Sleep disorders and science? Can someone recommend good natural stimulant

Pawelk198604

Cafeine won't help you.

You'll get a rush,  but it won't make you "un-tired".

Best way is to go forward with your daily tasks like usual, and don't think to much about your sleep deprivation. Your body will adapt itself quite rapidly once you're being a busy bee at work. Just take your 8 hours tonight and you'll be fine. Good luck at work! :)

25 minutes ago, Dutchbook said:

Cafeine won't help you.

You'll get a rush,  but it won't make you "un-tired".

Best way is to go forward with your daily tasks like usual, and don't think to much about your sleep deprivation. Your body will adapt itself quite rapidly once you're being a busy bee at work. Just take your 8 hours tonight and you'll be fine. Good luck at work! :)

Usually, when I cannot sleep I play games usually Europa Universalis 4 or our beloved KSP  

Yesterday I played the first episode of Life is Strange from 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM and sleep  like a baby later  

Edited by Pawelk198604

2 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

I could not sleep and I need to go to work

well, zombie mode on...

idk but some say if you feel you can't sleep yet just get yourself even more tired to the point you just sleep when you hit the bed.

Try playing some sort of calming, ambient sound in your bedroom at night. On YT there are numerous, several hours long files of rain, sea waves, train wheels etc. When i was commuting to school by train, steady rhythm of the wheels always made me sleep like baby :D

I drove trucks long distance for 20 years and suffered with sleeping problems since I started working.  Most of my working day was non physical, boring and repetitive and to wind down I would play games that stimulated my mind and kept me awake.  Rather than a stimulant I would suggest chamomile tea or warm milk an hour or so before you want to sleep, save your game and hit the sack.  You play better when your serotonin has been replenished anyway.

2 hours ago, YNM said:

well, zombie mode on...

idk but some say if you feel you can't sleep yet just get yourself even more tired to the point you just sleep when you hit the bed.

I do not know, I also have Asperger's Syndrome, my work is largely based on physical work, I wash the dishes and I have to do it at a high pace, meanwhile I need an intellectually challenging job, I'm a bit careless at work, because every now and then I break the glass :-)

In the meantime, I often hear one colleague who is quite cultural, he swears he must fill his loveing spreadsheet, meanwhile, I would be happy to replace him ;-)

I love to play computer games that require above average intelligence such our beloved Kerbal Space Progrogram: D Is Europa Universalis 4 in which I played yesterday when I could not sleep because my back hurt and I wanted to do something that is an intellectual challenge.

I would be happy to help my friend who is the deputy manager, at Excell but I have a goofy reputation

I even had this shown on my IQ test when I was a kid, on manual part IQ I sucked while on match I was super cool, xD

2 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

meanwhile I need an intellectually challenging job

idk, just try doing something that makes you tired of thinking then if you feel so.

Or you can just drink milk before sleep time, as James Kerman said.

6 hours ago, YNM said:

idk, just try doing something that makes you tired of thinking then if you feel so.

Or you can just drink milk before sleep time, as James Kerman said.

Does that even work? If it's just a cultural conditioning, then it will likely not work for us, Poles. :) "Drink warm milk" is not really part of our cultural wisdom. Eat only light supper. Air well your bedroom before sleep. Count sheep to fall asleep quicker. Those are folk remedies for insomnia our grandmas and moms bestow on us.

As for morning kickstart for a drowsy mind and body - well, usually it's lukewarm shower, followed by a good, hearty breakfast washed down with strong tea or cocoa. But really, you must rely on environmental stimuli and your own willpower to combat mid-day sleepiness, i'm afraid :D Once i managed to stay on my feet for 36 very active hours straight (nightshift at work, followed immediately by a full day in school, followed immediately by afternoon spent in various offices and stores). Surprisingly i was still coherent and not really all that tired - but i went to bed early, knowing any delay will only make things worse. I was right - i slept for 16 hours straight and woke up stiff and achy, feeling like roadkill :P So, not something i would endorse to anyone. Sleep deprivation is nothing to laugh at.

1 hour ago, Scotius said:

Does that even work? If it's just a cultural conditioning, then it will likely not work for us, Poles. :) "Drink warm milk" is not really part of our cultural wisdom. Eat only light supper. Air well your bedroom before sleep. Count sheep to fall asleep quicker. Those are folk remedies for insomnia our grandmas and moms bestow on us.

As for morning kickstart for a drowsy mind and body - well, usually it's lukewarm shower, followed by a good, hearty breakfast washed down with strong tea or cocoa. But really, you must rely on environmental stimuli and your own willpower to combat mid-day sleepiness, i'm afraid :D Once i managed to stay on my feet for 36 very active hours straight (nightshift at work, followed immediately by a full day in school, followed immediately by afternoon spent in various offices and stores). Surprisingly i was still coherent and not really all that tired - but i went to bed early, knowing any delay will only make things worse. I was right - i slept for 16 hours straight and woke up stiff and achy, feeling like roadkill :P So, not something i would endorse to anyone. Sleep deprivation is nothing to laugh at.

