Kerbin should have a pole on its poles

I saw another post about a pole inclination, and seeing the word pole got me thinking.  What if Kerbin had those red and white striped poles at its north and south pole?  They would be interesting navigation targets for missions and would be cool for Kerbal photo ops.  Thoughts?

If it was something more significant for that beautiful flat landscape, maybe, but simple pole? Just plant the flag, it's smaller but more visible than a stick.

Or, I don't know, build a relay dish array or a base there. 

Poles can mess up your camera orientation if you abuse it by standing a kerbal directly on it. Watch @Danny2462's videos. He's perhaps the only KSP player who managed to kill a kerbal by using pole (not a stick, an actual planetary pole)

But I agree with you that there should be a navigational reference for poles, but as @The Aziz said, sticking a flag on poles already accomplished that, not to mention being viewable in tracking station and miles away from it's general proximity

21 hours ago, ARS said:

Poles can mess up your camera orientation if you abuse it by standing a kerbal directly on it. Watch @Danny2462's videos. He's perhaps the only KSP player who managed to kill a kerbal by using pole (not a stick, an actual planetary pole)

But I agree with you that there should be a navigational reference for poles, but as @The Aziz said, sticking a flag on poles already accomplished that, not to mention being viewable in tracking station and miles away from it's general proximity

I was thinking that it could be more for community challenges/missions, like drive/fly a vehicle to both poles in whatever way, then have a screenshot of your Kerbal next to the pole marker as a fun way to prove you went there.  I don't know, just a potentially cool idea.

On 4/8/2018 at 5:17 AM, ARS said:

He's perhaps the only KSP player who managed to kill a kerbal by using pole (not a stick, an actual planetary pole)

Any player can do this with ease.  Just walk into the gaping voids and your kerbal will die.

Spoiler

dZyzH4F.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:17 AM, ARS said:

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:19 AM, klesh said:

Any player can do this with ease.  Just walk into the gaping voids and your kerbal will die.

Hide contents

dZyzH4F.jpg

Stock Visual Terrain and high-quality terrain settings will prevent any "gaping holes", at least on Kerbin. 

But it's still perfectly possibly to kill a Kerbal by walking directly onto 90.00 N or S.  I did it on a recent expedition to the South Pole. Landed on the ice and walked to try to plant a flag directly on the pole. The camera freaked for a second, my Scientist spun around like a rag doll on crack and then disappeared in a tiny little explosion - there were flames and smoke and everything. I sure wish I'd been recording when that happened. I was so astounded I just laughed.

So yeah, the game engine treats the axes of spherical bodies as - essentially - mathematical singularities. In Soviet Kerbin, ZERO divides by YOU! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.