History and Parts Pack and Free Update Delayed

UomoCapra

2 hours ago, razark said:

You're right.  Absolutely right.

So, what's the solution?

A. Time machine

B. Release crap now

C. Release working version later

Pick the one answer that's not going to anger a significant section of the community.

But this happens all the time I don't think they should give a release date until they know the game works correctly because crap like this always happens and we are prob going to have to wait months until it comes out. This happens way way too much

1 minute ago, dr.phees said:

I would suggest: Until it is released. That will be the most effective kind of waiting.

Yes, I second this. Unfortunately people are just seeing this whole thing as a big screw up (they're just delaying it to fix some bugs, but they would still complain about those bugs if they released it on the 21st as planned).

You can never satisfy a community with your content, and while I do acknowledge that the year long wait was incredibly unfortunate, porting a game to console and developing it with a small team is actually kinda difficult

2 minutes ago, dr.phees said:

I would suggest: Until it is released. That will be the most effective kind of waiting.

Damn I thought that the kind of waiting I was doing was the effective kind. Now I find out that there is an even more effective....!?  Now let me ask, when is it gonna be released? And why did you not do the most effective kind of waiting? 

1 hour ago, Armymann17 said:

B. Release it now

I mean come on we haven’t gotten an update for so long why can’t we at least try to play the new version and give feedback on what you need to fix

If they released in it's current state people would have complained how it was buggy, didn't work properly and how it was a waste of time and money.

I've learned a long time ago that some people can never be satisfied and will always find something to complain about.

5 minutes ago, Lein Armweek said:

Damn I thought that the kind of waiting I was doing was the effective kind. Now I find out that there is an even more effective....!?  Now let me ask, when is it gonna be released? And why did you not do the most effective kind of waiting? 

I do an even more efficient thing. I don't wait for it. I will check in a few days, and if it is not released by then, a few days more. It will be released at some point and then I will download it. :)

Edited by dr.phees

4 minutes ago, T1mo98 said:

If they released in it's current state people would have complained how it was buggy, didn't work properly and how it was a waste of time and money.

I've learned a long time ago that some people can never be satisfied and will always find something to complain about.

Same. For a developer, this can be really hard. People don't realise the struggle, they only care about the results. And if the results are even a slight bit off, they're up in arms about it

1 hour ago, Armymann17 said:

B. Release it now

I mean come on we haven’t gotten an update for so long why can’t we at least try to play the new version and give feedback on what you need to fix

Because a Console release costs money. Some serious money, as I had read about (your mileage may vary, but I don't believe "Indie game" is applicable to KSP anymore since TTI has bought it).

If its unavoidable to have people complaining on you, at least do it in the less expensive way. ;-)

3 hours ago, dr.phees said:

I do an even more efficient thing. I don't wait for it. I will check in a few days, and if it is not released by then, a few days more. It will be released at some point and then I will download it. :)

Wow your effectiveness astonished me. [snip]  Your know what's also effective? Pressure. 

Edited by Gargamel
Portions Redacted By Moderator.

3 hours ago, Lein Armweek said:

Wow your effectiveness astonished me. [snip]  Your know what's also effective? Pressure. 

And pressuring the devs isn't really a good idea... 

3 hours ago, Jeremiah said:

Should've delayed the original console version, too. Glad you're learning from your mistakes.

They are. By delaying the update to fix things and then releasing it, to prevent the outcry of people who complain about the bugs. But unfortunately that produces a new outcry of people complaining about the delay

Edited by Gargamel

21 minutes ago, Lein Armweek said:

Pressure.  

Haha. Oh, come on...

Well, I am out of here for now. Have fun waiting pressing.

Edit: I have not been too active in this forum for a while, but it was always a good place with friendly people. Sadly it seems to have shifted a bit. Luckily the friendlies are still here. Let's stick together :)

Edited by dr.phees

5 minutes ago, Lein Armweek said:

Sounds to me like you are the guy who teaches effectiveness to the developers, cus that's the exact way they thing about it. 

2 minutes ago, Lein Armweek said:

Sounds to me like you are the guy who teaches effectiveness to the developers, cus that's the exact way they thing about it. 

Are you saying that people who are defending the devs or something are working for them or are devs? 

Edited by The_Cat_In_Space

3 hours ago, Lein Armweek said:

Not, it's not. I want to share a small history to you guys, fresh on, right from the trenches. :D 

Client needed a feature urgently. A feature that wasn't working correctly because it wasn't implemented, besides them giving us the "green flag" and accepted the delivery (the whole product was rushed into production, and we borked on that feature - we just had forgotten about, we gave them a release in 25% of the time we are used to do normally!).

Ok. Both parties borked on this one,. But guess what? They really needed that feature, as they already put that in production and they had a whole parking lot of trucks waiting for the permission that the feature was expected to get.

Well, we tried to argue that making a hot deploy like that with fresh code was dangerous, etc, etc, etc. But they told us that they were loosing money, and it was best for them to avoid another day of losses.

Great. We worked in a rush, and managed to get that feature working fine to the end of the day. The deploy was done 45 minutes before the deadline when the trucks would had to sleep another night on the parking lot.

Success! Or near it.

Next day I was waked by a phone call. Do you know that feature we rushed into production? It was working fine. But it was the only thing working fine - all the rest were kaput. Just like that.

It was a small, idiotic, mistake on a critical code that I had to change in order to shove the new feature on the system - but since we were in a rush to meet an almost impossible deadline, we didn't had the time to run any tests but the one for the feature needed. But they only lose a morning, and the piled tasks could be executed on lunch time.

But yet… That caused some unneeded trouble for a lot of people.

The bottom line? Pressure only works when the problem is laziness. You can't push more pressure on a already pressured system without blowing things.

Edited by Gargamel

5 hours ago, pooplol629 said:

can we get frequent updates on the matter maybe some context on what happened in more detail as you guys try to figure it out? maybe see if the community can help

It would be great if Squad actually did this but I doubt it.

Just now, sicko kerman said:

If movies were months long lol

We do not know that. You can always binge watch some KSP series (Interstellar Quest kept me happy for about 2 months), or try making your own game, etc

1 minute ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

We do not know that. You can always binge watch some KSP series (Interstellar Quest kept me happy for about 2 months), or try making your own game, etc

I wish it wouldn't take so long I played some KSP this morning for like 30 mins but got kinda bored still patiently waiting for an answer on this update. Hopefully Matt Lowne uploads something soon

1 hour ago, sicko kerman said:

I wish it wouldn't take so long I played some KSP this morning for like 30 mins but got kinda bored still patiently waiting for an answer on this update. Hopefully Matt Lowne uploads something soon

His next video should be out by Saturday/Sunday I think. He finished his setup in the last video so there's no reason that there shouldn't be any content

22 minutes ago, KosmoNot79 said:

His next video should be out by Saturday/Sunday I think. He finished his setup in the last video so there's no reason that there shouldn't be any content

Except for the the fact that people want to watch his vids lol