This craft was made more for fun than to be anything spectacular. The challenge behind this craft was to transport the Big Three as well as a full compliment of scientific equipment to the surface of Duna and back, all only using the Spark rocket engine. Needless to say, many of them were required, 254 to be exact! Somehow, this is not the most engines I’ve ever used on a craft. This craft has only around 6600 m/s of delta-V, so it goes without saying that the margins of error when using this craft are SLIM. This precision was required to keep the size of the craft down, since every ton that was added to its mass would require an additional 2 sparks. Beasts of this nature are not for the faint of heart or trypophobes!

LPy5qgV.jpg

MwKa5Wk.jpg

k9dEnfJ.jpg

EAXCbcs.jpg

E7d3Ytu.jpg

Download: https://kerbalx.com/Kronus_Aerospace/Duna-on-Spark

Part Count: 630

Vehicle Mass: 177.15 tonnes

-During the launch an optimal gravity turn will have the craft naturally reach 45 degrees at 500 m/s.

-When landing on Duna a small bit of retro-burning is required to slow the craft to a landing, try to be gentle with the landing as the craft does not have landing legs to save on mass.

-The aerobreaking at Kerbin must be split into two passes otherwise the craft will burn up.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

No one asked for this. No one thought of this. No one built this. Until you came along.

But its amazing. Props to you. I really enjoy the nice symmetry of the bottom. So satisfying.....

4 hours ago, DrLicor said:

My OCD is very satisfied with that bottom :) 

I know right!?! Thanks to the symmetry glitch I was able to get it just about perfect.

3 hours ago, HolidayTheLeek said:

The bottom of that is just beautiful!

I think an over excessive amount of engines is my favorite aesthetic.

5 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Symmetry glitch?

It's rather simple, just take a part which we will call the parent part and radially attach other parts to it, we will call these the daughter parts, take the parent part and radially attach it to another part, which we will call the grandparent part. Lets say the daughter parts were attached to the parent part with 8 way symmetry, if the parent part was then attached to the grandparent part with 8 way symmetry that will give a total of 64 daughter parts. If you then attach a part to the daughter parts with symmetry on it will bump the symmetry number all the way up to 64, you can than move this part and attach them to the grandparent part or any part in line with it, and it will place that part with 64 way symmetry! This effect can be stacked to get 512 way symmetry and beyond. This effectively allows you to multiply symmetry numbers, so if you attached the daughter parts with 6 way symmetry and the parent parts with 2 way symmetry that would give you 12 way symmetry. Another nice thing is that when reattaching the part that you just attached to the daughter parts you can press shift+x to reduce the symmetry number by 1, so if you were starting with 64 way symmetry you could bump that down to 63 way symmetry, or 62, or 61, or 60, etc. This is how I was able to accomplish the 40 way, 32 way, 24 way, 16 way, and 10 way symmetry on the bottom of this rocket, which you can see by looking at the staging sequence in the image included above.

5 minutes ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

It's rather simple, just take a part which we will call the parent part and radially attach other parts to it, we will call these the daughter parts, take the parent part and radially attach it to another part, which we will call the grandparent part. Lets say the daughter parts were attached to the parent part with 8 way symmetry, if the parent part was then attached to the grandparent part with 8 way symmetry that will give a total of 64 daughter parts. If you then attach a part to the daughter parts with symmetry on it will bump the symmetry number all the way up to 64, you can than move this part and attach them to the grandparent part or any part in line with it, and it will place that part with 64 way symmetry! This effect can be stacked to get 512 way symmetry and beyond. This effectively allows you to multiply symmetry numbers, so if you attached the daughter parts with 6 way symmetry and the parent parts with 2 way symmetry that would give you 12 way symmetry. Another nice thing is that when reattaching the part that you just attached to the daughter parts you can press shift+x to reduce the symmetry number by 1, so if you were starting with 64 way symmetry you could bump that down to 63 way symmetry, or 62, or 61, or 60, etc. This is how I was able to accomplish the 40 way, 32 way, 24 way, 16 way, and 10 way symmetry on the bottom of this rocket, which you can see by looking at the staging sequence in the image included above.

So gonna use that! Thanks :)

4 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Or use the editor extension mod. Seriously, if you havent tried it, do. :)

I bet it's very useful, but I don't like to use mods that affect the gameplay to that degree, mods like Kerbal Engineer that just give you another of information is fine by me though. I personally want my craft to be accessible and re-creatable by anyone.

On 2/13/2018 at 11:48 AM, Kronus_Aerospace said:

10 way symmetry

!

I have spent much time thinking of a way to do this without mods without eyeballing it.  I need this for counters and tachometers and other base 10 stuff.  O boy this is great!  I'll message you if I need help.

Yes, that bottom symmetry is hot.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.