M-Industries

quadro7f

Are you interested in this project?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in this project?

• Hell yeah!
    • No

Ok, i made quick calculations. Fuel density should be 0.005 (for rocket and for jet fuel - its same, no idea why).

Here is how get that number:

1. I chosen vanilla part FL-T400 Fuel tank with parameters: total mass 2.25, dry mass 0.25, capacity 400. Here is fuel density calc: Total mass - dry mass/capacity = 2.25-0.25/400=0.005

2. I chosen vanilla part FL-T32 Fuel tank with parameters: tm 18, dm 2, cap 3200. 18-2/3200=0.005

3. For vanilla FL-T16, tm 9, dm 1, cap 1600, so 9-1/1600=0.005

4. For moded parts KSP by Kyle & Winston, for example, KW-LFC 1x1 Meter Fuel tank we have: tm 1.55, dm 0.15, cap 280, so there will be 1.55-0.15/280=0.005 as well.

5. And at last, for vanilla Mk1 fuselage jet fuel tank (which i use as standart balance link, or marker), we have tm 1.05, dm 0.3, cap 150 = 1.05-0.3/150=0.005 (this is surprise, because in description says what jet fuel much lighter??? no sh*t!)

So i made a conclusion what for KSP v.0.16 standart liquid (and jet) fuel density = 0.005.

There also very instresting correlation between Total and Dry masses exist. If you divide total mass on dry mass you will get coefficient = 9. And this proportion always the same for any part i cheked. To check this i made some support calc like this:

total mass/capacity = 2.25/400=0.005625. This number we have for all parts as well, because dry mass coefficient stay the same.

About G tanks series. I trying to make G3 tank capacity equal to 4 Mk1 tanks. Here is how it looks:

Screenshot_392.jpg

So for G3 tank we have Capacity 600 (150x4), Fuel Mass 3 (600x0.005), Total mass 3,375 (600x0.005625), Dry mass 0.375 (3,375-3), Check = 3,375/0.375=9 (correct).

And i thinking about G2 and G1 tanks right now, according this calculations. If you found any mistake here, please tell me. =)

UPD: Here is G2 and G1 parameters:

G2 - Capacity 300, Total mass 1.6875, DryMass 0.1875. Linear dimensions: 70,7% of G3 tank.

G1 - Capacity 150, Total mass 0.84375, DryMass 0.09. Linear dimensions: 50% of G3 tank (technically the size of old G2 tank).

So they pretty much the same as in current version, but a little more accurate. And the only issues are dry mass and sizes of G2 and G1 tanks. I gonna fix this. I used V = À*R2*h formula to estimate correct linear size, using volume as innitial value, so its 98% accurate.

Edited by quadro7f

New version of G-serie External Fuel Tanks - 1.1 (02.09.2012)

download_button.jpg

Changes:

- New sizes for G2 and G1 Tanks (70.7% and 50% of G3 tank's size);

- More accurate total and dry masses for all tanks;

- More accurate drag values;

- New bump maps and specular options;

Thanx TheCardinal for pointing on issues with balance and size.

how did I miss this! this needs more love, and those are some GORGEOUS models and textures. I'm guessing you'll be making "kit" SAS/ZO2 parts to fit into the nose area, to avoid weirdness?

Sure, all avionics like mechjeb, comsat, and such and also parts like zo2 tanks, solar panels and energy cells for energy plugin and other stuff will be modeled to fit perfectly with shuttle (in visual and functions way) and for future vehicles (like X-71 shuttle).

For example, mechjeb will be implemented as 1 section equipment rack (and there 4-10 more sections in forward bay, depends on cabin type). And there could be 3 more rear avionics bays (like in real shuttle), according there scheme:

avionics_plan.gif

p74.jpg

Still thinking about sas modules. Maybe i should make them not just as rack equipment slot, but inertial measurement units instead? Here is how they looks like (3 white boxes between bay and front windows):

Fwd_Fus_Comp_A1000.gif

And here is RCS tanks (and ZO2 as well - they will be blue colored):

image.jpg

And here is some WIP screens. I just completed all forward RCS thrusters (and their patches), so its only nose section left and then i gonna make some critical tests in game:

Screenshot_397.jpg

Screenshot_398.jpg

Screenshot_399.jpg

Edited by quadro7f

hi your shuttle so far looks amazing Q1. is it going to have a working cargo bay Q2. is it going to have working exsternal tank and SRBs (Solid Rocket Boosters) Q3. is it ok if i joing your team to think up concepts becuse i have lots and ill be a grate member

1. Aye, i planning to make working cargobay and not one but several of them. They should be big enough to hold some addition tanks (like zo2 or rcs) and equipment (in fuselage sections), cargo itself (sattelites, telescopes, space station modules or whatever). And also there will be passenger variation of it (with windows on side and interior salon (then IVA will be available), like a regular plane, so you could transport people inside of it.

