How do I get a huge asteroid?

Note, I don't ask how to find it. I want to know how I can make sure that the Class E I'm heading for will be super-massive. Looking into the savegame, either I'm missing something, or the asteroid mass is just not there until I grab it (well, it says 150t which is patently wrong). Changing the asteroid''s name will alter the resource density but not the total mass.

Other than trying the RNG until I get lucky, what can I do?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, XtraChrisP said:

Interrogative - what does the DLC do?  Does it have some cool components that tell you the mass of the asteroid before you launch a mission?

The mass and shape of an asteroid are controlled by something called a "seed". The OP asked if there were any way besides getting lucky with a random number generator to set the mass. The DLC provides a way of setting the asteroid seed by hand and viewing the changes instantly. Once you know the seed that gets you the results you want, you can copy that seed into the savegame file. And that will conjure up the same asteroid that you were looking at in the DLC.

Edited by bewing

15 minutes ago, bewing said:

The mass and shape of an asteroid are controlled by something called a "seed". The OP asked if there were any way besides getting lucky with a random number generator to set the mass. The DLC provides a way of setting the asteroid seed by hand and viewing the changes instantly. Once you know the seed that gets you the results you want, you can copy that seed into the savegame file. And that will conjure up the same asteroid that you were looking at in the DLC.

Oooh that's a clever use of the Mission Editor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.