Thanks, I works in confectioneries/café near Wroclaw I had really hard to find a job is a manual job, I feel a bit overqualified for it (I would prefer works with a computer or IT department, but stills thank God and nice people from organization for disabled people here in Wroclaw, helped me finding me that job is bit problem if you had Asperger even if mine is mild and net salary of almost 1700  PLN  is pretty good too actually, I would hate if they sack me off

I have a standard 3-month trial contract, I would like to have a normal 6 or 12-month employment contract after I finish it, if I do not renew my contract, I will be liquided off, but I will be liquided off only for myself that I could not

2 hours ago, Scotius said:

Does that even work?

I'm getting conflicting answers online regarding warm milk.  The amino acid tryptophan is present in milk however it is most likely a psychological effect.

What people don’t always realize is that ingesting things like tryptophan, serotonin, and melatonin aren’t likely to have a noticeable effect on sleep. The reason is that these compounds stay in our bloodstream, and don’t typically cross the blood-brain barrier. In order to induce sleep, these amino acids and hormones would have to enter our brain.

Their is a trick to prompt tryptophan to enter the brain. If you combine carbohydrates with dairy, it will increase your insulin levels, which makes it easier for tryptophan to get to your brain. Milk and cookies sound delicious, although sugar right before bed probably isn’t the most genius idea.

https://www.sleepadvisor.org/warm-milk-sleep/

Chamomile Tea, on the other hand has been studied and the effects are positive in assisting sleep.

In fact, chamomile is commonly regarded as a mild tranquilizer or sleep inducer.

Its calming effects may be attributed to an antioxidant called apigenin, which is found in abundance in chamomile tea. Apigenin binds to specific receptors in your brain that may decrease anxiety and initiate sleep.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/teas-that-help-you-sleep#section1

They both work well for me

Edited by James Kerman
Added info

5 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

What about melatonin does is works? 

It seems to:

Conclusion

This meta-analysis demonstrates that melatonin decreases sleep onset latency, increases total sleep time and improves overall sleep quality. The effects of melatonin on sleep are modest but do not appear to dissipate with continued melatonin use. Although the absolute benefit of melatonin compared to placebo is smaller than other pharmacological treatments for insomnia, melatonin may have a role in the treatment of insomnia given its relatively benign side-effect profile compared to these agents.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0063773

I use lavender in my herbal vaporizer for when I cant fall asleep. Works nice for me.

Valerian is almost too strong for me, and it has a horrible smell. But it is definitely very potent, it can quench panic/anxiety attacks for me. Almost feels like a synthetic drug, a tranquilizer pill or something like that. I only use it in severe cases.

Usually lavender does the trick for me. Few puffs from my vape and I am good. Tastes nice too. Camomille is nice as well.

I dont know about natural (what does "natural" mean anyhow? Some of the most toxic things on Earth are "natural") but "Modafinil" (Diphenylmethylsulfinylacetamide) is something that works. Actually termed a "cognitive enhancer", it stimulates without generating a rush/jitters and without a crash afterwards, it has also been tested in huge doses (for military pilots on long-endurance missions) with few side effects. It is available over the counter in most countries. It is one of the more benign pharmaceuticals out there, otherwise I would never mention it in this context.

But of course this is for information only, and you should NEVER TAKE MEDICAL ADVICE - NATURAL OR NOT - FROM THE INTERNET, without at least robustly corroborating it from more reliable sources, such as an actual doctor.

Edited by p1t1o

37 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Modafinil

Provigil.

TBH I'd prefer not using any kind of things that's purposefully altering the state of mind. Or at least I'd get it off something that's normally available (anything but a pill or concentrate or smoking).

________

19 hours ago, James Kerman said:

melatonin aren’t likely to have a noticeable effect on sleep.

19 hours ago, James Kerman said:

melatonin decreases sleep onset latency, increases total sleep time and improves overall sleep quality.

Two different things there...

1 hour ago, YNM said:

TBH I'd prefer not using any kind of things that's purposefully altering the state of mind.

You want to stay awake without altering your state of mind? I dont think those two things go together

Then the only answer is more sleep - or more accurately (as quantity of sleep does not always equal magnitude of rest) a better managed sleep/wake cycle.

I think we all know how harmful late night computer games are to a healthy sleep pattern! :D

1 hour ago, YNM said:

Or at least I'd get it off something that's normally available (anything but a pill or concentrate or smoking).

The only thing left I can think of is...chewing leaves? Very old skool.

24 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

The only thing left I can think of is...chewing leaves?

coffee or tea or milk or whatever. (not alcohol as well btw.)

25 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Then the only answer is more sleep - or more accurately (as quantity of sleep does not always equal magnitude of rest) a better managed sleep/wake cycle.

Yeah. That's the primary way.

Some also say if you already exhausted you'll sleep easier.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.