their reports collected), they automatically reset to take a new experiment. The only ones that don't are the Mystery Goo, and ScienceJr. Those two need to be reset by a scientist on EVA, or by a Mobile Processing Lab.

7 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

when I tried to immediately transmit the EVA report I was informed there was "no  antenna within reach" or something of the sort

Right, because an EVA kerbal can't transmit science because they don't have antennas.

7 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

and when Lufrid had re-boarded the station core and transferred to the module with the antenna, I couldn't find the EVA report to transmit.

It's right where you left it, in the module that he boarded.  The science doesn't follow the kerbal around when he internally transfers from one module to another; it just stays "stickied" to the place that it got put when he entered the ship.

Just right-click on the module that he initially boarded, choose "review data", and then transmit.

Thanks, Snark.  I'll try that next time I have the game open.

BTW, Lufrid is a she -- in fact, all three of the Kerbals I've rescued recently (Samcal and Monie from opposite direction Munar orbits, as well as Lufrid in LKO) are female.  I hope that doesn't say anything about their ability (on paper, same as Val, Jeb, and Adeny, one star), as two of them (Lufrid and Samcal) have been given command of the new stations in LKO and Munar orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.