Out of the loop since 1.3, is this a good time to come back?

DDE

2 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

They added a halfbaked texture revamp

That’s what upset me. They seem to have thrown Ven off-balance, and that pack mattered to me quite a bit.

I do actually have a 1.3 install on an external drive.

• 2 weeks later...

v1.6.1 is pretty solid, and if you downloaded that there's a huge number of mods available, but as new versions get uploaded for v1.7.0 the older versions of the mods drop out of sight.

Some mods for v1.3 still work, and i use them. I have a couple of nice capsules, and some engines and fuel tanks, a set of docking ports...

One area I can think of which might have problems is wheels. Many of the wheel-related mods have been updated long ago, there's a couple I need to check.

The most recent versions of MechJeb and Module Manager are working fine with v1.7.0

Is there a master list somewhere so we can at least get an idea which mods 1.7 broke?

I've been wanting to get back in after being gone for nearly a year, but I have no idea what actually works on my standard mod list.  I've experimented some, but what works and what doesn't seems completely random.  There's this culture of "Don't ask, you're pestering the mod makers!" when you're only asking "if" and not "when".

22 hours ago, PolecatEZ said:

Is there a master list somewhere so we can at least get an idea which mods 1.7 broke?

I've been wanting to get back in after being gone for nearly a year, but I have no idea what actually works on my standard mod list.  I've experimented some, but what works and what doesn't seems completely random.  There's this culture of "Don't ask, you're pestering the mod makers!" when you're only asking "if" and not "when".

I think the reason that culture has grown is because many people just pop onto a forum and ask "does it work?" or some equivalent question without bothering to read previous posts. So you end up with all this needy "gimme gimme gimme" spam. Here's what I do -

1. Install it and see if it seems to work.
  2. Read recent posts
  3. Go to the Github and see if there's work being done on the mod
  4. If it doesn't work I make sure I'm not dealing with a mod conflict and the problem really is with the mod I'm testing
  5. Give at least a week or so after the update releases

After I've done all of that if I have a problem and nobody else has asked about it I might make a post that says "hey, I tried the mod on 1.7 and XXXX happened. Are others seeing this?" 

Why this approach?

1. I'm putting effort into it and trying to figure it out first
  2. The modder may not be aware of the issue and since I've done the testing I'm able to make a viable bug report - that helps the modder

Edited by Tyko

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.