Btw, here is intresting thing. Because of big capacity (20-30 kerbals) of passanger bay, and because this part will be empty from start, to load it up, we need some kinda bus. So you could start second flight on runway as a bus filled with passangers, and then drive all the way to tower and load them into shuttle before launch.

And here is second moment - we need some kinda additional tower to do so (with ladders and platforms to be able to reach shuttle's hatch). So i thinking about of making that tower and bus as well, hehe ^_^

2. Sure, External tank will be composite. You could build as big external tank as needed (for interplanetary flights or for heavy payloads, for example). And 2 colors will be available - white (columbia style), and orange (classic).

Dont know about SRB's yet, but they will have 2 parts as minimum (second part is a cone with parachute) and separations mini-thrusters of course, as parts (4 on top and 4 on bottom on each booster). I am thinking to make severals boosters models as well - to balance different size of fuel tank, so maybe there will be standart, extended and heavy-duty models as well. Dont know yet.

3. Sure, you are welcome. Send me a PM with you ideas, its better to continue conversation there =)

This is just great! Ive been following the thread for a while, hoping to see its completion as soon as possible. I really love the modular system, and the ability to change payloads. Id really love to see you expand this system to other spacecraft, it makes things quite realistic and easy to modify when we need to for different missions.

Keep up the good work!

Progress:

1. Successful complex physics tests ingame. From now, all parts will use realistic collision mechanics, no matter how complex parts are.

2. Cabin's mesh upgraded and optimized (especially near windows).

3. Cabin's textures tweaked (need more corrections on black tiles near hatch).

4. FDR and FDL RCS thruster's textures redone, as well as their patch parts analogs.

5. "Hood" almost done

Screenshot_400.jpg

Screenshot_401.jpg

Screenshot_402.jpg

UPD. I have some good news. I just successfully tested MuMech Plugin with several engine and fuel options. So, here is main changes and benefits for USTS:

1. Shuttle's external tank will be composite and must contain 2 different tanks types: Liquid Hydrogen (LH2) and Liquid Oxygen (LOX). You could choose their proportions needs for you mission by adding/remooving different external tank's parts.

2. Main shuttle's 3 engines (RS-25) consume LH2 as fuel and LOX as oxydizer, both at the same time by ratio 6. Which means what each 6 volumes of LH2 requires 1 unit of LOX.

3. Shuttle's two OMS engines (Orbital maneuvering system) as well as RCS thrusters uses same type of fuel - Monomethylhydrazine (MMH) as fuel and Dinitrogen tetroxide N2O4 as oxydiser with ratio 1.6 (for each 1.6 volumes of MMH requires 1 unit of N2O4).

4. All engines will have different efficiency at sea level and in vacuum.

More info about this you can find here:

Fuel ratios info - link

OMS engines info - link

RS-25 engines info - link

External Fuel tank - link

Edited by quadro7f

I honestly don´t know what to say to complement you man! Everything that you do is detailed, and impeccably done. IRL, the space shuttle does not interest me one bit..it´s boring, and uncool. YOur iteration of it will definitely be downloaded though. I like the mars habitat landers from the Constellation project better. Any chance that these might be done?

I recently came across a post that discussed pay for modders, and let me tell you, your work is the best argument in favor of compensation. A mod of this quality in any game might cost $40, and honestly, it would be worth it.

This is slightly disheartening as I plan to start 3D myself...I digress however lol. Good job! I recommend that you model the ships from Avatar, and the Habitat landers from the Constellation project by NASA next. Whatever you do, it will be awesome!!!

This shuttle is very interesting Great job very great job. I do hope not to have to by this when its done. It would be worth it but, this is a mod page to share your mods not sell them. I can't wait to see the finished product. Thanx and keep it up!!!

