[WIP] DCCPW, Spy Sat stuff

dishycourier

q. How do you model like 5-10 things in only a few days?

A. I'm a jobless hobo with a decent computer, coffee pot and 30 years of sci-fi inspiration and the ability to research really quickly. I also used to use lightwave so i'm pretty familliar with the basics.

you are a hobo??!!

A musical instrument ([ATTACH=CONFIG]32774[/ATTACH]) which can create KSP parts?!!!!! What will they think of next!

Seriously, you're not a hobo just because you're temporary in-between jobs.

I lol'd a little.

Seriously though. I'll be headed to DC in October for a conference and I'll be able to stop by the National Air and Space museum. With my camera. Is there anything anyone needs reference shots of?

I think we all know at this point that this will probably be the first stop I'll be making: http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/collection.cfm?collid=1478

By the way. The unknown sensor, could it be a sensor which measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field?

I figured it out. It's a trapped radiation detector: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_10#Scientific_instruments

I think. On the diagram, it's a roundish nub with other roundish nubs sticking off it. In the book it has 3 nubs, on the internet it has 4 triangular ones.

I think it's the topmost probe bit that's supposed to be a magnetometer. It's a rough model though. I'll refine it as I go. :)

Jeb 9000 should be up in a few minutes. It's not really part of a probe pack, but it's done and I've enjoyed testing it, so maybe you'll enjoy using it. Although it's just really a radial jeb, it is small and sits flush. Maybe it's got niche appeal, I dunno.

Not much other work for today/the weekend. Dealing with a sick dog :(

I'll get back to work on some of it over the weekend, but there won't really be much to share. Maybe a new screen or two, but not much.

Edit: Also, Black Mesa Source came out today. I'm not good for anything this weekend.

Edited by dishycourier

Aww, we hope your dog gets better. Do try to release the telescope part next, I want to look at things close up!

Well, the Kennan clone is done in terms of modelling and texturing, but balance and debugging is an issue.

The telescope incorporates an SAS, but is currently so powerful it does nothing but spin. Node attaches are also an issue. There's really no easy way to put them where they are supposed to be. Even when they are where they need to be, they still sometimes don't work.

The telescope has 3 zoom levels, but currently the viewpoint is still INSIDE the telescope, so all you see is the reflector.

The face on the inside of the lens was removed, so as it is, the viewpoint is at the middle of the body and looks out to the rest of the model. I'm just going to move the viewpoint up by 1.6m and get it out of the way of the model. Has 3 zoom levels. Might make it 5.

Well. Yes and no. There's an issue with the engine at altitudes. Since it doesn't draw the ground from that high up, it doesn't work. However, the Mun and Minmus are zoomable from up to around 30km I think. It's possible it will work, but there are some built-in limitations.

...Had a long drive today and came up with a way to clone the Hexagon canister pod.

kh-9__1.jpg

I'll model it and see how it turns out. I'd like to get the whole first pack out the door soon, but I keep adding more work :(

This pack has me excited, I love launching probes at planets in 0.17. Keep up the awesome work!

Edited by Cameraguy34

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.