Solar Panels not clickable or working for a large group of mods

Hey guys,

So I spent the brief time I have to play KSP tonight installing and uninstalling mods attempting to figure out what is causing my solar panels to not be clickable or working and I found a ton of mods that are causing this.  IN fact the only ones I have installed right now that allow the solar panels to work are EVE, MechJeb2 and KSP planetary base.   I am not sure if anyone knows of something I can download to correct this to allow me to use these mods?  Or can anyone recommend part mods that do not cause this issue.

I have reinstalled the game and just the ones I mention above,  also I am using CKAN - could this be the issue?

Any help would be appreciated as there are a ton of mods I would like to use. 

Thanks in advance - Dev

1 hour ago, Devinous said:

Hey guys,

So I spent the brief time I have to play KSP tonight installing and uninstalling mods attempting to figure out what is causing my solar panels to not be clickable or working and I found a ton of mods that are causing this.  IN fact the only ones I have installed right now that allow the solar panels to work are EVE, MechJeb2 and KSP planetary base.   I am not sure if anyone knows of something I can download to correct this to allow me to use these mods?  Or can anyone recommend part mods that do not cause this issue.

I have reinstalled the game and just the ones I mention above,  also I am using CKAN - could this be the issue?

Any help would be appreciated as there are a ton of mods I would like to use. 

Thanks in advance - Dev

The only issue I am aware of with solar panels not working properly was in reference to something happening between Kopernicus and the update of the game to 1.4.4.

However the latest version of Kopernicus has been updated to work with the current game version of 1.4.5 and has a patch to make solar panels work properly again....

Is it possible you opened your game after updating from 1.4.3 to 1.4.4 or 1.4.5 but you had not yet updated Kopernicus to match?

In the event you did it is possible your persistent save may be broken (in respect to solar panels). You will need to use a save from before this occuring....

Well actually not,  I just bought this PC and my previous version was the Enhanced on Xbox so I bought the game for PC at version 1.4.5

It really kind of stinks because if I want to play career its really important to be able to recharge the batteries in the early parts of the game.  

Does it happen to stock or modded solar panels or both? When you say 'not clickable' does it mean you cannot click them at all or do you just get an window which say 'aim camera' or anything similar but you cannot retract the panels/don't get any informations about the light source/energy flow?

6 hours ago, Devinous said:

Well actually not,  I just bought this PC and my previous version was the Enhanced on Xbox so I bought the game for PC at version 1.4.5

It really kind of stinks because if I want to play career its really important to be able to recharge the batteries in the early parts of the game.  

Ok well you uninstalled a bunch of mods right? Did you go in your gamedata folder and visually verify the other mods are actually gone?

The only folder (s) that should be present in the Gamedata folder with no mods is "squad" and "squad expansion" (if you have the making history expansion). If you still have Eve Mechjeb and planetary bases those should be there too obviously, but NOTHING else. If there is other stuff in there manually throw it away yourself. 

Except Modulemanager.dll (in case you have module manager installed), but delete the other module manager cfg files if they are in there. The modulemanager.dll will produce fresh ones.

Let me know if you found any extra stuff in the game data folder like I just mentioned, and let us know if getting rid of it fixed the problem....

5 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Does it happen to stock or modded solar panels or both? When you say 'not clickable' does it mean you cannot click them at all or do you just get an window which say 'aim camera' or anything similar but you cannot retract the panels/don't get any informations about the light source/energy flow?

Stock and Mod solar panels  -  I am able to place them but once they are on I am not able to right click them to bring up the box to retract or see the light intensity etc.   This happens inside both the VAB,  Launchpad and in Motion.

1 hour ago, JoE Smash said:

Ok well you uninstalled a bunch of mods right? Did you go in your gamedata folder and visually verify the other mods are actually gone?

The only folder (s) that should be present in the Gamedata folder with no mods is "squad" and "squad expansion" (if you have the making history expansion). If you still have Eve Mechjeb and planetary bases those should be there too obviously, but NOTHING else. If there is other stuff in there manually throw it away yourself. 

