Mun North Pole needs fixing.

Indeed, there is no problem like this at Kerbin, with its flat icecap poles.  Minmus is fine, its pole is more hilly.  Duna and Eve both have a problem like above.  I didn't feel like checking the rest, but its pretty common.  Though, the Mun used to have a perfectly fine North polar pyramid.  Something must've changed.

16 hours ago, klesh said:

Indeed, there is no problem like this at Kerbin, with its flat icecap poles.  Minmus is fine, its pole is more hilly.  Duna and Eve both have a problem like above.  I didn't feel like checking the rest, but its pretty common.  Though, the Mun used to have a perfectly fine North polar pyramid.  Something must've changed.

actually if you go to 90 north/south on Kerbin there is a hole, but you can't see it until you fall in it.

11 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

actually if you go to 90 north/south on Kerbin there is a hole, but you can't see it until you fall in it.

Having stood at Kerbin's North Pole (see the thread linked above), unless this is a recent change I can categorically state that no such hole exists at the North Pole.

On 3/16/2018 at 11:47 AM, klesh said:

With the advent of the ability to place launchpads anywhere in the Solar System, things like gaping holes in planets need to be fixed.

Whaddya mean, place launchpads anywhere in the solar system? Is this a mod, part of Making History, or just the stock game?

51 minutes ago, dreadanaught said:

Whaddya mean, place launchpads anywhere in the solar system? Is this a mod, part of Making History, or just the stock game?

Making History missions have a spawnable function when building them.  The mission creator can spawn a launchpad anywhere on the surface of anything but Jool or the Sun, even underwater.  You can spawn individual Kerbals too.  This makes for lots of interesting possibilities for unique gameplay, but we need the planets fixed so interesting polar scenarios are viable without large terrain glitches visible.

8YY2EBi.jpg

Edited by klesh

18 hours ago, klesh said:

Making History missions have a spawnable function when building them.  The mission creator can spawn a launchpad anywhere on the surface of anything but Jool or the Sun, even underwater.  You can spawn individual Kerbals too.  This makes for lots of interesting possibilities for unique gameplay, but we need the planets fixed so interesting polar scenarios are viable without large terrain glitches visible.

Oh ok then, I thought you meant that there was some way to build a launchpad in the standard game.

19 hours ago, klesh said:

8YY2EBi.jpg

I actually like the eh, odd terrain near the poles of celestial bodies. Makes rovering and other exploring more challenging.

22 hours ago, klesh said:

Out of all the terrain available in the game...  something like one billionth of it not available due to polar glitches.

56 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

Out of all the terrain available in the game...  something like one billionth of it not available due to polar glitches.

Yes. I actually find the poles interesting to visit, as they are one of the more unique parts of each planet (and people have complained in the past that the planets are dull enough).

Poles present some pretty unique situations.  The Mun north pole specifically didn't have this problem a few editions ago.  I often go to the poles to plant a flag right on the specific spots.

Here we have the South Pole of Minmus in 1.4.1:

dZyzH4F.jpg

We are nearing 3 years since the 1.0 launch of the game.  I really don't want to see gaping holes in planets anymore.

On 25.3.2018 at 6:31 AM, Red Thought said:

Just let a modder fix the issue.   Seems like the general theme of this forum.  Going along with the flow.  Could get a community mod pack going, as they do for skyrim that only fixes bugs.  

Good idea. This would ensure that this stuff gets fixed. :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.