:-( How to land Boeing 737 in MFS X

Pawelk198604

I think that question is scientific enough, i just started Microsoft Flight Simulator and tried to fly from Okęcie, Warsaw Poland (EPWA) to  Schönefeld( EDDB) i managed to fly to Berlin but failed to land, even trough programmed ILS and set autopilot into approach mode  :( 

i just wonder does only i had graphic issue on MFSX Steam edition ?

Edited by Vanamonde

I've never tried autoland in FSX.

There's a "Learning Centre" built into FSX (it's in FS2004 as well). Just short of reality compared to an actual flying school. It's made (written ? narrated ?) with Rod Machado. It's pretty useful to actually learn flight controls. You can learn to make a circuit and (approach and) land as well.

I also recommend to use the "mouse yoke" option if you don't have an actual yoke.

(also, it's botched)

Edited by YNM

19 hours ago, YNM said:

I've never tried autoland in FSX.

There's a "Learning Centre" built into FSX (it's in FS2004 as well). Just short of reality compared to an actual flying school. It's made (written ? narrated ?) with Rod Machado. It's pretty useful to actually learn flight controls. You can learn to make a circuit and (approach and) land as well.

I also recommend to use the "mouse yoke" option if you don't have an actual yoke.

(also, it's botched)

I use Xbox controller for PC 

@Pawelk198604 I still recommend you to try the tutorial/flying school. At least it helps you to understand what's (should be) going on in your flight.

12 hours ago, SpacePigeon said:

That's for modded planes (specifically PMDG B737 NGX). The default planes don't have functioning FMS.

AFAIK the only time there's an autoland in FSX is in one of the mission (the Monsoon Changi approach thing with a 747), I've never known anything else other than that.

9 minutes ago, YNM said:

@Pawelk198604 I still recommend you to try the tutorial/flying school. At least it helps you to understand what's (should be) going on in your flight.

That's for modded planes (specifically PMDG B737 NGX). The default planes don't have functioning FMS.

AFAIK the only time there's an autoland in FSX is in one of the mission (the Monsoon Changi approach thing with a 747), I've never known anything else other than that.

The FMS is only mentioned when taking the flaps needed.

You could just eyeball it without using the FMS.

I'm also assuming OP wants to perform an Autoland as they mention putting autopilot into approach mode (assuming that is the APP button).

@SpacePigeon A few things :

1. It is posted over there under "PMDG 737NGX" subforum;

2. The cockpit textures and FD/EICAS looks different (compare with OP's videos)

3. It mentions "dual autopilot" which is never featured in the base 737 model in FSX.

Here's some references in a video (that also uses PMDG 737NGX).

But to my knowledge this is useless for the standard FSX's 737.

Edited by YNM

23 minutes ago, YNM said:

@SpacePigeon A few things :

1. It is posted over there under "PMDG 737NGX" subforum;

2. The cockpit textures and FD/EICAS looks different (compare with OP's videos)

3. It mentions "dual autopilot" which is never featured in the base 737 model in FSX.

Here's some references in a video (that also uses PMDG 737NGX).

But to my knowledge this is useless for the standard FSX's 737.

Oh, ok.

I don't actually fly the standard 737, just hoped they would be similar enough.

1 hour ago, SpacePigeon said:

... Just hoped they would be similar enough.

Why would you use a custom one if the 'standard' one is "similar enough" XD

Edited by YNM

14 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

How to perform autoland i put ILS frequency of Runway 7R of Berlin Schonefield Airport when a put APR button it should land itself  

Hmm...

I just tested this on the Monsoon Approach (Changi ILS) mission. It doesn't give you any instruction to use an autoland system, so this was entirely trial-and-error, but in general, for FSX-default planes, what you should do (for future referrence) :

- Find the ILS frequency for the runway you're going to land

- Input them into both NAV1 and NAV2 (just for good measure)

- Line up with runway approach (through AP and NAV-GPS or HDG) until stable - you might also want to utilize Autothrottle and SPD hold;

- THEN put on the APP (approach hold).

However, from what I experienced, the system is very delicate - you need to be absolutely be in and aligned to the horizontal path already before turning on APP. Also, in my case, it always puts me one whole runway width to the right at touchdown area - obviously I didn't go ahead with it, turned it off then took manual control.

I'm not sure what CAT does Changi have in the default game. You might also want to check that in-game for the ILS you're using, it might disengage earlier if it's CAT I (200 ft radar) or CAT II (100 ft radar). Even then, this was all a game from decades ago, so don't put too much confidence to the default stuff.

EDIT : I tried this on the "Flying Blind Across the Channel" feat. Cessna 172 and "Rome-Naples Airline Run" feat. A321. On the first one, the system levelled off at about 300 ft or something, but then the airplane don't have autoland I think. On the second one I forgot to switch between NAV and GPS setting for the NAV autopilot, so it end up not following the ILS (AP disengaged then land visually). I'll test more on other scenarios that involves landing on ILS-equipped runways.

Edited by YNM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.