Except Modulemanager.dll (in case you have module manager installed), but delete the other module manager cfg files if they are in there. The modulemanager.dll will produce fresh ones.

Let me know if you found any extra stuff in the game data folder like I just mentioned, and let us know if getting rid of it fixed the problem....

For the gamedata folder -  I went in after uninstalling the mods and deleted all folders and data except the squad folder.   Then I started adding back mods one at a time and then tested the solar panels.  I am able to get EVE, MechJeb2 and KSP planetary bases on and still use the solar panels but when I add anything else is when I am not able to right click them or charge my batteries.   I would like to add a screenshot of the mods I used but I don't have anything I can save the screenshot to and then link,  doesn't look like I can paste a snippet to this post.   Below are just a few that when I added each and tested one at a time the solar panels were not clickable or working.

Module manager

Anything USI (Core, exploration pack)

Universal Storage

ScanSat

I tried about 7 or so before I just decided to play with the 3 I can use.     

Testing process

1) add a mod with the 3 I mentioned above installed

2) test and failed

3) removed new mod

4) tested with just the 3 and it would work

5) Repeat step one with a different mod

Edited by Devinous

19 minutes ago, Devinous said:

Stock and Mod solar panels  -  I am able to place them but once they are on I am not able to right click them to bring up the box to retract or see the light intensity etc.   This happens inside both the VAB,  Launchpad and in Motion.

For the gamedata folder -  I went in after uninstalling the mods and deleted all folders and data except the squad folder.   Then I started adding back mods one at a time and then tested the solar panels.  I am able to get EVE, MechJeb2 and KSP planetary bases on and still use the solar panels but when I add anything else is when I am not able to right click them or charge my batteries.   I would like to add a screenshot of the mods I used but I don't have anything I can save the screenshot to and then link,  doesn't look like I can paste a snippet to this post.   Below are just a few that when I added each and tested one at a time the solar panels were not clickable or working.

Module manager

Anything USI (Core, exploration pack)

Universal Storage

ScanSat

I tried about 7 or so before I just decided to play with the 3 I can use.     

Testing process

2) test and failed

3) removed new mod

This is the damnedest thing I have ever heard of.

is it doing it on a new save game or are you only using an old save?

You also deleted the whole game at one point and reinstalled the whole game too right (not just the mods)?

How are you launching the game? Launcher? Steam? CKAN? Shortcut? 32bit or 64bit? Linux?

This defies logic....

How much ram do you have?

Graphics card?

What OS are you using? is it 64bit or 32bit?

Are you using launch commands on a shortcut like -force-d3d11 or -force-opengl?

Edited by JoE Smash

15 minutes ago, Devinous said:

Testing process

2) test and failed

3) removed new mod

Well, that's very odd...

Please repeat your test with any other mod which will break the solar panels and upload a log file. Your KSP.log, located in your KSP install directory or your output_log.txt located in a tricky spot...take a look in this thread, the locations for every OS are listed there:

Please upload the whole log to a filesharing website and post a download link, don't copy&paste the log in your post.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply.  It turned out to be module manager.  I removed all mods and only added EVE and Boulderco, plantetary base and mechjeb - panels work fine.  Added module manager and they stop working. Checked solar panels Cfg file and I noticed retractable is set to false but changing it to true does nothing.  Also I don’t believe this will fix them not collecting energy.  Without module manager I’m stuck with only the few mods you see above which sucks.   Also when I did some googling I find that kopernicus is the issue for others having this problem with module manager and they delete a media file and solar panels start working.  Problem with that is I’ve never used kopernicus - don’t even have a folder for it.  

Bah - the whole thing sucks lol would love to use KIS and KAS but without module manager they do not work.  

Ill pull some logs like you asked above tomorrow.  I have a feeling it’s something with the code and I’m definitely not the one that should try fixing anything newer than basica :)

Edited by Devinous

Logs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/acikxks168gxba5/output_log.txt?dl=0

I am using the latest version of Mod Manager 3.0.7, tried 6 also and no go.    So I installed Kopernicus and guess what?  They start working,   the problem with that is it makes all my planets look like one color blobs.   So here are my choices so far - green and grey blobs for planets and I get to use 95% of the cool mods out there or really cool looking planets and I get to use about 3 to 4 mods.

