SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

While updating Portrait Stats on Space Dock and adding it to Curse Forge I noticed something today:

Q65TKYW.png

Pretty impressive for just a few months. That could mean 746 mods plus the six on the front page, but regardless, it's a lot, and it's probably fair to say the Curse has a lot more outdated and/or dead mods.

SpaceDock is the ONLY hosting site I regularly check specifically for new/updated mods I dont catch with forum thread updates...

Its nice having a bookmarked link i can click, and voila, theres quick, easy, basic links to all the newest mods/updates... IN chronological order, no less, so once I see one I already have, i know I dont have to search back any further in the list...

MUCH better, easier than Curse, or even Git to find out about updates/new releases.... :D

PS- Would still like to see NEW mods NOT included in, and seperated from,  Recently Updated mods, tho ... :wink:

i think its all the mods (including the ones on the forntpage) but i didnt check the code.

thomas is doing some work on the new backend (where darklight left off when he got addicted to yet another game :P ).

IF it gets finished and IF i can find some spare time ill finish the new frontend part INCLUDING a sortable & filtered browse page.

challange idea: test out a new mod every day for 1 week, 1month or 1 year (and maybe write something about it on the forums)

sorry about not picking featured mods the past few weeks. got a job promotion. been incredibly afk from computer games for weeks now. wow. hope to return now that things have mostly stabilized.

Here are some stistics from SpaceDock that might be usefull for you modders out there:

Type
Visits
DesktopDesktop  93.7%159,405
SmartphoneSmartphone  4.5%7,630
TabletTablet  1.4%2,312
PhabletPhablet  0.3%568
UnknownUnknown  0.1%158
Portable media playerPortable media player  0%31
ConsoleConsole  0%10
Feature phoneFeature phone  0%3
TvTv  0%1

At least one person brought us on the big screen (not cinema but tv at least)

Operating System version
Visits
Windows 10Windows 10  48.9%83,158
Windows 7Windows 7  26.4%44,914
Windows 8.1Windows 8.1  8%13,531
Mac 10.11Mac 10.11  4.4%7,545
iOS 9.3iOS 9.3  1.8%3,141
Mac 10.10Mac 10.10  1.5%2,597
Android 6.0Android 6.0  1.3%2,196
GNU/LinuxGNU/Linux  1.1%1,787
Windows 8Windows 8  0.9%1,567
visitorlog.pngrow_evolution.png
Windows XPWindows XP
 0.8%1,292

Seens like Microsoft is been rewarded for beeing anoying like hell.

Resolution
Visits
1920x1080  43.4%73,856
1366x768  13%22,065
1600x900  5.2%8,872
1680x1050  4.7%8,003
1280x1024
 4.3%7,374

the 4.3% include me ...HDMI , Full HD... a dream *sigh*

Language
Visits
English  61.3%104,300
Russian  7.5%12,812
German  6.3%10,652
Chinese  4.2%7,204
French  3.8%6,500
Spanish  2.8%4,722
Portuguese  2.3%3,978
Dutch  1.6%2,780
Polish
 1.6%2,683
Italian  1.4%2,392

Edited by VITAS

Because Darklight, THomas and me are bussy with real life stuff i ask some well known trustworthy person to step up and handle some admin / support tasks on SpaceDock. Any volunteers?

• 2 weeks later...

Is the site unbearably slow today for anyone else, or just me? :P

EDIT:
Hmm... I guess nevermind?... In the middle of me testing loading the site, it seems to have come back up... ?? ... :)

@VITAS Is your post with the three server links for testing, on page 41, still relevant?... I was trying them out, not only to see if it was just me, but to post my results, in case it would help with troubleshooting outages?
If so, i will bookmark them for future reference...

Edited by Stone Blue

For anyone mentioning site performance and availability, it'd be really nice if you could include a rough location of where you are.  Or at least where your DNS server will think you are.  Many people don't seem to have got the memo that spacedock is distributed, and you'll get different servers depending on location.  If you want to be enthusiastic, then you can mention your ISP as well.  It'll help correlate dumb ISP routing issues, esp if a bunch of other people chime in with "Hey, I'm on <ISP> as well!".

Just a handy hint.

I'm not picking on people, and I have no authority to do so, or to ask that people do this.  I just think it'd be handy to have those bits of info for the Site admin dudes (all 3 of them, who all have day jobs and mods to maintain as well, as well as lives) we expect to rush to help us out.

I'm in Australia/Brisbane, using TGP for an approximation of Internet, and spacedock is working nicely.  Firefox keeps crapping itself though.  I don't expect Vitas to help with that though ;-)

2 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

For anyone mentioning site performance and availability, it'd be really nice if you could include a rough location of where you are.  Or at least where your DNS server will think you are.  Many people don't seem to have got the memo that spacedock is distributed, and you'll get different servers depending on location.

