My first (edit: not a real) Kraken, wondering how bad it was

FinalFan

How bad was this?   

6 members have voted

1. 1. How bad was this?

• That's pretty bad! You're lucky the save file was back to normal after restarting.
    • This is pretty standard. You're lucky the save file was back to normal after restarting.
    • The save file was probably in no danger.
    • You baby, when I was your age this happened on every mission.

So I'm collecting surface samples, and flying up to a 2.5m cargo bay to stick them in experiment containers.  I sometimes have some trouble with my aim but the kerbal seems to fit inside just fine.  This time when I hop out of the can, my kerbal is invisible.  Weird.  I can still see the RCS jets, though, so I exit and use them to help me fly to the other side of the can.  Now EVERYTHING disappears!  What?  My altitude is red zeroes and my speed is "NaNm/s".  I can swap views to the flag, but not to my ship.  After a while my speed becomes "only" 37,000+ m/s and I gain altitude to match ... but I cannot go to the tracking station "while on the surface".  OK.  Reload a quicksave, and my kerbal is back where he's supposed to be, but day has turned to night somehow.  Map view.  Maybe it's because there's no sun?  Also the Mun is gone now even though I was just standing on it.  KSP crashes. 

Restart the program while sweating bullets.  Everything is back!  Phew.  By Kraken standards, how bad was this one? 

Edited by FinalFan

1 minute ago, FinalFan said:

Oh, my fault, I thought it just generally meant "catastrophic physics bug", not specifically "come out of time warp and your ship goes kablooie". 

I'd say that a good definition of a Kraken is an error that occurs when the game suddenly changes state- for example, after a quickload, savefile edit, or EVA, so by that definition I'd call this a Kraken.

3 minutes ago, Confused Scientist said:

I'd say that a good definition of a Kraken is an error that occurs when the game suddenly changes state- for example, after a quickload, savefile edit, or EVA, so by that definition I'd call this a Kraken.

The second "disappearing universe" one would qualify, but the initial incident happened in normal play with no time warp or quicksave anywhere. 

Welcome to the Shadow Realm, buddy.

3B1D35C72A7CE6692847A90BB36CE7D9306009CE

Freaked me out something awful when it happened to me too.

4 hours ago, FinalFan said:

Restart the program while sweating bullets.  Everything is back! 

Might wanna double check that - when it happened to me it actually ate the craft that triggered it (but everything else was fine). I had to reload an earlier save to get my probe back.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.