Does Commnet allow multihop connections?

I'm away on business for a couple of weeks so I can't test this out on my PC but I've been thinking of a mission outline that relies on proper usage of Commnet.

Let's say I have:

1. a rover on Ike with a Communotron 16 (Ike surface facing away from Duna, but in LoS of Ike relay),
  2. a 2 satellite highly elliptical relay with HG-5 around Ike (no LoS to Kerbin but LoS to Duna relay) , and
  3. a 3 satellite equatorial relay with RA-15 or RA-100 around Duna (LoS to Ike relay and Kerbin)

Does the default Commnet allow the rover on Ike to be controlled on the surface, with the signal bouncing from Kerbin-->Duna relay-->Ike relay-->Ike rover? Or do I need to have a relay in Ike orbit capable of reaching Kerbin?

Here's what I quickly threw together to illustrate my question:

uTz2z9v.png

On a side note, would Remotetech allow this connection (signal from point A to B to C and then finally to D, or even further to E), given the appropriate omni and dish antennae?

On 1/23/2019 at 1:07 PM, iFlyAllTheTime said:

Does the default Commnet allow the rover on Ike to be controlled on the surface, with the signal bouncing from Kerbin-->Duna relay-->Ike relay-->Ike rover?

Yes.  That is, indeed, the whole point of the "relay" antennas in KSP. ;)

I mean, if multi-hop wasn't a thing, there wouldn't be any distinction between a relay antenna like the RA-100 and a direct antenna like the Communotron 88-88.

15 hours ago, Snark said:

Yes.  That is, indeed, the whole point of the "relay" antennas in KSP. ;)

I mean, if multi-hop wasn't a thing, there wouldn't be any distinction between a relay antenna like the RA-100 and a direct antenna like the Communotron 88-88.

Okay.:blush:

I don't know why but I was incorrectly thinking the range calculation only ever takes into account your current vessel and another one, which needs to be a relay. So I didn't think that that relay would be able to connect to a third relay, which then connects to Kerbin.

Thank you:)

Edit: On a side-note, any idea why I cannot hit the "Like" button on posts?

Edited by iFlyAllTheTime

4 hours ago, iFlyAllTheTime said:

On a side-note, any idea why I cannot hit the "Like" button on posts?

Too much love.  (You can only 'like' a certain number of things per day and have probably reached your limit)

On 1/25/2019 at 1:08 PM, GoatRider said:

Check out this 6 hop relay to my lander on Pol:

NFUgWOW.png

That is glorious!:D

I can't wait to launch the network and the rover!

Thank you for screenshot :)

On 1/25/2019 at 3:57 PM, Pecan said:

Too much love.  (You can only 'like' a certain number of things per day and have probably reached your limit)

Yay! I was able to! Maybe it was just the browser...

anywho... Thanks.

Edited by iFlyAllTheTime
Gratitude

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.