Thats why I was asking about the three links on page 41... I was testing them, and in the middle of it, the site seemed to come back, so i didnt post more info... lol

17 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Thats why I was asking about the three links on page 41... I was testing them, and in the middle of it, the site seemed to come back, so i didnt post more info... lol

:-)

I had a vague feeling you'd posted more info before.  Your post made me think "hey, wouldn't it be good if..." though.

no ive everything ready to change the whole cdn setup but i dindt have the time to be arround to check if anyone has a problem. so i did leave it for now.

for the site using any caching atm its rather fast (but that doesnt help anyone)

I don't know if i should post this here but, i have a problem confirming my account on "Spacedock".

It doesn't send me the confirmation email (not even in the spam folder) and i can't even activate my accout by sending "!activate" as subject to the "[email protected]".

And i don't get help when i send an email to "[email protected]".

Please help,

Thanks.

8 hours ago, alex_1313 said:

I don't know if i should post this here but, i have a problem confirming my account on "Spacedock".

It doesn't send me the confirmation email (not even in the spam folder) and i can't even activate my accout by sending "!activate" as subject to the "[email protected]".

And i don't get help when i send an email to "[email protected]".

Please help,

Thanks.

If you PM me your username, I can activate you manually. If you add your email adress to the PM too, I can check if you entered it wrong. :)

On 18.8.2016 at 8:41 AM, Thomas P. said:

If you PM me your username, I can activate you manually. If you add your email adress to the PM too, I can check if you entered it wrong. :)

My username on "Spacedock" is "alex_1313" and i checked if my email is right by trying to regster again (with rewritten email) and it says " A user with this email already exists.".

25 minutes ago, alex_1313 said:

My username on "Spacedock" is "alex_1313" and i checked if my email is right by trying to regster again (with rewritten email) and it says " A user with this email already exists.".

You are confirmed now.

Uh, guys?

kspmods . net

Unless everyone has been secretly uploading their mods here, I'm fairly certain this site is A) Illegal, and B) Stealing information from spacedock. (also illegal).

--EDIT--

Also, whenever I try to link the site directly it changes the web address to google. :huh:

Edited by Andem

7 hours ago, Andem said:

Uh, guys?

kspmods . net

Unless everyone has been secretly uploading their mods here, I'm fairly certain this site is A) Illegal, and B) Stealing information from spacedock. (also illegal).

--EDIT--

Also, whenever I try to link the site directly it changes the web address to google. :huh:

A quick sample shows many are old versions.  The site is sitting behind Cloudflare, making it trickier to nail down who is responsible.

Contact page is empty.

Pretty sure their terms and conditions page doesn't hold any legal water.

Someone's paying Cloudflare for this crap though.

And it doesn't even actually host the mods.  Half of the download links point to Kerbalstuff ffs.  The more recent ones seem to point at mega.nz (a cloud file thingy), and are uploaded by user "Administrator".  Without the dead kerbalstuff links, I'd be inclined to think this was just a way of piggy backing malware onto mod downloads.

Because I haven't actually ruled that out, I'll download some from the mega thingy and check.

Files (only tried a few) seem to check out.  Again, mostly slightly old, including the "most recent".

The whole idea of this site is plain old daft.

For my next stupid plan, I shall try to get them to remove one of my mods.

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming

25 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

A quick sample shows many are old versions.  The site is sitting behind Cloudflare, making it trickier to nail down who is responsible.

Investigating further (cos work sucks)

Alright. Just wanted to let you all know.

On 25/08/2016 at 5:56 AM, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Not sure how useful this is, but WHOIS (https://who.is/whois/google.com) doesn't yield much info for the site, but it does refer to https://www.privacyguardian.org/ which appears to have a mechanisum to contact a domain owner (without actually exposing the domain owner) and there is a form to report abuse.

It also seems associated with a couple other mod sites for other games and on one of them (which has a similar style) there is a more complete contact us page (that also has an email address, unsecurely splotched in a p tag, so if it's any good I don't know) - http://stardewvalleymods.net/contact-us/ 

9 hours ago, katateochi said:

Not sure how useful this is, but WHOIS (https://who.is/whois/google.com) doesn't yield much info for the site, but it does refer to https://www.privacyguardian.org/ which appears to have a mechanisum to contact a domain owner (without actually exposing the domain owner) and there is a form to report abuse.

It also seems associated with a couple other mod sites for other games and on one of them (which has a similar style) there is a more complete contact us page (that also has an email address, unsecurely splotched in a p tag, so if it's any good I don't know) - http://stardewvalleymods.net/contact-us/ 

That's the email I used to voice an un-answered complaint about my mods being there.  PrivacyGuardian serves a noble purpose, but tends to be used to completely ignore any responsibility.  I should try that path as well though.  For completeness.

7 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

That's the email I used to voice an un-answered complaint about my mods being there.  PrivacyGuardian serves a noble purpose, but tends to be used to completely ignore any responsibility.  I should try that path as well though.  For completeness.

Yep, this one has been around for a while. And I took it up twice with Ted (when he was still around) who advised not a lot they can do about it. Other than they blocked that site from the forums.
I did further investigations legally. So Unless your License covers distribution restrictions or anything to do with commerical (such as adds in this case) you can't do much.
In the case where you do have these two things covered you can ask them to remove it. If they do not you can report the page to the DMCA.