ipad

scouseyank

I can play it on my iPad using Splashtop. Granted, I'm streaming it from my computer but the graphics and sound are top notch. Also, this is on my wireless network. Not exactly what the op meant, but it IS pretty nice to sit out on my back deck and play without dragging my computer out there. As a bonus, I can access anything else on my computer as well.

Someone else mentioned it was a toy and I agree. They're easy to use and locked down so that it's easier for kids and old people to use them. Heck I'd even take an android tablet over an iPad. At least android is more customizable and has more apps for real productivity and isn't always behind the curve. First choice is definitely a Surface Pro though. Hard to beat a full blown OS tablet.

Surface is too heavy. Also I'm typing this on an ipad

• 2 weeks later...

The newiest iPads could. Withthe A9 processor wich the newiest iPads should have it could run. It is rumored That the A9 will have the same processing power as a early 2012 Mac book air. But you would need a bluetooth keyboard to control KSP.

- - - Updated - - -

Ever since this thread was started the ipad CPU performance has gone up 1000% and graphics has gone up 1800%. The iPad 2 had these specs

CPU A5 1Ghz dual core

GPU core clock 300MHz

Ram 512MB

The latest iPad

CPU A8X 1.5GHz triple core

GPU core Clock 8 core 450MHz with metal API support

Ram 2GB

The newiest iPads could. Withthe A9 processor wich the newiest iPads should have it could run. It is rumored That the A9 will have the same processing power as a early 2012 Mac book air. But you would need a bluetooth keyboard to control KSP.

- - - Updated - - -

Ever since this thread was started the ipad CPU performance has gone up 1000% and graphics has gone up 1800%. The iPad 2 had these specs

CPU A5 1Ghz dual core

GPU core clock 300MHz

Ram 512MB

The latest iPad

CPU A8X 1.5GHz triple core

GPU core Clock 8 core 450MHz with metal API support

Ram 2GB

Isn't Apple incredibly reluctant to harm their margins when installing extra memory of any kind? The Air 2 only just recently added 1GB of ram. It might be 3-4 more revisions (maybe more?) before they would think about expanding that I'd guess.

I tried KSP on my Surface Pro 3 (i5 version). It worked, but even the small Kerbal X gave me 100% yellow time, while i played on this cancer inducing settings:

Resolution: 1080*720 (1/4 of the surfaces pixels)

Everything else on minimum, only AA on 2x (otherwise my eyes would melt)

The i5 4300U of the Surface is way, way stronger than anything an ipad could have in the next years, so even with Unity 5 it would propably run at about 10 fps at minium settings with reduced resolution.

That is my home computer. It runs at 3.2ghz with an amd Radeon HD 6450 and 4gb ram. After you pass 20 parts it runs at 1sec kerbal time for every 3 sec. It may be your intergrated graphics or cpu bottleneck.

- - - Updated - - -

My computer runs like that with all settings at their lowest

Here is your surface pro 3 I5 benchmark

Single-Core Score 2448 Multi-Core Score 4883

The iPad Air 2 is 1808 single core And 4526 multi core. So if Apple brings up the specs by 40% like they did last year. iPads will be faster than an i5 surface pro 3

All benchmarks are from Geekbench 3

- - - Updated - - -

Also when KSP 1.1 comes out it will support multi-core processing so everyone with devices that have multiple cores will preform better

Acording to the Futuremark Ice Storm Unlimited Physics Score its 10000 points vs. 32000 points. The ipad cant get faster than the surface since it will only use a passive cooled processor, so with those thermal limits it wont beat the current surface until maybe 7nm in 2018...

Also it is complety impossible to compare the Wii U Specs with anything else since it uses a CPU architecture that isnt used by other product since years...

You can compare them. It might not be like for like but you can compare. For example I can compare the ancient hardware in a wii u to Intel skylake and say skylake is much more powerful despite a different architecture. It works because we are measuring the end result, in this example instructions over a given period or compute performance. We don't care how they achieve it we care about the measured results.

My phone can process more information than the Wii U and has more RAM etc, therefore if they can get KSP to run on a Wii U it's plausible they could also make it run on my phone or equivalent laptop/tablet.

Saying that I'm envisaging a 2D version of KSP for the Wii U. Kerbin will be like a side scrolling world, meaning you can only fly the equator.

Space will be top down, so just equatorial orbits for ships, planets and moons. You won't need map mode you will just scroll in and out in space mode.

Edited by uglyduckling81

Xbox, PS4, WiiU... at the current rate, I expect the iPad version to be announced at the end of September. And the Atari 2600 version around Christmas.

I've pre-ordered the 2600 version ; I hope they support bank switching right out of the box. I'd hate to be stuck with 128 bytes of main ram+4kb of cartridge space.. I have a lot of graphics-heavy mods waiting!

I agree with Moach.

Apple, just like YouTube, puts producers in a position just as inferior as that of the consumers. Bureaucracy is incredible, human contact is virtually nonexistent, very stringent guidelines, and if you have a connection to the inside then you are really lucky...

Not to mention that iPads aren't really number-crunchers (aka computers). They just show some colorful squares and phone home based on where you tap, and a GPU in case you want to show some prettier stuff. The rest of the calculations are dependent on the cloud. So you could call the iPad just an interface to a wide variety of APIs.

Sure you could "spin off" the main KSP game, but there is no way to cram aerodynamics model, an open world, 23 celestial bodies, an advanced particle system, a full-fledged hangar, and a KSC that doesn't look like something from 0.15.

I'm expecting the KSP happy meal to be out by next year.. :sticktongue:

KSP Happy Meals ? Great publicity opportunity there!

You're slacking Max... Get onto it right away...

I can just see little plastic Jebs and Vals covered in ketchup, and looking like they had a fight over who plants the flag:)

You will need to hop on over to the Orbiter Forums or pretty much anywhere other than here if you want to get a message to the KSP dev team with your ideas.

The iPads come out in less than 24hrs. I wonder if there will be an iPad pro. My iPad mini 1st gen renders beter than my home computer and I play some of the same games on it. Hey for controls you could use a bluetooth keyboard, you can get one for about $15. Anyways when did the WiiU come out? Aerodynamics can be computed on iPads. if you are thinking about the iPad 2 it wouldn't run KSP only devices with A8 processor or later. And with the new Mac OS you can support 8k textures but you need to use metal.

The idea was that you could buy the keyboard to play it like a PC, but it would have UI controls also.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah Apple also has lots of tools for developers like, model I/O, gameplay kit, SceneKit, and metal. Watch the WWDC video on multitasking th see how to reduce Ram usage.

- - - Updated - - -

Or accelerometer gyroscope controls.

- - - Updated - - -

Performance may not be an issue because my home PC is a pentium D 940 3.2GHz and the AMD Sempron 3850 1.3GHz gets almost twice the benchmarks according to passmark.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.