Hayabusa 2 on its way back to earth

insert_name

44 minutes ago, KG3 said:

If there were a single super Jupiter orbiting in a polar orbit the invariable plane might not be close to any of the objects in the system.

Yeah...

But as the total energy and angular momentum must stay the same,that got to be one hell of an event !

48 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

But it is possible to set a retrograde orbit...

I'm fairly sure it's possible ?

Anyway, back to Ryugu, I guess one reason to choose to flip the image is to synchronize the visual with thermal (infrared, microwave) vision. It tends to be hotter at "afternoon" than at "morning", or at least such is the presumed case !

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, cubinator said:

Honestly, would this even be a problem here? How fast could a free-falling object get before hitting the asteroid from that distance?

Not terribly fast, but what happens if the landing is on one of the ion engines, and it stuffs regolith dust up into the engine? That's be a mission ending accident.

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Not terribly fast, but what happens if the landing is on one of the ion engines, and it stuffs regolith dust up into the engine? That's be a mission ending accident.

I see. Well, they seem to be resolving the issue anyway.

Might be too early to say it but Ryugu's surface looks to have similar properties to Lunar regolith. It's color seems to change depending on the angle of the sun, appearing brown at high sun angles and gray-ish at low sun angles. Probably not too surprising but it's neat!

3 hours ago, KG3 said:

From the pictures I've seen so far it looks like there isn't any material smaller than pea stone.  Will they be able go sample such chunky stuff?  I thought their sampler was set up for very fine stuff.

There's rocks of all sizes there, I'm sure, including lots of those tiny dust particles you don't want to breathe in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.