SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

2 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

It's started.

Soon you will have 10, then 50 and your computer will melt.

It's an infection, no stopping now! Mods are too fun toatop installing.

Actually, I just did a Vall mission, then KSP went 'LOL NOPE' on me, so now it's a flyby, or even a mission that doesn't exist if it didn't save, anyway, I think I've maxed out my possible mods :D

I can't wait for a new laptop.

Edited by Spaceception

10 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Octosat, Kerbal stock eXpansion, and I downloaded another one, Kerbal joint reinforcement.

Before you do any more, I suggest you try out RLA Stockalike.

Just now, Red Iron Crown said:

I mean adding mods is a slippery slope, once you add a couple it becomes easier to add more...and more...and more...until suddenly you're out of memory.

Oh, well, I'm eyeballing a few mods, but I'm using my self control not to download them, for example, the near future series, I know that if i add one, I'm going to add the rest :0.0:

Must. Not. Download. Moar. Mods. :mellow:

2 minutes ago, Andem said:

Before you do any more, I suggest you try out RLA Stockalike.

1: It's not 1.1.2

2: Thanks for a new mod on my wishlist.

Parts mods tend to add more memory footprint than utility mods, if I understand correctly.  I'm not exactly sure how I'd play the game without mechjeb, gravityturn, Kerbal Alarm Clock...  :wink:  (I'm running 98 mods on a 2008 desktop.  You know you want more mods.  Do it.  Do eet... :wink: )

• 2 weeks later...

I am using CKAN to download and update my mods and it seems that the CDN that serves my location doesn't work. From CKAN I get a 404 error like this:

Failed to download "https://spacedock.info/mod/172/KSP Interstellar Extended/download/1.8.28" - error: Error in remote server: (404) Not found.

And trying to download it directly from Spacedock website throws me another 404 error:

Not Found

The requested URL /svendii_2817/SpaceX_Landing_Legs/SpaceX_Landing_Legs-1.3.zip was not found on this server.

Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at cdn.spacedock.info Port 80

As forum users have told me this has something to do with CDN so, for more information, I am downloading the mods from Spain.

This is happening to me right now when I try to update 2 mods:

• KSP interstellar extended
  • SpaceX Landing Legs

3 hours ago, Winderfo said:

And trying to download it directly from Spacedock website throws me another 404 error:

Not Found

The requested URL /svendii_2817/SpaceX_Landing_Legs/SpaceX_Landing_Legs-1.3.zip was not found on this server.

Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at cdn.spacedock.info Port 80

As forum users have told me this has something to do with CDN so, for more information, I am downloading the mods from Spain.

This is happening to me right now when I try to update 2 mods:

• KSP interstellar extended
  • SpaceX Landing Legs

I am getting this, from the UK, and it looks to be affecting everything since Wednesday. Same error message.

Is there some better thread than this one. Searching the forums was of little use.

It's just possible that they're using the same CDN system that I depend on for an online game, and that may have been misbehaving on the same timescale, But that could easily be down to my ISP. There are other possibilities and I just don't know enough to figure things out.

My ISP connection is through plus.net but if you're having the same problems and don't recognise the name, I suppose they'll be in the clear.

21 hours ago, Winderfo said:

I am using CKAN to download and update my mods and it seems that the CDN that serves my location doesn't work. From CKAN I get a 404 error

18 hours ago, Wolf Baginski said:

I am getting this, from the UK, and it looks to be affecting everything since Wednesday. Same error message.

Guys, try to do a 'nslookup cdn.spacedock.info' and post the IP number you get; that way VITAS can check which of the CDN nodes seem to be running into this problem.

I can confirm having had the 404 problem downloading updates for mods for several days now, with the same errors as mentioned above.

I'm accessing SpaceDock at the moment from NL, and the IP I get for cdn.spacedock.info is 37.139.17.225.

11 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Guys, try to do a 'nslookup cdn.spacedock.info' and post the IP number you get; that way VITAS can check which of the CDN nodes seem to be running into this problem.

I can confirm having had the 404 problem downloading updates for mods for several days now, with the same errors as mentioned above.

I'm accessing SpaceDock at the moment from NL, and the IP I get for cdn.spacedock.info is 37.139.17.225.

Nslookup gives me 37.139.17.225 IP

A workaround, or so it seems, would be to change your DNS. I was having the same issue until I switched from Google to OpenDNS. I'm also in the UK. 

Initial Nslookup: 
Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoratitive answer: 
Name: cdn.spacedock.info
Address: 37.139.17.225

After switching to OpenDNS: 
Server: resolver1.opendns.com
Address: 208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer: 
Name: cdn.spacedock.info
Address: 162.243.68.161

It's working fine from the looks of it now. I'm able to download/update.

5 hours ago, LordReserei said:

A workaround, or so it seems, would be to change your DNS.

I was able to do a similar workaround by using my local hosts file. The source of the problem is clearly that one CDN node, at least for us here in north-west Europe (I think the London node?). VITAS mentioned problems with the maximum disk sizes of some nodes a page or two back... SpaceDock is a big repository.

Best to do this kind of workaround only temporarily though, when you absolutely need a specific download, because otherwise it undermines the CDN setup and ultimately the viability of SpaceDock.

@VITAS, I much appreciate the service, and I understand the reasoning and validity of a CDN setup to spread out downloads/bandwidth geographically, but if a node starts to continuously serve a 404 on the most recent mod updates, SpaceDock might as well not be there at all for the geography the node serves. Your suggestion to manually/automatically prune older mods from the smaller nodes so they have space for the newest updates seems like it would require a lot of babysitting (especially around KSP updates, with two of them upcoming soon) and cause problems on the other end - people that still use/want the older mod versions.

Using (and presumably paying for) any <64GB nodes at this point seems counterproductive. Limiting the CDN to only the bigger nodes that do not currently run into that 64GB disk size limit would seem to offer less administration and perhaps even less cost. Or would the bigger nodes then run into a bandwidth issue?

Alternatively, maybe some form of auto-redirecting can be implemented, when a download is not available on a smaller node, so it is still served by one of the nodes with a complete repository. That would equally work for newer mod updates or pruned older mods, and would maximize the usefulness of small nodes while avoiding the 404s. CKAN might have an issue with this though, not sure it can currently handle redirection; perhaps something to bring to their attention (I did).

Edited by swjr-swis
link to CKAN post

I can confirm that the 37.139.17.225 IP address is the one that's messing me up.

Most CDN systems I see are a sort of cache. If the CDN node doesn't have the requested data the request is redirected. The Cache size doesn't have to be that large to make a difference.

I have a sort of vague understanding of the principles. This looks broken.

I shall try changing my DNS...

...and it works. Hooray

I did a traceroute, and the responses go to London, through a BT system, and vanish into the wilds of telia.net who are one of the biggest network providers. And they're reported to be having problems, two different events since the 17th.

Then I checked the IP address I am getting from the other DNS server, and it still routes through telia.net. And I can't see how it wouldn't have been affected by the telia.net problems too.

The overall timing doesn't look right. So maybe the problem is something else. But it's likely the big problems did hit other services I use.

Problem: London CDN Node was running out of Diskspace. Fallback to the main server couldnt be implemented in time. (we dont have the time and manpower to do all the things)

Solution: after trying to get more disk space allocated and failed ive disabled it.

Im still away so ive to put a propper fix in place once im back home.

Sorry for any proble,s caused by this.

Edited by VITAS