Deployed Seismic Sensor Science From Eve

I'm curious whether anyone has completed this contract. If so, at what distance from the seismic sensor did you hit the surface? Also, what was the the mass and speed of your craft on surface impact? Did you get the pointy end down and was it under power?

My first attempt was pretty lame - floated down slowly and hit 20 km away. I did get a message from the sensor to the effect that there had been no effect.

I am, of course, in the process of trying again. (And have had no problem with this type of contract on other planets/moons)

Edited by mystifeid
add tags

I was surprised too. But happy.

5 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I was going to suggest a powered crasher to overcome the resistance of the atmosphere.

It's pretty difficult to get something really big to Eve, then slow down enough to avoid burning up halfway down through the pea soup and then turn the ship around so that it's pointing down and still have enough fuel left to make any difference at all to your speed in the last few km before impact.

I am also playing with plasma blackout which cuts in at anything over 800m/s below 50-60km.

Still, I was escalating the size of my ships conservatively and was still using S3 tanks since I reasoned it must be possible without resorting to the S4 tanks.

With each ship, the game was reloaded multiple times to achieve the best outcome. Each attempt began from a (roughly) 150km orbit (but was flown there from KSC and not cheated into orbit).

The third ship was having as little success as the second when during one attempt I came in too hot and exploded it high up. A couple of parts flew off.  After quite some time these parts hit the surface and had just as much effect as the whole ship impacting. What would happen then if I staged the radial tanks just before impact?

Tried staging the tanks at about 5km and they impacted the central stack and everything blew up.

Attempted to stage the tanks at 100m.

Success.

(Btw, a 5 star crew set up the deployed science)

Edited by mystifeid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.