Ksp mobile

8 minutes ago, dogeGAMr said:

A ksp mobile game or even just a rocket designer it’s been talked about sense 2012

The first is never going to happen. Phones just do not have the processing power required to run KSP, and there really isn't a way to get around that. The small profile restricts what's possible with the device, due to limits on the size of a transistor and because of cooling (or lack thereof). Also, a typical phone touchscreen doesn't have enough room to fit enough buttons to permit the playing of KSP. It's easier to list the keys on a standard QWERTY keyboard that KSP doesn't use than it is to list the ones it does. The second suffers from many of the same problems, considering the complexity of the editor controls (and there really is complexity in there), as well as the amount of KSP that you'd have to port, and difficulties getting files to and from the phone. Oh, and the craft designer would be worthless for modded installs, as well as career and science mode, and you'd have problems dealing with Making History. I can't think of a workable mechanism for pointing the designer at a KSP install on some remote machine, which makes it a bit difficult to use.

Oh, and the demand among the playerbase just isn't high enough to make an enormous project like this one worth it to the devs. The number of people who've said "Oh, I wish I could play KSP, but I only own a phone" is not very high.

Though running KSP as a whole on a phone is nigh impossible in today's technology, that isn't what most people want anyway. We already have Spaceflight Simulator 2013, and Simple Rockets that both mimic KSP's lego rocket building style on a phone. Making KSP to compete with them is a silly idea as a whole. However, as the OP mentioned, a rocket builder or something similar, would be quite neat in my opinion. Having a simple part menu and a way to connect parts in a 3D environment is not as extreme as having to manage to complete complex physical calculations.

If that is beyond the capability of phones, then there's still many, many alternatives. Here are just a few that I can think of just off the top of my head- on the go KSPedia app, On the go mission builder (MH Only), On the go contract creator, an app with training mini games (so you can level up your crew outside of missions). These are just off the top of my head. I'm certain with more time and consideration I could up with more. Though I have no idea if any are actually desirable.

6 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Having a simple part menu

If I'm using a rocket builder stand alone app (Pc or mobile), there's no way I'd want a 'simple' app.  If I'm taking the time to work on a design outside of the KSP environment, I'm going all out trying to design a difficult rocket.  I'm going to need every trick in the book.   And I don't see it being that feasible in a mobile environment.  If the app is fully functional though, and user friendly, it might work.  But then I'm going to want to test the design, and repeatedly.   And that won't be possible for some time on mobile. 

So having a fully functional standalone editor is nice, but completely useless.   If I build a rocket that is kinda complex, it will require testing.  And a simple design that really wouldn't need much testing, then I'm not going to need a mobile editor to build it, I can throw it together in 5 minutes once KSP boots up. 

11 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Though running KSP as a whole on a phone is nigh impossible in today's technology, that isn't what most people want anyway. We already have Spaceflight Simulator 2013, and Simple Rockets that both mimic KSP's lego rocket building style on a phone. Making KSP to compete with them is a silly idea as a whole. However, as the OP mentioned, a rocket builder or something similar, would be quite neat in my opinion. Having a simple part menu and a way to connect parts in a 3D environment is not as extreme as having to manage to complete complex physical calculations.

If that is beyond the capability of phones, then there's still many, many alternatives. Here are just a few that I can think of just off the top of my head- on the go KSPedia app, On the go mission builder (MH Only), On the go contract creator, an app with training mini games (so you can level up your crew outside of missions). These are just off the top of my head. I'm certain with more time and consideration I could up with more. Though I have no idea if any are actually desirable.

The examples here sound much more feasible and may be worth a try, I know of at least 1 game that I play, which is Far Cry 3, that there is a useful app in which u can edit ur co-op character equipment, run the time consuming process of decoding data storage devices that u get after each level and I think even collect more of the minor ones by solving puzzles in the app, if I remember correctly. I've often used it parallel to playing or when I was away from my PC.

I think a similar app for KSP that lets u do things that contribute to ur actual gameplay would be a managable task and a nice way to connect the game and the player's phone. It would probably require a connection to some account so everyone can access their own game data from the phone, but I think there's quite alot of useful things that can be done, mission planning for example.

Lets just say ur sittin' somewhere in a café and waiting for a train, planning ur exact maneuvers using the familiar map of the Kerbol system and whatever else may be required for mission planning. The result would be the EXACT value of delta-V required for this particular flight pattern, u could see wether the maneuver needs to be executed quickly with a powerful engine or can be done over time with an ion engine and probably much more that a notorius N00B like me doesn't even think of. Back at ur PC u can get building according to the exact values resulting from the plan made in the app. That wouldn't even require a connection to the actual game AND it would be mod-friendly.

These are just my 2 cents on the topic and what I think would be the most useful purpose of an app that goes with KSP.

• 2 weeks later...

Just get simplerockets 2 when it comes out for mobile:P

Oh and @DualDesertEaglei really like your idea of a companion app rather then just a mobile version, because sometimes i reeaally want to play ksp but im away from my computer. The idea of planning your maneuvers is a great idea. In addition, I think you should start from orbit to avoid confusion.

Just my oppinion

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.