I also removed all folders that mods where not using,  uninstalled all mods,  add mod manager - issue persists,  add green blob kopernicus and the issue is resolved.   I did a integrity check with Steam and it did find one issue and fixed it but still no go.

I dont think its the computer unless its because its too new,  as its only a week old.   As far as power goes I doubt thats it either -  Alienware Aurora R7 i7-8600 6 core 3.2 g,  Intel optane 16gig 2666, and a Nvidia 1070 8gb ddr 4 with all updates (direct x 11 or 12 beta)

I hope these logs are useful, I dont get alot of game time and I spent the last weeks worth trying to get this to work and at this point its really frustrating.  Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Edited by Devinous

Have you tried to install this mod at any time?

Look, there is this path in your log:

Squad/GEA V7M1/Kopernicus/Config/System/Kerbol System

And this path tells me: You, anyone else or CKAN tried to install the linked mod but messed up the folder structure. the GEA mod is bundled with kopernicus, so ModuleManager tries to apply the patches for the solar panels but kopernicus does not run properly (or at all).

Remove the folder 'GEA V7M1' from your Squad folder and you should be fine again.

Junior Rocket Scientist my a$$.... LOL ok so I couldn't delete the whole folder because I am using EVE clouds and boulderCO sits in there so I dropped the kopernicus folder which holds the solarpanel.cfg file and BAM it works!!!!

Thanks a ton man - seriously.   I have wasted at least 8 hours this week trying to figure this out.   You are the absolute best!

20 minutes ago, Devinous said:

I couldn't delete the whole folder because I am using EVE clouds and boulderCO sits in there

But...GEA provides clouds as well, why do you want to use both mods? Mod folder don't belong into any other folder than 'GameData', if you install them anywhere else, the mod will not work properly.

23 minutes ago, Devinous said:

Thanks a ton man - seriously.   I have wasted at least 8 hours this week trying to figure this out.   You are the absolute best!

You're welcome ;)

That's actually the reason why everyone who needs help should add a log file right in the first post...it'll save a lot of time ;)

8 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

But...GEA provides clouds as well, why do you want to use both mods? Mod folder don't belong into any other folder than 'GameData', if you install them anywhere else, the mod will not work properly.

You're welcome ;)

That's actually the reason why everyone who needs help should add a log file right in the first post...it'll save a lot of time ;)

Yeah what he said, @Devinous....

No mods belong IN your SQUAD folder.

They go along side SQUAD in the GAMEDATA folder.

Everything in that GEA folder he told you to delete is in the WRONG location an is going to continue to bork your game....

Delete GEA and then install GEA properly and in the correct location if you wish to use it....

You can install EVE and clouds a number of ways, like stock visual enhancements, astronomer's visual enhancements, just EVE but with it's configs, or the sci-fi visual enhancements if your computer is a potato or you are running a ton of other big mods like I am....

The visual mods that are not just EVE say to install EVE, but not it's configs because the other mods are providing their own set of cloud configs that need the EVE mod plugins to run them, but not EVE's config files for EVE's default style of cloud layers....most visual mods tweak the clouds and add different cloud layers than EVE's default cloud configs....

You shouldn't have two different instances of visual mod config files....

The bottom line is whichever you choose it has to go in the CORRECT location....which IS NOT your Squad folder....

And you've already deleted some stuff and not others so your GEA install is already a disaster.

Delete the rest of the GEA folder and start over (not your game I mean installing the mods you want), and install stuff properly....

Edited by JoE Smash

• 11 months later...
On 8/10/2018 at 3:32 PM, JoE Smash said:

This is the damnedest thing I have ever heard of.

Damndest thing indeed.  I'm making a mod, at present, and only *one* part does not work, but when I take the models from other parts I've made, it works.  If I try using any model made after the time I made its model, it is unclickable.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.