My Update to KSP1.7.3/BG1.2 ... Did Not Go Well. Help?

Standard background info:  Win 10 running on i7-7820HK & 16GB RAM (i.e., not a potato).  My KSP is through Steam.  As of yesterday, I was running trouble-free.

Today, KSP auto-updated.  Started okay after that, but I didn't see any of the new parts in my Career save.  Quit out to Windows, restarted, started a new Sandbox game, still didn't see the new parts.  So, I did the obvious:  went into Steam and verified local files.  A couple files were corrupted, as expected.  So I let Steam do its thing, and then restarted KSP.

Only to find that I was borked ON STARTUP.  As soon as I got to the Main Menu, I also got a couple popup messages saying that the BG expansion didn't load because of a compatibility issue:  my BG was version 1.1, and version 1.2 is required. 

So, back to Steam.  Re-verify local files.  A couple are corrupted.  Let them re-download, the re-verify while still in Steam just to be sure:  Steam claims all is good now.

Same thing happens on startup.  KSP refuses to load the Breaking Ground expansion, with the same "this is V1.1 and V1.2 is required" error message as before.Com

So I invoked the "nuclear option".  I went into Steam, used its Uninstall utility, then did a clean install.  When that was done, I immediately started KSP (no mods, no existing saves, nothing--EXACTLY as installed by Steam).  On startup, KSP STILL claims I have Breaking Ground v1.1 and refuses to load it.

Does "uninstall" fail to uninstall the DLC?  Is there something else I need to do to nuke the Breaking Ground expansion and get a TRULY fresh/pure/virgin install?  I am at my wit's end here...

45 minutes ago, Srpadget said:

So I invoked the "nuclear option".  I went into Steam, used its Uninstall utility, then did a clean install.  When that was done, I immediately started KSP (no mods, no existing saves, nothing--EXACTLY as installed by Steam).  On startup, KSP STILL claims I have Breaking Ground v1.1 and refuses to load it.

I would do the Global Thermonuclear option:

• Get the path to KSP from Steam
  • Uninstall from Steam.
  • Go to that path in your OS and delete the directory. Clear your recycle bin too why not.
  • Install from Steam.

If that doesn't work buy a new computer and sign up with a new Steam account :D No j/k come back here for more.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Get the path to KSP from Steam

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow, but... I assume you mean something different than merely the installed location on my hard drive?  (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program)

Is there some intermediate location where Steam stores a temp file or something?

Okay, assuming you DID mean for me to clear out the directory that KSP is installed in--Steam's Uninstall DID in fact leave some files undeleted in that directory.  So I deleted all remaining files after the uninstall, and deleted the Kerbal Space Program directory itself, and yes I emptied the Recycle Bin too.

Then into Steam for a reinstall, which seemed to take longer than the previous SEVERAL REINSTALLS I've done today (not that I'm annoyed, or bitter...), so I figured that was a good sign.

But no joy.  Exactly the same "Breaking Ground 1.1 is not compatible, you should install BG 1.2 instead" error.

So I'm back at the "how can I make this MORE clean/pure/virginal?" phase of confusion/frustration/cluelessness.  That, and wondering if Steam's own install script and/or supporting files are somehow hosed...except that I'm not seeing a wide-ranging hue and cry, so it MUST be just me....  ;.;

41 minutes ago, Srpadget said:

So I'm back at the "how can I make this MORE clean/pure/virginal?" phase of confusion/frustration/cluelessness.  That, and wondering if Steam's own install script and/or supporting files are somehow hosed...except that I'm not seeing a wide-ranging hue and cry, so it MUST be just me....  ;.;

Do you have cloud saving enabled in Kerbal?

Check from Library, Right Click Kerbal, Properties->Updates->Steam Cloud

Do you have any antivirus?Try Disabling it while you install Kerbal.

After that clear the Steams Downloads Cache and last maybe try installing to a different library/disk/directory.Maybe you have a user permission problem.

Edited by Boyster

3 hours ago, Srpadget said:

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow, but... I assume you mean something different than merely the installed location on my hard drive?  (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program)

Is there some intermediate location where Steam stores a temp file or something?

Sorry I went to play Rocket league for like 4 hours :D Yes I meant that location in steamapps\common. IIRC if you have any mods installed it won't wipe the gamedata folder. Possibly including DLC.

Welp, more weirdness.  But this time it's GOOD weirdness.

I got home from work this afternoon, saw the above additional things to try, rolled up my (metaphorical) sleeves, and prepared to do battle with Steam.

But Steam was telling me I had a KSP update queued.  No idea why, but there it was.  So I let it download/install/start.

And KSP is happy as a clam, with the new/correct Breaking Ground.  Not a clue what happened while I was asleep and/or at work.

It seems to be working okay, too.  ::shrug::

Thanks for the tips!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.