high speed air craft

HIGH SPEED ATMOSPHERE AIRCRAFT AIRCRAFT

(the bigger the better)

hello KSP players, large rockets are awesome but something just as awesome as a large big powerful rocket is a big graceful beautiful (and fast) airplane. my challenge here is to fly a high speed aircraft to the north pole (with out leaving the atmosphere). you have to go to a speed of at least 700 M/S and for bonus points carry at least 20 kerbals. if you do this please post pictures and the story of the flight in the comments section. as i write this im currently fling a large aircraft to the north pole with 36 kerbals on board.

good luck and happy landings.

(moar boosters will also make me happy)

Fun.  I don't do these sorts of missions or use these parts often enough.  

DKeJNyV.jpg

bgjqGc5.png

With 22 Kerbals, It can cruise at around 1350 m/s above 14,000 m.  On the surface of the ice it can go about 311 m/s.  Doubling the engines would definitely make it faster.

I decided to go for over 100 passengers this time.  Technically 101 Kerbals if we count the pilot.  

pJJDn8d.png

It took a while to get things tuned to work around so many Mk2 cabins.  But when you can do an 90 degree immelmann straight off the runway, the balance is close to right.

kSeFJKw.jpg

• 1 month later...

I remembered that I have an aeroplane in my hangar, which could be used as a polar express. It is my first SSTO spaceplane. It can just barely get to LKO with 350 m/s left. It has seats for 2 pilots and 16 passengers.

pcF8uRW.jpg

3 Whiplashes lift the spaceplane into altitude of 20 - 22 km and accelerate it to 1200m/s and then I activated Vector engine, which raised apoapsis to 58 km. By leaving thicker part of atmosphere, it can cruise at 1900 m/s without melting like a candle.

w2F3SLY.jpg

Landing at north pole

ie0FLaa.jpg

POsl9dk.jpg

see my imgur album:

https://imgur.com/a/3rq83na

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.