And this is merely the COCKPIT thus far... I eagerly look forwards to the REST of the shuttle....

I'm curious, is the entire cockpit module meant to pop free of the rest of the shuttle in the event things go to hell?

Basic cabins (Mk0 and Mk1) cant do that. Mk1 contains 8 kerbanauts, but its unsafe in case of emergency, so you need EVA them one by one, and hope what parachutes will open (and we dont have them yet, lol). Mk0 is a prototype, similar to early Columbia, with only 2 Kerbanauts, so in case of failure you gonna loose only 2 pilots and its much easier to safe them by EVA trick.

But there will be another type of cabin - MK-S1 (Safe 1). This one contains only 3-5 crewmembers (because of construction), but can save them all. Here is how it works:

015safeShuttle.gif

Plus i thinking about to make an addition optional decoupler between cabin and cargobay. So you could separate any cabin with it, if you like. This is how Buran's safety system works.

I honestly don´t know what to say to complement you man! Everything that you do is detailed, and impeccably done. IRL, the space shuttle does not interest me one bit..it´s boring, and uncool. YOur iteration of it will definitely be downloaded though. I like the mars habitat landers from the Constellation project better. Any chance that these might be done?

I recently came across a post that discussed pay for modders, and let me tell you, your work is the best argument in favor of compensation. A mod of this quality in any game might cost $40, and honestly, it would be worth it.

This is slightly disheartening as I plan to start 3D myself...I digress however lol. Good job! I recommend that you model the ships from Avatar, and the Habitat landers from the Constellation project by NASA next. Whatever you do, it will be awesome!!!

Thanx for support!

About mars habitat landers - are they in this video?:

Btw, here is video where sounds for SRB's gonna be taken from:

And this is how it sounds from external view:

Edited by quadro7f

Good thing reentry friction hasn't been added in yet, or the whole "EVA Emergency Landing" plan would end in a pretty fireball....

Although, I suppose the Kerbalnauts COULD have Orbital Jump Suits like Kirk did in the newest Star Trek.....

dude omg your amazing! the textures and modeling is jaw dropping! idk how squad team has not hired you yet to work purely on new parts *cough* *cough* Keep up the good work! I will keep tracking this until you release! I cant wait for the X-71. It is my favorite variant of the shuttle system. Will you make it so interplanetary travel is possible with the x-71?

Good thing reentry friction hasn't been added in yet, or the whole "EVA Emergency Landing" plan would end in a pretty fireball....

Although, I suppose the Kerbalnauts COULD have Orbital Jump Suits like Kirk did in the newest Star Trek.....

There some similar thing exists for shuttles (on paper), called B-58:

03.25.03.ejection.jpg03.25.03.escape.concept.jpg

But i dont know how to implement this into game. We need multi-command modules support at least.

I'm happy to see such a talented professional modeller such as yourself dedicating time to KSP :) thank you

Thank you. I trying to make this mod as good as posssible. :)

dude omg your amazing! the textures and modeling is jaw dropping! idk how squad team has not hired you yet to work purely on new parts *cough* *cough* Keep up the good work! I will keep tracking this until you release! I cant wait for the X-71. It is my favorite variant of the shuttle system. Will you make it so interplanetary travel is possible with the x-71?

Sure, you could fit your X-71 for interplanetary flights as well, its all depends on your design (same as for classic shuttle), but x-71 is more fits for this role.

Edited by quadro7f

Basic cabins (Mk0 and Mk1) cant do that. Mk1 contains 8 kerbanauts, but its unsafe in case of emergency, so you need EVA them one by one, and hope what parachutes will open (and we dont have them yet, lol). Mk0 is a prototype, similar to early Columbia, with only 2 Kerbanauts, so in case of failure you gonna loose only 2 pilots and its much easier to safe them by EVA trick.

But there will be another type of cabin - MK-S1 (Safe 1). This one contains only 3-5 crewmembers (because of construction), but can save them all. Here is how it works:

015safeShuttle.gif

Plus i thinking about to make an addition optional decoupler between cabin and cargobay. So you could separate any cabin with it, if you like. This is how Buran's safety system works.

Thanx for support!

About mars habitat landers - are they in this video?:

Btw, here is video where sounds for SRB's gonna be taken from:

And this is how it sounds from external view:

Yes, those are exactly the ones that I refer to. I will keep my fingers crossed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.