[Bug] Has moduleRCS changed for 1.4.1?

I am hoping to get a dev to answer as to whether the change to moduleRCS in 1.4.1 is intentional. The plume orientation is now reverse for parts that used to work fine in 1.3.1. It works, but the plumes are backwards.

Any clarification? I am leaning towards it being a bug  

Edited by akron

3 hours ago, akron said:

I am hoping to get a dev to answer as to whether the change to moduleRCS in 1.4.1 is intentional. The plume orientation is now reverse for parts that used to work fine in 1.3.1. It works, but the plumes are backwards.

I tried putting up something with RCS and it looks ok to me... I put up something with stock RCS and I tried a few mod RCS parts (OPT parts, drone core with RCS and their linear RCS)

All of the ones I tried were ModuleRCSFX though and not ModuleRCS, but that shouldn't matter.

8 hours ago, Starwaster said:

I tried putting up something with RCS and it looks ok to me... I put up something with stock RCS and I tried a few mod RCS parts (OPT parts, drone core with RCS and their linear RCS)

All of the ones I tried were ModuleRCSFX though and not ModuleRCS, but that shouldn't matter.

Thanks. Unfortunately, it does matter in this case. Those modules use different orientation nodes to calculate thrust. Z+ vs Y+. They are different in how they do their effects as well since the new one uses the newer particle system

12 hours ago, akron said:

I had the same problem, changing to RCSFX and tweaking the parameters did it for me.  This was in KWRocketry.  I used the stock rcs as a model for the effects settings

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I had the same problem, changing to RCSFX and tweaking the parameters did it for me.  This was in KWRocketry.  I used the stock rcs as a model for the effects settings

Did you also have to rotate the nodes in Unity from Y+ to Z+ ?

well this happened to me as well the plums go up but the thrust is actually working correct(thrust goes down), on a plane I made in 1.3.1

it was completed and worked, now using the craft in 1.4.1 it is  backwards for the plume, correct for the actual thrusting needed.

this appears to be a visual effect, issue, I don't recall it happening in 1.4.0. and all thruster types on the ship seem to act this way.

I couldn't locate a forum or github for kwrocketry..

and 2.7 is the version I have.. would you have/know of a link maybe? 

thanks

Jammer

Edited by Jammer-TD

Hi, I received one RemoteTech report on this RCS misbehavior and I also got hit by this in my personal play session.

Your issue description is exactly matched to what I am seeing (inverted RCS-related orientation). RT Flight Computer oscillates in RCS thrust direction rapidly.

I am trying to figure out what was changed in ModuleRCS & part cfg.

2 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Hi, I received one RemoteTech report on this RCS misbehavior and I also got hit by this in my personal play session.

Your issue description is exactly matched to what I am seeing (inverted RCS-related orientation). RT Flight Computer oscillates in RCS thrust direction rapidly.

I am trying to figure out what was changed in ModuleRCS & part cfg.

Let me know what you find. I'll try LGG's suggestion, but I doubt it will work in my case. I also logged it in the KSP bug tracker, but I don't expect any response from Squad there for a while since it's the weekend.

I hope it's not an intentional change or a lot of old mods just broke visually, unless we can get a new custom rcs module

@akron After some tests and code/cfg comparisons, I begin to think that there are really no changes in ModuleRCS's orientations. My issue encountered is likely an edge case of RemoteTech's RCS part. It performed terribly on large Moment of Inertia with small RCS thrust. 

My apologies for false alarm as my issue is not really related to your problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.